Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of September 10th.

Amazing Spider-Man #571 - I'm just echoing what most people are thinking about this current arc, it's great, much better than previous OMD/BND arcs. Another enjoyable issue in the New Ways to Die! arc. I enjoyed the quick rumble between Osborn and Menace, and some good progress was made. Looking forward to next issue, watch out Spidey, Bullseye has his sights set on you!

Civil War: House of M #1 - Quite a late entry for the whole House of M event. Civil War: House of M deals with Magneto's rise to power in the House of M reality, it's not some wacky crossover between the Civil War and House of M major events (which is what I first thought it was when I saw it in the Marvel solicits a while back). Enjoyable first issue, only one minor gripe, could Magneto really do that to Apocolypse? That's quite the OP attack there. Well I will be following this one for sure.

Deadpool #1 - Our favourite merc with the mouth is back! Thrown into a Secret Invasion scenario, a silly one at that. Now why would the Skrulls attack a baseball game? Deadpool seemed more stupid then sarcastic here but all in all a fun issue. I just do hope we see some familiar faces later on, Weasal, Bob of Hydra and the lovely ladies from Agency X.

Ms. Marvel #30 - And with that we conclude the Secret Invasion tie in for Ms. Marvel. It was a fun action packed ride and from the looks of things we might see some more Skrulls later on. I don't know what to think about the epilogue though which is set a few months later, so I guess it's obvious that ...
    /SPOILER/the Superheroes won in the end (against the Skrulls) .., wait is that even a spoiler?/END SPOILER/
    I do hope in later issues we get reunited with Carol's crew again and get some more light shed on William Wagner.

Patsy Walker: Hellcat #3 - Yeah the whole magic hoo-ha plot is silly but I love Patsy Walker as a character and I'm quite fond of the art. It's still a fun read, a bit of a distraction from all these Secret Invasion titles at the moment. Only two more issues left for this mini series, I really do hope we get to see more of Patsy after this finishes, I really really like her.

Secret Invasion #6 - Ahh the everyone rally together for the big showdown issue. I have to admit though I felt a bit cheated with this issue, a lot of scene cuts and jumps, I would of liked to have seen some of them more fleshed out, say the meeting between Captain America and Thor. But other than that, yeah the last few pages were ace, I mean Fury and his "Yeah? Well my god has a hammer!" line was brilliant. And do I spot Howard the Duck between Statures chest? Haha. Only two (right?) more issues left, it's coming to an end. I'm feeling that Secret Invasion could have been a whole lot more than what it is now.

Secret Invasion: Inhumans #2 - My god that close up of Blackbolt's face as he goes "*" is the stuff of nightmares.This feels a bit more important then you standard Secret Invasion tie in mainly because it's Blackbolt here but I (we) know that what the Skrulls are planning to do with him won't probably have any effect or impact to what's happening in the main Secret Invasion series which is why I feel like this might go the way of filler. But I'm still enjoying this and I do look forward to see how things pan out for the Inhumans.

Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers #3 - Final issue for this mini series. The series primarily focused on half of the whole (two) group(s); Hulking, Wiccan, Speed and a few of the Runaways (don't read Runaways can't be bothered naming names). I would of liked to have seen the whole Young Avengers group together battling the Skrulls but as we know the rest of them were running around with Fury (as seen in the main series). More enjoyable than the Fantastic Four one that's for sure but still a pretty mediocre mini series. Bit dissapointing as I am quite a fan of the Young Avengers. I'll finish up with a positive note though, I loved the final page with Molly cursing Speed.

Secret Invasion: X-Men #2 - Wow I really don't like how some of the faces are drawn here. More or less your standard Secret Invasion tie in fluff, replace whatever hero with the X-Men and location to San Francisco. Just one thing though, continuity what ...
    /SPOILER/The hell? That was Archangel there I saw with the X-Force crew. So what now Angel can freely turn into Archangel and be in full control of himself? I'm hoping to expect some answers in coming X-Force issues./END SPOILER/

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    And do I spot Howard the Duck between Statures chest?
    HA! You're right, I didn't notice that the first time I read it.

Great to see Howard taking a stance even after how badly he was treated with the Registration Act.

piratescratch on Marvel comics for the week of September 17th.

Amazing Spider-Man #572 - New Ways to Die! rocks. Another top issue of Amazing Spider-Man. I'm going to have to spoiler tag most of this.
    /SPOILER/I have to admit it was nice to see Freak from one of the early (mediocre) BND arcs, currently being used (or should I say abused) by Osborn. Well he was thrown in some freezer owned by Oscorp. It feels like they weren't just one off filler enemies until the big things started to happen.

