Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a ludicrously tight ratchet joint on Optimal Optimus

Default Help with a ludicrously tight ratchet joint on Optimal Optimus

Hey guys, FINALLY received an Optimal Optimus off Ebay today, item was loose and Used, but nowhere near in as Good condition as the seller made it sound.
    The Ratchet that connects to the piece of blue chrome (The Shoulder joint essentially.) on the Right arm is impossible to move, once I put it in place to convert to Jet mode it refused to budge. So...how do I go about fixing it?

Can it be dissassembled? My partner has suggested pouring graphite powder into it, will that work?

I've waited ten years for this toy and would be really upset if I had to get a new one, any hints on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

My original Optimal Optimus suffered the exact same issue Tallest, I know how you feel, every time you go to rotate it you feel like your gonna absolutely snap the F@#$ out of it.

My advice mate, unscrew that entire assembly, from the upper arm to the shoulder itself making sure not to lose any bits or springs etc., then, I'd spray the cogs, pins etc. with a little WD-40 then apply a really, really thin coat of oil to each piece, then reassemble everything.

You should find that everything is a little freer but you may notice that now it's better than the other shoulder, at least I did , which is sort of frustrating but at least you wont run the risk of breaking it.

What ever way you decide, I wish you luck mate as he is an incredibly show accurate and awesome figure!

Good luck.

Hmmm Im guessing the sprimng inside the shoulder joint system is a bit to "springy" for lack of a better term. Kinda like Metroplex's hip joint. Well hopefully Hursty's suggestion works TB... Ive waited a long time for this fig as well before. I had a previous purchase which had a broken robot head and incomplete, so basically I needed a whole new one. That old one now resides in my box of trades/for sale. This other one I got doesn't have the same issues on that shoulder joint you guys mentioned, come to think of it neither did my first junker OPOP, hmmm.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Yeah, the screws are pretty stiff. a lot of them look rusty.Gonna try to get it all a part today, but I'm seriously thinking of just getting another one when i have the cash.

I will have to check my Optimal Optimus to verify but I think that I the arm can be disassembled. I am willing to bet that the ratchet joint within has become unaligned and its causing an obstruction making the arm unmovable. If the arm can be disassembled, it should be an easy fix.

Don't pour anything on it until I can verify. WD 40 and graphite would be absolute last resorts and only for internal work, specially for a plastic toy with chrome.

I've tried disassembling it and the screws will not budge. It looks like I'll have to just get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    I've tried disassembling it and the screws will not budge. It looks like I'll have to just get another one.
    Are the heads damaged? If they are damaged then I recommend you drill through the heads and replace the screws. I can't remember but hopefully the screw holes are big enough to do this without damaging the figure.

You probably should have demanded a partial refund from the seller, the toy sounds to be in a very sorry state.

I just had a good look at my Optimal Optimus. I am now fairly certain that the problem with your toy is the ratcheting gear coming out of place so WD-40 or graphite is useless to fix it.

The good news is that the screw holes are fairly large so you should be able to drill through the screw heads without damaging the figure. Once you do that and open up the arms, you can re-align the gear but you'll need new screws.
    Last edited by kup; 14th September 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Is that the only part you need replacing TB? coz I can prolly just sell yah my junker one, cheaply and do a transplant to make up a whole better one. Just to clarify though do you have pics of the part in question? Coz Im still trying to get in my head that shoulder part being tight, hmmm are the screws in it rusted or something?

When I say junker though, his screws have no rust, he doesnt have any accessory with him and is missing (broken off) the robot head - thus he stays in gorilla mode, Electronics still works well ( i removed the batteries after testing), Chrome has wear. LMK I can send you pics.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear about the state of the screws TB.

In light of Kup and Liege's suggestions, I'd say try and do what Kup suggested with drilling out the old crews and combine all the good parts of that one with the Junker that Liege is offering you.

I believe it'll be a far cheaper alternative than trying to acquire another through eBay and after all the work you would of done, I reckon you'll appreciate the figure all the more.

Acquiring a 'mint as mint can get' figure is nice, but nothing is more gratifying than repairing a damaged figure with the remains of another IMO.
    (Hell, Transformers do it all the time)