View Poll Results: Should you buy this figure?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Don't listen to Sharky, he doesn't know what he's talking about and smells like Parmesan cheese

5 41.67%
  • If cheap. Say for example if you got a voucher for Christmas 2016 expiring next week.

3 25.00%
  • No. I'd rather author a self-researched guide on how to cut off and eat your toes.

0 0%
  • I don't care, won't buy it, but wanted to feel important by voting.

3 25.00%
  • NETWORK ERROR

1 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Voyager Optimus Prime

This one is quite fun.

I like how the designers might've had a different mentality going in. Unlike Grimlock or Blackout which really didn't have any screen-accurate figures before, Optimus has had 'aplenty, and not only one, but two molds that could well be the "definitive" toy version for the character. So they just went: "alright how do we make this one different? instead of trying to do much at the Voyager price point.

The truck mode is definitely the weaker of two but by no means is it bad. Has all the right visual elements there. The clip on wheels are just unfortunate and with the hollow bits they still don't look right with hubcaps painted. This and the red fuel tank hinges give the truck mode a very toyish look. And damn this thing is small! not much bigger than a Deluxe figure. Then again if you collect the whole series and get Starscream you'd probably get your money's worth between the two.

I can never tire of FE Optimus' transformation so I don't mind the borrow elements in engineering at all, and it makes sense to use that design here.

The'bot has a great silhouette, except for the backpack. Honestly I thought the backpack would bother me more until I see this toy on the shelf and it just doesn't look as egregious as some the earlier photos make it. The sort of muted colors also look good in person and I agree with one of the youtube reviewers (sorry forgot name) they kind of give Optimus a dirty/weathered look just like how he was in the forest battle scene. Articulation is incredible for its size. The swords actually do look like they're an extension of his arms which another nice touch.

I never bought/liked the Battle Blade Optimus mold as I felt it was just a down scaled ROTF Leader. The SS Optimus is a nice desk top/carry around toy and fills the Optimus spot in the Studio Series quite competently IMO.

Ok so I finally caved and bought this guy yesterday. I told myself I wasn't interested, but there's a bit of a collector's lull at the moment and I had an itch to scratch.

Then I told myself that I have a voyager version of Evasion Prime and TLK prime, but not one of TF or RotF prime, so here's a chance to fill that gap.

I have to say that although his colour scheme is a bit dull, that transformation is WOW! For someone who had already decided to pass on this one, I'm happy that I gave in to my urges and pulled the trigger.

He is actually a lot of fun to play with. I'm interested to see if Toyhax release a set in their May update, if so it might just be the treatment required to bring him up to comparable standard for anyone in doubt. (I may also consider giving him a bit of a paint job, although still not sure about that yet).

Even though he's a bit smaller than the other voyager Optimus figures, it doesn't really bother me that much mainly because he's such a joy to transform.

Really digging your use of the WFC Prime gun with this mold doublespy. I will follow suit.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    He is actually a lot of fun to play with. I'm interested to see if Toyhax release a set in their May update, if so it might just be the treatment required to bring him up to comparable standard for anyone in doubt. (I may also consider giving him a bit of a paint job, although still not sure about that yet).
    That's how I felt about Evasion Mode Optimus until we got the toyhax set of stickers for him.

It will take a good set of stickers to make me want to grab this Optimus.

You all were right - the transformation is great and the best part of the figure. Complex but intuitive and satisfying.

The downsides are the small voyager size and I think the colours are a bit muted for my taste.