Page 1 of 23 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon thread

Default Pokémon thread

Over time there's been a bit of talk about the Pokémon games in the The Computer/Console Gaming Thread and there's several of us who are fans, and a couple that are true Pokémon Masters.

But sometimes the news of special release Pokémon get lost, so I thought, with a new game about to be released, why not just make a new thread and let us Pokéfans discuss it here.

(This includes discussion of the cartoon, or card game or whatever else)

My Pokéstory

I watched some of the original cartoon series back in my Uni days and I eventually purchased Pokémon Yellow and found I loved it more than I had expected to. A few years later I purchased Silver but after getting stuck at the Elite Four and I put it down and never finished it.

Many years later when I bought a DS (I jumped from the original GameBoy to the DSLite without any of the consoles in between) I picked up Diamond and was blown away with the graphics upgrade and how much I still enjoyed the game's mechanics.

I purchased HeartGold since I already owned Silver, and I'm determined to eventually finish it this time. (Thanks to the advice, people I will try the Dragon Trainer again soon).

Black or White

I've been looking at the Pokémon available in Black and in White character lists and it seems that differences mostly cover types from the earlier generations. From the newest generation you only miss out of 9 types, 7 of which are from three different evolution cycles. So not a huge loss.

I think I am going to choose Black because I like the look of those Pokémon more and Black apparently has more "rotation battles" and they look more interesting to me than the 3 on 3 ones.

But I suspect I wont be playing Black for a while since I still have so much of HeartGold to finish.

If only it were easier to direct trade on Pokemon, Sleeve and I tried for a while to get trades going, but could never get friend codes to work, and the GTS is just pure lottery luck, otherwise I'd send you some team members Paulbot to get you over this Gold/Silver hump you have.

I'd also be able to send Sleeve a shiny dog to get Zoaroark, since I nabbed two sets myself, so if anyone has any great ideas/schemes to get direct trades running smoothly I'd love to hear/read it.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I'd also be able to send Sleeve a shiny dog to get Zoaroark, since I nabbed two sets myself, so if anyone has any great ideas/schemes to get direct trades running smoothly I'd love to hear/read it.
    Sweet. My Dark team just won't be complete without Zorua/Zoroark. Actually I think the only ones I'm missing are Spiritomb and Sableye. Looking forward to getting a Hydreigon.

I'm hoping that they've refined the GTS for Black/White when it comes to direct friend trading. I know they've brought in the ability for 'live trade' with a random on the GTS, and you can go in with three Pokemon and negotiate a little, but trading with someone on your friend list would just be so much simpler. That was just painful what we went through, Trunksie. And only being able to search for Pokemon you've 'seen' kind of defeated the purpose of being able to find ones you're missing, especially from earlier games.

Guess we'll have to try the SS/HG trade option with direct friend codes again, seeing as how long it'll take for us to both get Black, play through to where I can upload the dogs to my game in order to be traded online?

Or I could just trade you a Zoaroak? (And possibly a Sableye, pretty sure I have one somewhere, never got a Spiritomb, too much hard work, but maybe I can nab one from the pokewalker when I get enough steps.)

More fun times with trading, with the 3 monkeys too, hadn't really thought about that before.

I can trade you a Spiritomb and Sableye if you want them. Can breed a spiritomb and catch a sableye if you want them
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I forgot Spiritomb was in the Pokewalker. I used that for one day while at work (a lot of walking was involved) and never used it again. Got a Kangaskhan out of it.

I'm really looking forward to playing for over 30 hours and only encountering all new characters. It really will feel like a whole new experience as opposed to trading over favourites from previous versions immediately, powering through the game and just disregarding the joy of it all as I hurry to complete it.

No rush on the trades either, folks. But thank you for the offers. Once I can trade I'll have a lot of transferring to do between my Diamond and SoulSilver games with my second DS. We'll get there eventually.

Inspired by your comments I played HeartGold last night and had a few more attempts at defeating Clair, the Dragon-type trainer.

Funnily enough I don't have much trouble defeating her two Dragonair (My Gyarados L35 and Stantler L37 are powerful to defeat them) or her Gyarados (My Mareep L36 knocks it out), but the Pokemon are weakened a bit.

But then I fight her Kingdra and it all goes to hell. It attacks first each time with either Dragon Pulse and Hydro Pump and each of my Pokemon, including my most powerful Grass-type, is defeated in either one hit or two while doing minimal damage.

Do I look to level up my Ice type Pokemon? The only one I have is a Swinub L23 (with Powder Snow, Mud-Slap, Endure, Mud Bomb) that Clair's Gyarados knocked out with one hit! Or should I go for more Dragon type moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Do I look to level up my Ice type Pokemon? The only one I have is a Swinub L23 (with Powder Snow, Mud-Slap, Endure, Mud Bomb) that Clair's Gyarados knocked out with one hit! Or should I go for more Dragon type moves?
    Get some dragon type moves.
    Kingdra is only weak to dragon. The water protects it from the ice moves, and the dragon protects it from water's weaknesses.

Try a move like thunderwave first up to impare it. It isn't a sure thing but it increases your chances.

Also, both hydro pump and dragon pulse have 10pp. That means at most you will have to last 20 moves before it will resort to lesser moves.
    Try out lasting it with moves like protect and substitute or with potions and revives.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Picked up 'Black' this morning.

As expected I chose Tepig as my starter, and I've also caught a Lillipup and Patrat. Lillipup's face is hilariously adorable. Now on my way to the first gym.

I'm already overcome with the joy of a whole new game. It's like picking up Blue all those years ago.

If you are still struggling go try and catch the legendary dogs, they are at level 40, and a thunderwave helps slow them right down for damage dealing, but it takes a long and annoying amount of time. I'd go for Suicune and Raikou first.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    Also, both hydro pump and dragon pulse have 10pp. That means at most you will have to last 20 moves before it will resort to lesser moves.
    Try out lasting it with moves like protect and substitute or with potions and revives.
    If you get a dog, then their ability pressure doubles PP use.

Sad to say you really need to level your Pokes up to at least level 40, Ampharos and Stantler are good picks, dont bother with a Swinub/Piloswine evolve. If you can catch a Dragonair of your own, thats about the best way to get Dragon moves.

Thunder wave, toxic, protect, substitute and healing potions look to be the best way to go...