View Poll Results: MP11 Starscream - worth buying?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 56.00%
  • Only if...

3 12.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

8 32.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - MP11 Starscream

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    Is it just me or is the newer version less detailed, It also looks like it's made from cheaper materials I don't own one just asking the question.
    Much of it is the same mold but looks less detailed as it doesn't have the paint wash to bring out the detailing.

Like the back of the shoulder intakes, one has the shading to bring the detail out and the other does not making it seem flat but if you look carefully, the detail is there.

I can easily see how just a few parts can 'upgrade' your existing MP-3 Starscream into the new. The most notable are the boots and of course, the head. The hip joints become irrelevant if you change the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU View Post
    I so badly want to be "not interested" in this toy either as, like many others, I already have the original 3 seekers plus ghost ss as well.
    Well, sell your old one and put the $$ towards this one if you like (keep the black stand if you'd use it). Unless people are completionists this is an improved* but pricier version (like a premium painted movie figure).

Anyone thinking of replacing an old MP SS should probably hold off until we see which mould and paint details Hasbro has decided to put into its upcoming Thundercracker release. Know that Takara may update its seekers in the future too.

*eye of the beer holder and all, etc..
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

So mine arrived yesterday (ordered Friday, arrived Monday, I love RK).

Jet mode is won by MP3. MP11 looks slightly more chunky (especially towards the rear), and horrifically more chunky if looked at from behind. The only bit of MP11 I prefer in vehicle mode is that the intake ramps* can be moved about because nothing is attached to them, unlike MP3. Basically you can do this

It's not a massively harsh criticsm to be fair because MP3's jet mode was verging on perfection.

*I had to google the proper name of that, I'm not a jet person

People keep saying how much easier the transformation is compared to MP3, but I'm not really seeing it. All you're doing differently is not worrying about the faux scabbards? I do like that it feels like there's a lot less pressure on the infamous double wing joint than in MP3 and its repaints.

The big improvements in robot mode are
    - the head (not so much the face but I like the wider vent/IDW comics style).
    - The heel spurs.

I think I was one of the few people that really dug the faux scabbards on MP3 so if I'm being honest I'm sad to see them go. Personally I feel that having the tail fins/stabilisers/whatever the proper name is attaching to the side of the legs makes them a bit too bulky and gives the figure too busy a side profile.

Two main gripes. First the head feels like it could be a little bit too far up compared to the shoulders.
    Secondly, and this is a criticism of both MP3 and MP11 (which cops it for not having fixed it) - the torso doesn't clip into anything. Move an arm without pushing down on the shoulder and it all comes apart.

Basically the jet mode is worse than MP3's but the bot mode is better engineered.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Finally transformed the pair a couple weeks ago, and as promised in post #15, these are the comparisons of their jet modes (MP3 & MP11).

Jet modes, with Gen1 Starscream to see how the MPs compare. (MP3 is on the left with the black scorching on the back)
    Not much noticeably different from the top. Underneath is where it is more obvious.

Underneath you can see the different blue, and the rear section as being standout changes. The different robot waist and head joint can be seen.
    The weapons on MP11 have that bar attached to the middle, which I think is redundant, and ruins the look.
    And if you look closely, you can see that MP11 has been trimmed down completely on the sides. MP3 has an entire segment wider than the air intakes on each side.

That's the most significant design change, to improve the robot mode, but makes the jet mode less authentic... less "aerodynamic". Which the next two pics show.

This one also shows the remoulded "feet".

As does this one.

I think MP3 is better for the Jet mode, but for displaying it in robot mode, either one works for me.
    Because these aren't really playable toys, so it doesn't matter much to me where the kibble hangs.
    The deciding factor would probably be the colouring. MP11 is more Gen1 accurate with the colours and striping (and no scorching).

The MP11 looks really cheap with a side by side comparison like that, Thanks Griffin.

Wasn't sure it was worth starting a new thread for the Hasbro version, so I thought I'd add my comments here.

Pros
    Feels more like a Transformer than MP03 did (I had the Hasbro one of that too)
    Is a good looking Starscream in both modes
    Like that it has the toy's blue nosecone rather than the cartoon's grey one
    Superior head sculpt and details

Cons
    Not a fun transformation, really annoying
    Stupid swiverly arm guns
    Hands and forearms are different colours
    Comes packaged in jet mode, has instructions that start in robot mode

Overall, he'll look good on the shelf with MP Soundwave and Shockwave, but the transformation puts me off buying Skywarp and Thundercracker (although they look great in their TakTom colour schemes but I can't justify spending so much on duplicates of a toy I don't enjoy).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I am surprised as I felt the transformation was way easier than mp-3.

I bought mp mp-11 at about under $160 so it was great to display it in cape and crown especially with the absence of magatron or galvatron .
    The grey plastic could be better and I thought hasbro would have pulled off a white version but didn't

Is a good buy today to Sunday at 20% off at tru on full priced items.

Doesn't he has a display stand unlike TT version?

Yep he has the same stand as the earlier Hasbro MP Starscream came with.

I didn't like MP3's transformation either, so I sold that toy too.

MP-3 will always have the better alt mode. The conformal tanks make the side view heaps better. That said I don't have a problem with MP-11 in alt mode.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Having had a chance to play around with MP11, I appreciate some of the engineering improvements, such as the new head, the big hinges for the wings being less prone to breakage, and particularly the heel spurs. The one challenge for me was getting the wings to swing out when transforming back to robot mode - the tabs locking the leading edge of the wings into the fuselage are tight and I was concerned I'd be breaking something. Overall, it's clearly an improvement on the original from an engineering point of view.

However, from an aesthetic point of view, I still prefer the sleeker look of MP3 (I own this mould in the form of MP6) in both modes. To me, MP3 looks more 'streamlined' and elegant in robot mode, which gives the impression of a fast flyer. I must also be one of the few who like the look of the Shoji Kawamori 'scabbards' on the hips - they result in far cleaner, sleeker legs which are actually more screen-accurate in that they don't have tail fins on them. Having the tail fins on the 'scabbards' swung to the back and the horizontal stabilisers unfolded also reinforces the idea of a sleek flying robot. While MP11's blockier legs more closely align with the G1 Marvel/Sunbow design aesthetic, I think they look a bit too chunky from some angles, and definitely look a lot 'busier'.

I also prefer the detachable cannons to having the ball-jointed struts.

If I could pick and choose, my ideal MP Starscream would still be predominantly MP3-based, but it would have

• The MP-11 head
    • The re-engineered hinges for the wings
    • The grey plastic and overall colour scheme (while I like the fact that the colour is screen-accurate, I kind of liked MP3's colour, and would have bought MP3 were it not for the reports of fragile plastic)
    • The heel spurs
    • Whatever subtle engineering allows the main landing gear to pop in and out smoothly (this was an issue on my MP6)