Also final page with Scorpion Venom, wow he looks badass.
    /END SPOILER/

Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #33 - Or should I have call it War Machine: Weapon of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Aren't we a bit late to the party? Here we have Iron Man: DOS' tie in for Secret Invasion except War Machine has the spotlight. Nothing really new or interesting here, same old Secret Invasion fluff that's been going on for the past couple of months. Though I must admit the final pages were pretty awesome and it looks like War Machine is going to go all badass on the Skrulls soon.

Marvel Apes #2 - Wow we didn't even have to wait a month and we've already got our second issue of Marvel Apes. I wasn't impressed too much by the first issue and this second issue doesn't do it for me either. Silly twist in the middle with ...
    /SPOILER/monkey Captain America and his Invanders being vampires, what what what?/END SPOILER/
    The only reason why I'll continue on with this is that I'm genuinely interested in what might happen in future issues (ala what monkey Captain America says on the broadcast). Oh and drunk monkey Watcher was amusing.

Mighty Avengers #18 - Love the art here, fantastic work from Caselli. Here we get to see Fury being a jerk to his new Howling Commando team but it was all for their own good. Nothing really happens here, bit on an uneventful issue but I do look forward to next months Mighty Avengers where hopefully we'll get to see them in action.

Secret Invasion: Thor #2 - Action in Asgard. Birth in Broxton. That pretty much sums up this issue. That female super Skrull is hideous, I think it's those purple tights. Final issue next month for this mini series and from the looks of it we finally get to see Thor in action. Oh and speaking of Thor, when's #11 out! How long as it been!

Uncanny X-Men #502 - There's just something really creepy with the way Land draws female faces. Enjoyable issue if not a bit forgetful, nothing much really to really comment about. I'm looking forward to where this goes with the Red Queen and the Hellfire Cult.

X-Men: First Class #16 - Aww and here I thought we were getting a Spider-Man, Human Torch and Iceman team up. Instead it's just Torch and Iceman. Good light hearted fun here much like other First Class issues. Spidey's extended cameo was nice, ditto Scorpion and Beetle's bickering over what they should call themselves. Next we're getting a Giant Size issue and then I think X-Men: First Class is going on hiatus?

Young X-Men #6 - Change of artist, Young X-Men is much nicer looking now, first five issues suffered from some pretty bland art. Pretty much setting status quo here in this issue. We get one new member introduced at the end of the issue but I'm sure you can guess who it's going to be from the cover. It's ...
    /SPOILER/Anole, glad to see more characters from New X-Men/Academy X./END SPOILER/
    Other than that Graymalkin's still a mystery, a bit of a nice twist revealed. And I really liked the Rockslide hugging Cyclops page, d'aaw. Well after a mediocre start, I have a feeling that this series might pick up some slack. I still have some hopes for this.

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Uncanny X-Men #502 - There's just something really creepy with the way Land draws female faces.
    I know why that is... but it's not appropriate to talk about here.

Pretty quiet week for comics really.

Secret Invasion was lite. Two issues, one involving Asgard, the other, MORE backstory.

Big surprise of the week was the new member of (Captain Britain &) MI:13 ... extracted directly from Manhattan in the middle of a Skrull invasion ... BLADE! Didn't know he was British. Guess they needed to use the character some how, never imagined it would have been him though.

Marvel Apes just reeks of "trying too hard". I think it started off as a joke but someone high up said "make it serious, Marvel Zombies serious" ... so they did what they did. I too am just reading to see what happens, certaintly not because i'm enjoying it.

Thankfully this week also saw the wrap-up of the train wreck that was GeNext. That was one god awful mini-series.

Here's hoping for a big week next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    Here's hoping for a big week next week.
    Next week looks very promising.

I'm looking forward to the following:

Avengers: The Initiative #17 - best Avengers title hands down.
    Captain America #42 - which will finally wrap up the epic behemoth that is the Death of Captain America saga.
    Deadpool #2 - hey we didn't have to wait a whole month for next issue!
    Ms. Marvel #31
    New Avengers #45
    Secret Invasion: Amazing Spider-Man #2 - yeah sure first issue was pretty bad but I'll stick around anyway.
    Thunderbolts #124
    Wolverine: First Class #7
    X-Force #7

My third post on these forums since joining.

I'm currently trying to complete a Star Wars-oriented book and comic collection based on Pre Episode 1 and Post Episode 3 cannon (so nothing between the fictional years 32-31BBY and 10BBY) . I'm currently after anything that fits within the Star Wars time lines that I haven't listed here and which doesn't fit into this black area of Star Wars canon time I don't want to associate myself with.

If anyone has any Star Wars comics they are willing to sell me then they can let me know and I may/may not be interested in making a deal in order to complete my collection. I'm currently trying to hunt down Any of the issues which are in square brackets [], Any Empire/Rebellion/KotOR /Legacy/Rogue Squadron issues which I haven't listed, And the First Run of the series Crimson Empire.

