Thread: anyone is happily/unhappily on NBN?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We are basically buggered. NBN was our chance and as a nation we blew it.

Yeah we can blame politicians but as citizens, we also have a bit of blame since we keep voting for the same loosers to the point that there are now only to viable parties of them that can make government. Every election, you just vote for a different shade of self serving incompetence.

Yeah, Labour had a much better plan but it's government was so chaotic that they were never able to follow it through. Plus the plan wasn't that great either, just a lot better than the current crap.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    We are basically buggered. NBN was our chance and as a nation we blew it.

Yeah we can blame politicians but as citizens, we also have a bit of blame since we keep voting for the same loosers to the point that there are now only to viable parties of them that can make government. Every election, you just vote for a different shade of self serving incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Yeah, Labour had a much better plan but it's government was so chaotic that they were never able to follow it through. Plus the plan wasn't that great either, just a lot better than the current crap.
    The issue with Labor's plan was more on the business side. They had the right technology and network design, but making it so NBN had to turn a profit resulted in additional charges for the RSPs who either pass it on or don't spend enough on it.

Chorus in NZ has a different business model and as a result the offerings there are a lot better.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Telstra is to compensate 42,000 customers by the ACCC. Other providers will follow.

Well my NBN Node has been installed about 10 meters away from the pillar that was previously installed, only about 200 to 250 meters in total distance from my house. If the installation job is done correctly I should get pretty good speed.

Now the waiting is going to be even worse, I know they've installed fiber, a pillar and a node and just need to get off their lazy behinds and finish the job off.

Default choose the small ISP

If you are not happy with your ISP, then my tip is always go for the small company who has no oversea phone centre and pretty good productreview ratings.

I was with Optus when change plan, it was 3 months no Internet. Then I switch to Mate Communications, full local support team, fast and no problem. They only do Telstra network tough.

Whoever you choose, embrace those small names you never heard of.

I guess I'm lucky I'm on Telstra for the time being. My two week old 8tb external hard drive that had all my Xbox One X games on it died and now I have to redownload about 5tb of games minus the ones I actually have on disk that don't have a massive update to download.

Fortunately I just got confirmation from Telstra's Australian based support team that they are fine with downloading 5tb of Xbox One games on their unlimited
    ADSL service (I probably can't even download that much in a single billing cycle anyway). But I bet they would take a different view if it was 5tb of bittorrent traffic.

If all goes well I'll hopefully have everything redownloaded before I get the NBN and get switched over to Aussie Broadband who currently don't have unlimited data, which I'm fine with because unlimited data ISP's are terrible in this country.

Well hit my first snag in getting my nbn service. Called Aussie Broadband to see if it was possible yet to preorder the nbn through them.

As it turns out nbnco has put me on a temporary POI and very few companies are going to spend the money to connect their backhaul to any temporary POI since it will be going away in the near future and that money is basically flushed down the drain.

Fortunately Telstra is connected to the POI so I can get the nbn, but on the congested Telstra network.

At least Aussie BB was honest about the situation. Also they said that since I'm going to be on FTTN my area should be turned on in April when nbnco says it will be. Apparently nbnco have been keeping their dates for FTTN connections, but other connection methods are behind. *cough HFC cough*