Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31318192021222324252627283343 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

OMG! OMG!

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Justi...6690649&sr=1-1

I've been waiting for this for so long but the price! the price!

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Uhh #13? Isn't that #600. Do you mean #12 which is the one centered around Loki?
    oops! U're completely right.

In recent reading:

Guardians of the Galaxy #5-#8: is this series great or what? Plenty of twists and turns and with great inter-team conflict that isn't so contrived. Love this title to bits.

Birds of Prey #124-#125: Oracle gets payback. Sort of. Great book this is with lots of character insight. I loved the Joker appearance but the Green Arrow guest app was kind of annoying. Too much cavalry.

Nova #18-#20: DnA continue to absolute hit it out of the park. This is a great title. Lots of great quiet moments combined with massive and loud fights and uber high stakes. I love this title heaps. It's probably elevated Nova into my top 10 favourite comic book characters on the writing alone. Alves is a good artist too but nowhere near as good as the others previously on. That doesn't matter though b/c the script more than makes up for it.

Dynamo 5#17 Love this book. Great team and family dynamics. Continues to be great fun.

Plenty of other stuff too but if I can't remember it, it clearly wasn't that great.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    OMG! OMG!

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Justi...6690649&sr=1-1

I've been waiting for this for so long but the price! the price!
    Cool, I was gonna get the 3 individual trades, but looks like I'll just wait till this comes out... Long wait though

North Melbourne-bot...?

Sigh Young X-Men got canceled. #12 was the final issue.

I'm disappointed. The series was just settled. That and I'm going to miss the team. I was quite a fan of New X-Men/Academy X, I guess I still get to see Elixir in X-Force and Pixie and Uncanny X-Men but still.

What really gets me is that we might not get to see more of the possible "future" of the team that was teased around with in #11 and #12.

I had a little trouble getting into that book, most likely because the characters were new to me (I didn't get to read the New X-Men/Academy X stuff).

There's a lot of potential in the characters though so here's hoping they do something with them instead of just letting them fall off the map.

Like they did with Boom Boom/Boomer.

And then bring her back with no lines ... and kill her off without any hesitation. She deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    I had a little trouble getting into that book, most likely because the characters were new to me (I didn't get to read the New X-Men/Academy X stuff).

There's a lot of potential in the characters though so here's hoping they do something with them instead of just letting them fall off the map.

Like they did with Boom Boom/Boomer.

And then bring her back with no lines ... and kill her off without any hesitation. She deserved better.

New X-Men Academy X was quite good, until Decimation when it became a "kill the kids painfully" book. Young X-Men pretty much had new characters anyway, getting rid of all the interesting ones.

A lot of NextWave fans are annoyed with the return of Boom Boom to the X-Men but most comments talk about the timetravel references in the issue allowing for her return. Marvel just loves to kill young X-Men at the moment for some bizarre reason..

Never really followed anything with Boom Boom so what happened in X-Force #13 didn't really hit me hard. But seeing Hellion and Surge (both from New X-Men/Academy X) and the possible fate for both of them let me a bit saddened.

But yeah bring on Messiah War!

I just bought a couple of issues of Johnny the Homicidal maniac today, since I'm a fan of invader zim.
    I must say it's really strange, well more than strange...um...really f***ed up is the best way to describe it lol

From the Henkei comic book thread...

Quote Originally Posted by STL
    One of the reasons I don't like manga
    I like black and white comic art - it's a style unto it's own much like black and white photography and cinematography. A lot of artists intentionally only do black and white and quite frankly, their art would be ruined if it were coloured. e.g.: some of Frank Miller's b&w contrastive art (e.g.: Sin City, 300 etc.) just wouldn't work in colour. I thought Spielberg's use of black and white cinematography in Schindler's List was also very powerful.

I remember when manga was first being translated into English, some US companies decided to colour them in to better appeal to their market. But I found that it actually made the art worse - a good example is the early English adaptations of Silent Möbius. It looked like the early days of Technicolor -- the advent of colour movies and television where they would take old black and white movies and TV shows and colour them in... but it just didn't look right and the old b&w originals just look better. e.g.: To Kill A Mockingbird... I prefer watching that in original b&w over coloured.

When it comes to Transformers, I prefer Geoff Senior's work in black and white over colour - even in the UK comics where they had better colourists than Nel Yomtov, whose poor colouring didn't compliment any of the G1 artists at all. (-_-) Then there's the WWII-era Transformers Vs. G.I.Joe. It was first released in colour and that's how I got it. I wasn't impressed by the art. Then I saw it in black and white (Pocket Edition) and realised that the artwork is actually pretty good, but was previously spoiled by being coloured.

Japanese manga art employs heavy use of contrast and screentoning which isn't intended to be coloured in and would - IMHO - not look so good if it were coloured. If you look at the uncoloured artwork of people who do art (primarily inking) for comics to be coloured, their art is very "sparse" and "empty" in comparison - and I don't mean that in a negative way at all... it's just that they're allowing "room" for the colourist to work, whereas other artists don't do that so much, especially if they're not used to or not intending for their art to be coloured.

Part of the 'art' of black and white comic/manga art is to create colour using only black and white. For the Japanese, this is a technique that they inherited from the Chinese who did this through black-ink paintings of landscapes, nature etc. Colouring such images would arguably ruin them and quite frankly, miss the entire point of the art style; similar to people looking at b&w photography/cinematography and demanding that it should be in colour.

I like both b&w and coloured art, but I see them as two distinctly different forms of art, each good (if done well) in their own way. Some artists are able to work in both mediums.

Also remember that coloured art is more expensive and time-consuming to produce. The Japanese are the world's largest producers of comic books, using more paper to print comics than they do to produce toilet paper (Schodt, 1983).

You know what sucks? IDW's greyscale versions of Stormbringer and Beast Wars Gathering called "Manga". I would have liked to buy those if it was just Don's line art, but modern computer comic colouring doesn't work in greyscale.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    but nothing works in greyscale.
    fixed that up for you.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)