My SW Comic collection as of 22/09/08:

<OLD REPUBLIC ERA - 25000ABY-1000ABY>
    Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith - 0,1,2,3,4,5 - 1996 - 5000BBY
    Tales of the Jedi: Fall of the Sith Empire - 1,2,3,4,5 - 1997 - 5000BBY
    Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic - 1,2,3,4,5 - 1993/1994 - 3998BBY
    Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising - 1,2 - 1997 - 3998BBY
    Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1994-1995 - 3997BBY
    Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1995 - 3996BBY
    Tales of the Jedi: Redemption - [1]2,3,4,5 - 2001 - 3986BBY

KotOR - 0(flip with Rebellion 0),19,20,21,22,23,24 - 2006 3964BBY
    Jedi vs. Sith - 1,2,3,4[5]6 - 2001 - 1000BBY

<RISE OF THE EMPIRE ERA - 1000BBY-0ABY>
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 1,2[3,4] - 1999 - 32BBY
    Bounty Hunters (4 pts): 1.Aura Sing - Truman - 1999 - 32BBY

Droids 1[2,3,4,5,6,7,8] - Manak - 1986/1987 - 10/6BBY
    Han Solo: At Stars' End - 1,2,3 - 1997 - 2BBY
    Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire - 1,2,3,4 - Wagner - 1999 - 1BBY
    Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire - 1997 - 1BBY

<A NEW HOPE - 0BBY/ABY>
    A New Hope (Manga tr.) 1[2,3,4] - Hisao Tamaki - 1998 - 0BBY
    Classic Star Wars (1-20): 1,2,5 - Goodwin/Williamson - 1992 - 0ABY?
    Vader's Quest - 1,2,3,4 - Macan - 1999 - 0ABY
    Empire (40 pts) - 7,16,17,18:0ABY /22:0.25ABY /19,21,23,24,25,26,27:0.5/0.6ABY
    Rebellion - 0(flip with KotOR 0),1,2,3,4,5 - 2006 - 0.75ABY
    River of Chaos - 1,2,3[4] - Simenson - 1995 - 2ABY

<THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - 3ABY>
    Bounty Hunters (4 pts): 2.Scoundrel's Wages - Schultz - 1999 - 3.5ABY
    Shadows of the Empire - Kenner Special - Wagner - May 1996 - 3.5ABY
    Shadows of the Empire - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Wagner - 1996 - 3.5ABY

<RETURN OF THE JEDI - 4ABY>
    Return of the Jedi (Marvel Specials) 1,2,3,4 - 1983/1984 - 4ABY
    Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand - [0 - 0BBY]1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1998/1999 - 4ABY
    The Jabba Tape - Wagner/Plunkett - 1998 - 4ABY

<NEW REPUBLIC ERA - 5ABY-25ABY>
    Rogue Squadron - Handbook Vol.1 - 1998 - 4/5ABY
    Rogue Squadron: Rebel Opposition (#1-4) - 1,2,3,4 - Stackpole - 1995 - 5ABY
    Rogue Squadron: Phantom Affair (#5-8) - 1,2,3,4 - Stackpole - 1996 - 5ABY
    Rogue Squadron: Warrior Princess (#13-16) - 1,2,3,4 - 1996/1997 - 4/5ABY

Shadows of the Empire: Evolution - 1,2,3,4,5 - Perry - 1998 - 4/5ABY
    Classic Star Wars: The Vandelhelm Mission - 1995 - 4/5ABY

Rogue Squadron: Masquerade (#28-#31) - [1,2,3]4 - Stackpole - 5ABY
    Rogue Squadron: Mandatory Retirement (#32-#35) 1,2[3,4] - Stackpole - 4/5ABY

Dark Forces: Rebel Agent - 1998 - 5/6ABY

Heir to the Empire - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Zahn/Baron - 1995 - 9ABY
    Dark Force Rising - 1,2,3,4[5]6 - Zahn/Baron - 1997 - 9ABY
    The Last Command - 1,2,3,4,5,6- Zahn/Baron - 1998 - 9ABY

Dark Empire I - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Veitch/Kennedy - 1991/1992 - 10ABY
    Dark Empire II - special,1,2,3,4,5,6 - Veitch/Kennedy - 1995 - 10ABY
    Empire's End - 1,2 - Veitch/Baikie - 1997 - 11ABY

Crimson Empire - Handbook Vol.2 - 1999 - 11ABY
    Bounty Hunters (4 pts): 3.Kenix Kil - Stradley - 1999 - 11ABY
    Crimson Empire II - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Richardson/Stradley - 1998/1999 - 11ABY
    Jedi Academy: Leviathan - 1,2,3,4 - 1998/1999 - 12ABY

Union - 1,2,3,4 -1999/2000 - 20ABY

<NEW JEDI ORDER - 25ABY-37ABY>

Chewbacca - [1,2]3[4] - 2000 - 25/26ABY?

