Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast Hunters Ultimate Optimus & Predaking out & pics

Rest of my images as promised. I tried not to double up with anyone else's.

For those wanting the barcode of this one it's 6-53569-84949-0

Packaging...

Still in the insert. Legs are not transformed into beast mode. There are two joints in the knee, and they just left the legs in robot mode and just bent them at the knee.

This is the beast mode with the legs properly transformed as beast legs. It's not noticeably different (I wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't see the extra hinge and tabs when transforming it), so it can work either way in Beast mode, if you were lazy and wanted to skip a step of the transformation.

All the bits that come off. I was surprised that the wings just slip right off... often while just transforming it. They sit over the battery covers, so probably was unavoidable, although it makes it another gimmick that ends up sabotaging the playability of the toy (because it is frustrating how easily they come off).

The transformation is as simple as most of the Deluxe Beasts in this series, in that it pretty much just stands up and folds out the legs and head. The wrists are ball-socket joints, which have very little strength for the heavy "sword". If you pose it with the sword on an angle, the hand will flop down from the weight of it. It seems ironic that the bio says no one else can wield the mighty infernum sword, but the design of this toy makes it difficult for Predaking to hold it as well.
    With the fist holes going all the way through the hands, it makes it possible to have the two missile launchers on one hand if it is holding the sword in the other, or stick them in the post-holes on the outsides of each forearm like on the packaging.

Bit disappointed that the sword/tail isn't painted part-orange like on the box. But I guess it was one of the cost elements to be cut between prototype and production.

Another shot of all three size classes of Predaking.

Now to find Optimus...

Got my Predaking tonight and to be honest I am a little disappointed. Unfortunately I felt every good point was balanced by a bad point and as a result feels like a figure derived of compromise.
    That being said, first I will summarise the good, his colours are fantastic, vibrant contrasting black and orange looks amazing. Strong ratchet joints in the elbows, shoulders and knees are fantastic. Ball jointed wrists (though a little weak) and ankles are welcome additions allowing for good poseability. His dragon head gimmick is fun and the simultaneous illumination looks great.

Onto the bad, transformation, for a figure at this price point I was expecting the transformation to take more than 30 seconds. His wings though articulated aren't amazingly poseable and as Griffin stated have a tendency to fall off. Robot mode head looks odd, his chin needs more depth (like the voyager). Both modes feel compromised to allow for the other mode, with neither really pulling off a solid look.

In summary I still like this piece and I glad I bought it, but is it worth $69? No, unfortunately it is not, wait for a sale.

Thanks for the pics and reviews!

Seems a little disappointing. It's frustrating to see this level of engineering on a large-scaled figure. The Voyager version's transformation, while simple, has that neat lower body bit..

Is there $69 worth of value in Predaking? i could walk into a Kmart store today and purchase 3 FoC Deluxes ($19 each), 2 Prime Legends ($5 each) and still have $2 left over for a kit kat. I like the look, but i'll consider him when/if they go on clearance pricing.
    Last edited by Sinnertwin; 18th May 2013 at 01:57 AM.

The other main gimmick that ends up stunting the poseability of this toy is the "biting head" gimmick.
    You push on a leaver at the base of the neck, and the head moves forward as if biting (the jaw opens as the head moves forward). As such, there is no articulation to the neck outside of the gimmick's range of forward and back motion.

Based on the size though, in Australia this is a better value toy than the Voyager class. Because we pay $45-50 for Voyagers, while this Ultimate is $69 - it is only about 50% more expensive, and only needs to impress a little more to be worth it. But in America the Voyager class is about AU$20 (plus tax), which means that if this Ultimate version is indeed AU$60 (plus tax), that's a 200% difference... making it need to impress Americans a lot more to be worth the extra expense of this one over the Voyager version.

lololol Guest

ill pay aussie prices and desperate american prices lol. who wants my money

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbleb33 View Post
    Got my Predaking tonight and to be honest I am a little disappointed. Unfortunately I felt every good point was balanced by a bad point and as a result feels like a figure derived of compromise...
    I've got mine on layby at the moment but Hasbro has stated that they are trying to move away from overly complicated transformations.

If this guy is a breeze to change I'll take that as a positive because I look at BW TM2 Megatron and I'm hesitant to transform him to dragon mode. Or even worse, BM Nightscream (horrible!)

So this is going to retail in the USA at $60 bucks for Predaking, but really doubt once there is wind of how average it is the price is going to plummet. Sorry if others disagree, maybe I would like it more if I had watched series 3 TF Prime, but I am currently thinking if it will be a drama returning mine with the twisty ties removed, might wait until someone dry brushes him up with some silver or gold before i decide...was really excited for this guy.

Smile tales of the beast hunters

anyone got a pic of ultimate optimus's tales of the beast hunters chapter?

Just got back from Chermside in Brisbane and Kmart had 5 Primes and 3 Predakings if anyone is interested. I didn't get either as they really didn't impress me.