Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reissue Gen1 Hotrod again?

Default Reissue Gen1 Hotrod again?

HK online store Robotkingdom has just listed a pre-order for a reissue of the Gen1 Hotrod toy in June... noted as a Walmart exclusive (in America).

If this ends up being true, there are so many questions... like, is this the start of a new round of reissues from Hasbro, or, is this just a one-off toy because Walmart was the exclusive home of the Hotrod character from the TF5 movie, or, Hasbro had rushed to production various random exclusives for ToysRUs late last year to help keep them in business (before the decision to liquidate the business), and now Hasbro are having to find other retailers for those exclusives.

Hopefully Hasbro will make some announcements about this soon, as the next official event for announcements is SDCC in July, which is after this one comes out.
    (if not, we will probably have the usual Chinese leaks, if this is the first of a series)

FatalityPitt Guest

I think this is good, for people who don't already have Hot Rod. Hopefully this G1 Hot Rod becomes available here. I don't have a G1 Hot Rod myself. I've had opportunities to get a pre-owned copy, but could never justify paying the prices they were asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    but could never justify paying the prices they were asking for.
    Speaking of which, US$35.90 (roughly AU$50) seems like a lot to pay for a G1 Hot Rod. The first reissue was about AU$30 and I seem to recall the Hasbro Commemorative Series reissue selling at local TRU here for around that price. Even reissue Rodimus Convoy was cheaper at about $40.

My reissue Hot Rodimus was stolen but I still have my reissue Targetmaster Hot Rodimus (plus by old G1 Hot Rod). Not sure if I can justify getting another G1 Hot Rod for this price though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    My reissue Hot Rodimus was stolen but I still have my reissue Targetmaster Hot Rodimus (plus by old G1 Hot Rod). Not sure if I can justify getting another G1 Hot Rod for this price though.
    They're selling the nostalgia factor with the G1 box... I have all the Japanese reissues but for the US old school box design, I might just bite on this one

I jumped on it... just cause of the retro box

If it comes in that box I'd be tempted, but I don't think it's likely to come in that box.

“Pre packaged Star Wars characters still in their display box? Are those the limited edition action figures? Why it’s Luke, and Obi-wan, and my favourite Chewie! They’re all here!”

G1 Figures in their original packaging. This is what I’ve been dreaming of.

The 'Generation One Commemorative Series' Rodimus Major cost A$35 at Toys 'R' Us in Australia back in 2003. Adjusted for inflation (2017) that is now around A$50.

*rubs chin*
    *does maths*

You're right.

My working...

In 2003 Deluxes (known as Max-Cons) cost about $25.
    Disclaimer: I'm working off the Japanese RRP but IIRC the AU RRP wasn't too different, so give or take a few dollars.
    This year the price of Deluxe figures has risen to $35, representing a x1.4 price rise.
    If Commemorative Series Rodimus Major cost $35 in 2003, then 1.4 x $35 = $49, which of course rounds up to $50.

So yeah, it is on par with the rate of inflation for Deluxe Class figures. Other size classes have also risen in price, but it happened a few years ago. Remember when Scout Class figures used to be $15? They're now called Legends Class and they're $20, so that's a rise of x1.3. And the cost of Voyagers (formerly known as Megas) and Ultras also crept up during the Unicron Trilogy years. Voyagers now sell for the cost of Ultras and although it's been a while since we've had any Ultras in stores, they did sell at $70.

I guess it's like being a frog saucepan.

Now up for preorder on Toybot Importz as well: https://www.toybotimportz.com.au/col...utobot-hot-rod
    Just stock photos for now, be interesting to see what packaging this ends up using and if they end up reissuing more G1 figures