<LEGACY ERA - 40ABY-150ABY>

Legacy - 0,1,18 - Ostrander - 2006-2008 - 137ABY
    ---
    Star Wars: Tales (1-24) - 1,5,11,15 - 1999-2005 (Various ABY/BBY)
    Star Wars (Marvel) - 1,48,52

I got some Birthday Money in Advance so I decided to go to Pulp Fiction and Splurge a bit

I managed to aquire

All Hail Megatron # 3 - IDW

Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt Book VII, The Legacy #3 of 3 - Devil's Due

Runaways #1 - Marvel

Sonic The Hedgehog #191 - Archie

Ultimate X-men # 89 to #97 - Marvel

World of Warcraft #9 and #10 - Wildstorm

World of Warcraft: Ashbringer #1 of 4 - Wildstorm

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of September 24th.

Avengers: The Initiative #17 - Yeah! You are the best Avengers title! Another fantastic issue. We're still going through the Secret Invasion tie in but unlike most other titles Avengers: The Intiative still manages to be top notch. Quite a lot going on in this issue; Shadow Initiative along with Ant-man, we get to see a glimpse of Mutant Zero (time to throw out speculations on who she is), we see the Kill Krew and few of the first graduates cruising around America taking out Skrulls, and throw in a bit of Crusader and Fury for good measure. I always look forward to this title and next month can't get here any sooner.

Captain America #42 - We finally wrap up this epic arc. There's a few loose ends here and there (which will most likely be dealt with in the future) but all in all it's been an unbelievably awesome ride to the very end. I really like the final page (epilogue three), has that fantastic "horror movie mad scientist" vibe. I can't wait to see what's next for (Bucky) Captain America.

Deadpool #2 - Wow we didn't have to wait a month, just two weeks, and we already have our next issue of Deadpool. First issue was good but nothing special, second issue is better. Deadpool messing with the Skrulls, good fun. But the big clincher for this is the final page, oh hey ...
    /SPOILER/Fury was behind this all along, how many cookie jars does this guy have his hand in!/END SPOILER/

Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall and the Death Queen of California #1 - One shots I tend to stay away from (most of them are usually Wolverine ones) but I decided to give this Iron Fist one a go. I'm glad I did. Enjoyable one shot starring Orson Randall (as opposed to Danny), it's sort of like those issues of Immortal Iron Fist that focuses on past Iron Fists. Nice clean art and colours, good writing and pace, not as action packed as other Iron Fist issues but there's some gun tooting towards the end. Iron Fist fans be sure to pick this up.

Ms. Marvel #31 - The Secret Invasion tie in wrapped up last issue. Sort of an interlude here, Carol just visits her estranged family. Something about ...
    /SPOILER/her not having much time left and wanting to kill Norman Osborn./END SPOILER/
    Besides that which we'll probably find out more about in coming issues nothing really happens here at all. You can skip this issue, just read the spoiler and you're set.

New Avengers #45 - Oh this looked promising when the preview pages hit the internet, dun dun dun how did the Skrulls deal with House of M? Hmm surprisingly well. Once again this is just filler, dissapointing filler at that. Skrull Jessica and Pym state the obvious, cut to big climactic House of M scenes, throw in a bit of Annihilation and there you go another wasted oppurtunity. I guess that's what you get for having your hopes up.

Secret Invasion: Amazing Spider-Man #2 - Okay first issue was just dreary crap. Second issue is more of the same, run away from the Super Skrull, throw a few punches, oh hey it's Harry and his girlfriend, run some more. There was however one highlight, another BND character drops in ...
    /SPOILERMenace, I guess it would be nice to see him and Jackpot team up to take out the Super Skrull./END SPOILER/

Thunderbolts #124 - More Secret Invasion tie in, compared the the recently finished Ellis run this is pretty mediocre. It just feels like we've been through this already, just feels like this comics is going through the motions and nothing more. Sure it packed a lot of Skrull killing action but other than that, I'm just looking forward to this tie in to wrap up so we can get back to business.

Wolverine: First Class #7 - Wolverine: First Class is definitely getting better. Just love the Logan and Kitty duo. Argh this is a two parter though, so I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this story arc.

Are you reading Nova at all PS? Highly recommend it.

Nova's tie-in with SI continues as he pops home to check on his parents before rushing off to save his brother. Long story short, they try to jumpstart the Worldmind and end up (spoiler) RESURRECTING QUASAR!

Great to see him back.

Deadpool once again was great. Such a unique way of dealing with the Skrulls, what do you expect from DP though?

New Avengers continued to disappoint me with it's ongoing flashbacks. Yeah, you went through House of M, congrats. Can this title get back to the current time line?

Overall, still a pretty quiet week on the comics front. Nothing from DC this week involving R.I.P. which was disappointing.