Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this world becoming too politicaly correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    No, what Golden Phoenix posted. *face palm*
    ouch, at least you could of taken the glove off first..
    Last edited by Tabias Prime; 19th December 2009 at 11:07 PM.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The current fat jolly Santa image emerged from a 1930s Coca Cola marketing campaign anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The Coca-Cola Santa - I have known that for years and it alwasy amazes me how corporate marketing can influence culture. The Coca-Cola Santa is pretty much the symbol of world wide Christmas and he was just a marketing campaign to sell more coke!
    Sorry guys... but this is not actually true! It's an urban myth! Coke didn't invent the current image of Santa, but it's a myth that they did (because he appeared in their advertising and shares the same colours). It simply isn't true!

Here's a link to some pics of Santa (before Coke used him) in his "Coke" colours!

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    Sorry guys... but this is not actually true! It's an urban myth! Coke didn't invent the current image of Santa, but it's a myth that they did (because he appeared in their advertising and shares the same colours). It simply isn't true!

Here's a link to some pics of Santa (before Coke used him) in his "Coke" colours!
    Coke still popularized that particular image of Santa Claus and made it reach global public conciousness. If they had not used it in their marketing campaign that particular take on Santa Claus would not be as overwhelmingly prominent as it is now.

Robzy: I never said "invent", I said "emerged," as in the image was popularised by that campaign. I didn't say that Coke created it though. It's similar to how articulation in Transformers emerged from Beast Wars, but actually originated in G2.

I assumed that coke visualised the description of Mr Claus in "the Night Before Christmas" tale and made that popular.

Its quite interesting in the ways that things change over time. I have been looking at Movie 2 Ejector lately contemplating the "Satan" influence in him. Ejector has a tail, backwards jointed legs, little horns on his head and he like fire and as I was thinking of that comparison with the circa 1500/1600 view of Satan example pics here and here and it made me think of an article I read on Witchcraft and more specifially the witch hunts.

In the time of the wicth hunts, the church non-christians were often regarded as withes as they were Pagans (this is circa 600AD I think) and to aid in the negative depiction of Pagans, the church started to blend Satan and the Pagan god Pan together. The Pagans did worship Pan as a god (as well as others) and this blending with Satan made it seem in some peoples eyes that since they admitted to worshipping Pan (who now looked like Satan) they worshipped Satan = Witches.

Now I have noticed that in popular fiction, Satan is often represented as a suave dapper chap in a nice suit.

Gok, if you know of any links to original fairy tales before they were "Disney-ised" I would love to read them, I hear that Sleeping Beauty is a bit nastier than one is lead to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Gok, if you know of any links to original fairy tales before they were "Disney-ised" I would love to read them, I hear that Sleeping Beauty is a bit nastier than one is lead to believe...
    The Brothers Grimm are responsible for a lot of what regard as "Disneyfication" of fairy tales.

While they originally collected folk tales from around Germany, as their books became more popular later editions were edited to soften some of the more negative themes.

Find an early edition of their collected folk tales and you should get a fairly reliable version of what the 'originals' were like. Before the Brothers Grimm of course, few people recorded the stories as they were part of an oral tradition.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

Anyone ever seen the animé "Ah! My Goddess"? A cute take on Norse mythology (re: Three Fates).

I have no time for this PC garbage. Grandfathers being questioned by police for playing with their grandchildren in a park; all males automatically being suspected of child abuse just because they live there (brothers, fathers, etc); people's individual choice to be offended has somehow turned into an obligation on others to protect people from their own feelings; new words for illnesses/disorders every couple of years; the Tiger Woods character assassination; etc

As soon as people start taking responsibility for themselves, rather than externalising EVERYTHING, the better this world will be.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby View Post
    As soon as people start taking responsibility for themselves, rather than externalising EVERYTHING, the better this world will be.
    I been saying that for years. Far too many people are thin skinned.