15 46.88%
  • Not very good

6 18.75%
  • I refuse to have anything to do with it

1 3.13%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (JULY-2013) Armada Era - Rate it

Default (JULY-2013) Armada Era - Rate it

The Entire Era/Series as a whole (you can include the Japanese version if you want), how does it rate in the world of Transformers:

- Best Ever
    - One of the better ones
    - Average
    - Not very good
    - I refuse to have anything to do with it

Overall I rate this as average.

there was some good stuff. Super Con Optimus and Tidal Wave, the PS2 transformers game for example and most of the minicons. But there was also a lot of rubbish as well. *cough*Laserbeak*cough* The cartoon was incredibly boring as well.

Laserbeak was never an Autobot... Just like there is only 3 Indiana Jones movies and 1 Starship Troopers movie

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    Laserbeak was never an Autobot... Just like there is only 3 Indiana Jones movies and 1 Starship Troopers movie
    But there is only 1 Starship Troopers movie!

Unicron and the PS2 game. The 2 most memorable things from this line. I didn't even own a PS2. I borrowed my brothers and bought the game. And it was awesome. The level where you fight Tidal Wave remains one of my favourites.
    And Tidal Wave was a pretty good toy too. 4 alt modes in one was a very clever design given the limitations the design team had to work with.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tidal Wave, Unicron and Jetfire of course
    Cartoon was OK, coming off RID it did its own thing and set up for two more series which half way through Energon I noticed it was basically the same bollocks.

I think it was one of the better ones.

The cartoon let it down a bit, but mostly because it was padded... as the story itself was fairly decent (a hunt first, then the battle against Unicron at the end).
    The Comic did a better job at telling a story, but had to do it in 18 "episodes" so had to pack a lot in at the end, and ended up going nuts with the multi-universe concept and characters.

This series had one of the best (Transformers) computer games I had ever played, which gives it bonus points for the rating above. I would spend hours playing it, and then replaying it.

As for the toys - they hit Australia with a delayed, but big launch. Apparently we had a 5 month delay due to American stores wanting more stock than the factory could produce. This was probably the one series that had me most excited about it starting, as there was a lot of hype from the series by this stage, and it was new & it was vehicles.
    Since I was at BotCon in 2002, I was lucky to be one of the first Australians with Armada toys (Hasbro gave out free toys to people at the Dinner), and even saw the first episode at that event. The excitement of that night, gave it such a great first impression.... and then a year later, we had Unicron. After all these years, we finally got a Unicron toy that was able to look like Unicron, and make an acceptable planet mode as well.

At the very least, at the end of it all, Armada gave us the legacy of Minicons/Microns, and Minicon ports... which are still being produced over a decade later. No other series created a gimmick that has been utilised continuously like that.

Another legacy of Armada was the universal standardisation of the 5mm weapon post/fist hole size. The majority of Transformers made since Armada have interchangeable weapons and they are also reverse-compatible with any pre-Armada Transformers made with the 5mm post, like the original G1 Optimus Prime! I really love the cross-compatibility of toys w/ 5mm post weapons!

Captimus Prime wielding the TFP Star Sabre and 1984 G1 Optimus Prime's rifle!

Ultimate Optimus Prime decked out with 5mm post weapons!

The first Transformers series I ever saw. Can't say it was the best ones, but I loved it at the time, still enjoy it now. My first figures were from the series, Powerlinx Jetfire and Overload (Then Optimus ~9 years later).

Wasn't massively keen on the cartoon but damn did they have some fantastic toys ! And look at the average size of them compared to what classifies as a deluxe now The mini-cons also added a lot of play value to those bigger figures as well. One of the better ones in my opinion (they gave us Unicron for Primus sake!!!)

I was and am a big fan of armada, was the start of the unicron trilogy and some awesome toys!
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast