Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast

Thread: model building

Speeder bike paint finished and put together a Bandai stormtrooper. I might airbrush some scorch marks on the bike later.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Speeder bike paint finished and put together a Bandai stormtrooper. I might airbrush some scorch marks on the bike later.

If you don't mind me asking, did you use a particular technique for the "wear and tear" on the speeder? Looks a little bit like the salt technique effect but on a very small scale. Or is the wear hand painted?

Regardless, looks freakin' awesome

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I painted the main colour then used a small piece of sponge to dab on some light grey. Misted over the main colour again to blend it all in. The chips are done with a silver pencil and I did some light shading with my airbrush. I also did some streaking with oil paints.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    I painted the main colour then used a small piece of sponge to dab on some light grey. Misted over the main colour again to blend it all in. The chips are done with a silver pencil and I did some light shading with my airbrush. I also did some streaking with oil paints.

you make it sound like it was easy but I get the feeling it wasn't so much.

lovely work, looks like it's straight out of the movie.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Cheers. Really it's just experimentation and trial and error until you come up with something that looks ok.

Finally finished my Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider model. 1/32 scale so it's about the size of a platter.

Acrylics with pastels for weathering.

I'm pretty happy with it but feel it lacks contrast, however I don't usually like heavy weathering or carbon burning unless necessary...

I can take and encourage constructive crits.

Which brings us to where we are today...

Very nice! The black masking looks very clean. For contrast adding a wash into all the greeblies would help to show up all that detail. Just don't do it on a matt finish and I'd also drill out the gun barrels as well.

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Anyone know anything about hseng brand airbrush/compressor? I've looked around for reviews or comparisons to iwata but to no avail. LHS has 1/6 hp with 3L tank l, regulator and an airbrush with 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5 as a kit. Had previously been looking at a cheap kit on ebay that's voltair brand, cheap about $120 for 1/6 hp tank, regulator, airbrush (basically the same but just 0.3) for $123 shipped... and if the airbrush didnt tirn out well just buy an iwata one for about $100. But if hseng are ok it'd save time/money/mucking about.

Edit - joined another forum to reaf some real reviews, hseng is referred to as knock off it seems, things like bent needles out of the box, almost non-existant spare parts service... if i could just find a cheapish compressor local i'd be happy, but they all seem to be 'kits'
    Last edited by Akky82; 19th November 2015 at 10:02 AM.

Any small compressor will work. One with a tank will prevent pulsing airflow and pick up a moisture trap. I use 2, one connected to the compressor and a pistol grip type attached to the airbrush.

Finished a few things and have a lot of stuff in progress. These Bandai kits are fantastic. C3PO was plated so he was the easiest of the lot. I replaced the moulded wires with real ones.

Speeder bike is finished though I need to find some fabric for the roll at the back and add some Endor terrain to the base. Also the acrylic rod is wobbly so that will be replaced with a metal one.

Tie just needs some detailing and some panel line wash.

Ep7 Stormtrooper needs black/white hands and weapons to do. Whomever thought that multi-coloured parts were a good idea needs to be fired. BB8 is a gem of a kit. If you lose the instructions it can still be assembled if you treat it like a puzzle. Both X-wings are nice but need some hacking up if you want the hull separation in the middle.

Of course I had to have a couple of Lambos on the go. The Veneno is causing me headaches all the way. I'll be glad to see the end of that but the Aoshima 50th Anniversario Aventador is just brilliant. Colour is giallo maggio.