Page 47 of 183 FirstFirst ... 273742434445464748495051525767 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers Venting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    For a regular TF electric train in Melbourne that blends in with all the other trains, it'll have to have graffiti all over its shell (idiotic kids). Expect to be train surfed on a regular basis (more idiotic kids). Aircon doesn't work during summer. The lingering smell of BO. Spends a fair amount of time in the maintenance yard. And the big one: never runs on time. I'm sure I've missed some points as I don't use public transport all that often. Have guess why.
    Welp, that's the redeco sorted then.

Actually ya know, if they made it look like a really generic and common commuter train, there would be such massive potential for regional variants!

This made me laugh

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transform...item461ce445de

Just this weekend saw a stack of them at Big W with clearance price of $88

i must have a look around here to see if anyone still has one i didnt pick it up and am starting to regret it :P

Sigh, just had another Predator missile launcher break. Dam things are so fragile. Well thats another childhood toy that needs replacing if I want to display it.

As I've always pointed out: "Go-Bots beat Transformers to market, arriving five months before the robots in disguise."

Can everyone who's ever said GoBots/Machine Men were a rip-off of Transformers please keep their mouths shut for the next thirty years?

Megatran Guest

So which toy line did GoBots / Machine Men rip off then?

Popy/Bandai's Machine Robo.

Although I wouldn't say "rip off." Machine Robo is to Go-Bots what Diaclone and Microman is to Transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    As I've always pointed out: "Go-Bots beat Transformers to market, arriving five months before the robots in disguise."

Can everyone who's ever said GoBots/Machine Men were a rip-off of Transformers please keep their mouths shut for the next thirty years?
    I didn't realise that there were people adamantly stating that Transformers came out first, and GoBots came out later to cash in on the craze?
    I thought most people just knew that they came out sometime in 1984, roughly at the same time to compete with each other, but since we never really had something significant or official documented source be a headline news item... it never became mainstream, common knowledge either way.
    I mean, I was never sure either way, as I'm not even sure where to look for an official document of when each series was officially released to American stores. (and when you count global markets, it gets even more blurred as which came first)

I DO know that Hasbro and Tonka were signing up their various JP toy designs and licenses during 1983, but which one made it to stores first in America and worldwide, was never something I was ever bothered about... because they were BOTH in conception, production and retail release at the same time (1983-1984)... to me personally, whichever one "won" the race doesn't matter as much as who "won" the war (which Transformers did ). But it would be nice having a document/proof of GoBots losing from a 5 month head start.

"Although Transformers appeared five months after GoBots, Hasbro came from behind and outsold GoBots almost 2-1," according to the book "Toyland: The High Stakes Game of the Toy Industry."
    I wonder if that book has that detail sourced, or if it is just another recollected memory, because it was written in 1991. After reading the reviews, I'm rather intrigued about this book, and will look at getting one, just to see what else is written about the 80s global toy industry.

I most definitely remember Machine Men coming out here in 1983, because in that year I was in hospital for several days from food poisoning, and during that time I received Helicopter Man (Cop-Tur) as a gift. And I distinctly remember purchasing Brawn (and Huffer for my brother) in late 1984 from a toy store (either HobbyCo. or Uncle Pete's) in Sydney CBD on the way to a piano concerto which neither my brother or I were remotely interested in watching. So those toys placated us during the performance that we were being dragged along to watch.