Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no DVD with the 25th Ann. G1 Prime?

SGB is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Default Why no DVD with the 25th Ann. G1 Prime?

Is there a reason why the MTMTE DVD was not included with the Aussie release of the 25th Anniversary G1 Prime reissue?

i would assume cost cutting

1. to make it cheaper
    2. to avoid problems with region specific coding
    3. content is previously released by madman on dvd in australia/ in an asian boxset

I'd say it's most likely because it's not worth commissioning a R4 version, so rather than inserting a R1 disc, they just leave it out.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Post the question in the Hasbro Qs section, and see if they have an answer.

I think it might come down to the region coding, but not sure why they needed to have it region coded to start with. The disc that came with the Classics Leader 2-pack was region free (I think). Maybe at the time, that episode of Cybertron (I think) was not yet released on DVD, but the Gen1 episodes have - so the license holder may have told Hasbro to make sure it was at least region coded, to 'limit' pirating of a cartoon that is currently available for sale.

- Region coding.
    - Licensing and distribution issues.

The Beast Wars DVD's that were added to the 10th anniversary Primal and Megatron were released in conjunction with Madman, who have the distribution rights to Beast Wars (and G1 series).
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

While every answer in this thread probably played it's part, I think the main reason was to keep the RRP at Aus$100 so it could be easily discounted at Aus$80. Probably because Ultimate Bumblebee ($120-150) sold poorly... and ended up getting discounted for Aus$80 many times. Toys with a high price point just don't sell that well. Even MP-04, which is arguably a $250-300 price range toy, could not sell out at $200 rrp... had to be clearanced at $100.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    While every answer in this thread probably played it's part, I think the main reason was to keep the RRP at Aus$100 so it could be easily discounted at Aus$80. Probably because Ultimate Bumblebee ($120-150) sold poorly... and ended up getting discounted for Aus$80 many times. Toys with a high price point just don't sell that well. Even MP-04, which is arguably a $250-300 price range toy, could not sell out at $200 rrp... had to be clearanced at $100.
    I don’t think that’s accurate in relation to Ult BB. In the movie’s year of release, Ult BB was a very high in demand toy. At Christmas, there were astronomical prices being asked for it. The recent discounting is the excess stock that Hasbro has b/c it kept producing and producing and now they’re flogging it off to retailers who are using as cheap lure to get customers in as they can discount it heavily given they paid so little for it. – which isn’t bad for them given the economic climate where ppl need a real incentive to buy
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I don’t think that’s accurate in relation to Ult BB. In the movie’s year of release, Ult BB was a very high in demand toy. At Christmas, there were astronomical prices being asked for it. The recent discounting is the excess stock that Hasbro has b/c it kept producing and producing and now they’re flogging it off to retailers who are using as cheap lure to get customers in as they can discount it heavily given they paid so little for it. – which isn’t bad for them given the economic climate where ppl need a real incentive to buy
    I don't doubt that Ultimate Bumblebee was a high demand toy last year, however I do think that it was significantly less successful that the majority of movie toys (transforming/ characters from the movie). While you can probably put this down to a disappointing overall toy, I also think that a very expensive price tag also contributed heavily.

Of course everything I have said is purely speculation... maybe Ultimate bumblebee flooded the market in a way that made it seem like the shelves were always full of them, when in fact they were been sold very fast.

Also MP-04 did sell extremely fast initially. The $100 selloff was probably due to christmas returns and poor distribution (ie. some isolated targets had 20+ ... most targets had none).

Like I said above, post the question in the Hasbro Qs section and see if they give an answer that agrees with anyones speculations.