Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibility of eBay being no longer available to Australia

this would suck big time if it went through.... although there's always a way to get around it.

i'd be getting my overseas buddies to buy all my vintage stuff for me and ship over "gifts"

This is poor, lazy policy from the Lib govt. This runs counter to their whole matra about individual empowerment, the power of the marketplace, free market, etc. They need to remember that they're NOT the ALP and taxing everything is not the way to build a viable economy. I suspect that if this proposed policy gets more airspace, the govt will suffer a huge backlash. EBay is a tool which many use as a means to providing an income, its not just a fun place for collectors and people needing used furniture.

This dumb policy will just encourage users to find a workaround and drive transactions further underground. Idiots.
    "Once you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will soon follow."

Please check my toy blog: www.tonkstoys.com

"There has never been a more exciting time to be alive." - Malcolm Turnbull.

It'd actually be really easy for eBay to solve. They'd just have to charge a surcharge at checkout on any items Aussies buy from an overseas seller. Seller still gets his money, buyer pays GST, no foreign enforcement necessary.

Simple.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Harvey is a sook. I can understand about the whole "buying locally", absolutely. But you are still limiting the given right we have to purchase overseas. From that stand point, its wrong!
    Harvey doesn't like competition, and if you've ever tried ecommerce sites of local retailers, you see they have reduced product ranges. I would buy local (even pay more) if they had the stock I want
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post

Also I posted about this topic HERE earlier as it's related, so if you want more info might be worthwhile checking that thread
    Ah sorry, I didn't notice this was mentioned in another thread. I would have commented there instead.

If the proposed laws go through, and eBay end up geo-blocking us; it'd wouldn't just be outrageously stupid, but it won't achieve anything for anyone.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd only buy stuff from eBay if I can't find them locally, like action figures and novelty items. Such items aren't mainstream, nor are they produced in Australia (they're rarely available here). The businesses this GST change is trying to protect, people like Harvey Norman etc, complain about overseas competitors stealing business from them - BUT there is no competition! These guys (i.e. Harvey Norman) don't sell action figures or the stuff I usually get from eBay! They're effectively throwing the baby out with the bath water. Also, Harvey Norman sells furniture and white goods'; other bricks and mortar stores sell those too. Heck, I even bought my TV from Aldi!

I also hope eBay isn't totally serious about this geo-block. If it does happen, I might need to learn how to order from places like RobotKingdom.com.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I would buy local (even pay more) if they had the stock I want
    Yep, totally agree
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

I wouldn't miss the scalping and shipping but it means I'd have to be more vigilant in picking up what I want when it's available. No checking eBay afterwards if we run out of stock here.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

This is all flaring up because amazon.com is opening up here at the end of the year, Gerry's looking to stop this happening.

So much for the free market that neo liberalism promises

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    It'd actually be really easy for eBay to solve. They'd just have to charge a surcharge at checkout on any items Aussies buy from an overseas seller. Seller still gets his money, buyer pays GST, no foreign enforcement necessary.

Simple.
    Yes but who is the aussie paying the GST to? The Seller or eBay? eBay doesn't want to be responsible for remitting GST. The adminisitrative burden would be huge and there is next to no benefit for them. The seller almost certainly won't remit as they are in another country. I think this is the big issue.