2 11.76%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

3 17.65%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Autobot Breakaway

Quote Originally Posted by Maruten View Post
    No, no, Twinferno! Twinferno is the weakest by MILES. The other three are pretty close.
    Wash your mouth out with soap and water this instant!!

I'm pretty indifferent to this toy; it's not bad but next to a fully upgraded Chromedome (pictured below) it's bland as all getout (away?).

At any rate, it's a must-have for the G1 collection so voted 'Yes' to buying. Glad I only paid $15 for mine though.

As an aside, my partner absolutely LOVES him - She is especially in love with the car mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I'm pretty indifferent to this toy; it's not bad but next to a fully upgraded Chromedome (pictured below) it's bland as all getout (away?).
    I don't think it's quite fair to compare a standard release Breakaway with your upgraded Chromedome. I'm assuming that you paid extra money for those stickers too, so ultimately you're looking at the cost of what you paid for Chromedome + the cost of acquiring those stickers vs. the bare cost of Breakaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    At any rate, it's a must-have for the G1 collection so voted 'Yes' to buying. Glad I only paid $15 for mine though.
    Perhaps the "Only if cheap" option may be the most appropriate for you if you personally feel that this toy isn't worth paying $30 for.

Only if cheap would imply he's not a necessary part of the collection. I'm not in love with Breakaway but he's still a must have character as part of the CHUG brigade 😀

Would I be correct in assuming that, had you not had the chance to get this toy for $15, that you would have been just as willing to pay $30 for it? (just asking outta curiosity )

Finally got mine from an online supplier, and added some colour.

FatalityPitt Guest

I wasn't planning on getting this guy at first, but I picked him up today. I've taken a real shine to him and I'm glad to have changed my mind (could just be new-toy-bias though).

I'm pleasantly surprised. He's really not as bad as some reviewers make him out to be. Joints are just as tight as Chromedome's, and Breakaway is certainly the prettier of the two (with the white deco and rose red windshield).

It's fairly easy to stereotype TR Breakaway as a white Chromedome, but there are some nuances to this mold that seem similar to the original Powermaster Getaway. While TR Breakaway ditches the Powermaster gimmick for a Titanmaster one, and the car has Chromedome's silhouette; I think the transformation itself is closer to G1 Getaway than G1 Chromedome. Like G1 Getaway, the TR version's car bonnet folds into a back-pack (not in the exact same way but similar), and the rest of the transformation involves flipping out the legs and rotating the waist, etc. Whereas with G1 Chromedome, you'd just remove the head, raise the arms, fold robot in half - Viola! Car! With the transformation being relatively similar to his G1 Powermaster counterpart, this mold arguably belongs to Breakaway/Getaway as much as it belongs to Chromedome.

I was thinking about doing a few paint modifications to make him look more like his G1 Powermaster toy, like painting the shins red, the arms blue, and the face a beige colour; but I really don't mind the paint scheme as is.

Me likes it.

I'm finding his colour scheme and both modes a tad bland to be honest. Snaketales did a great job of improving that