Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonicron (Not-Soundwave) Images

Seen pics of the alternate G1 head for this guy on TFW2005.
    Seriously thinking about him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    Seen pics of the alternate G1 head for this guy on TFW2005.
    Seriously thinking about him now.
    I do much prefer the alternate G1-esque head too, but I'd like it if the Eye-Visor was slightly more narrow and I'm still concerned with the figure's entire Pelvic area as I can see some possibly bad issues arising from there.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmetro View Post
    Pre-order for this guy is up at RK for $50... not bad pricing..

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services...FAOP08&lang=us
    and then RK messes up your order....

Hmmm i kinda liked it, but the waist joints are a worry for me, also it looks like its on heels - Dragwave?? Ah well mebbe it's look good when it's colored...maybe..
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

bowspearer Guest

Maybe I'm a lone voice here, but I love this- seriously proves that Soundwave can still work as a tape player and look amazing. Hasbro, take note of where 3rd party projects succeed where you fail.

I find the concept rather cool but I can't say I am too fond of the execution, specially the robot mode.

Although it's unnecessary, this is the first third-party toy that's ever truly impressed me - I love the altmode and the 1984-Megatronesque legs.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I find the concept rather cool but I can't say I am too fond of the execution, specially the robot mode.
    Which really comes down to design vs engineering. Hasbro is always going to have better engineering than some third party, but you'd never see them designing something like this because of what some marketing "genius" has told them will work or not work as a concept.

It's ironic because, sure a micro cassette recorder might be considered lame by them, but if they took a look at something like that in stores, they'd still think it was really cool and still lap it up.

It's the reason why the brand has started to get more and more stale over the years in terms of original concepts and the homages more hit and miss, while the 3rd party stuff rarely misses a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Which really comes down to design vs engineering. Hasbro is always going to have better engineering than some third party, but you'd never see them designing something like this because of what some marketing "genius" has told them will work or not work as a concept.

It's ironic because, sure a micro cassette recorder might be considered lame by them, but if they took a look at something like that in stores, they'd still think it was really cool and still lap it up.

It's the reason why the brand has started to get more and more stale over the years in terms of original concepts and the homages more hit and miss, while the 3rd party stuff rarely misses a beat.
    I agree with most of of what you said but although some 3rd party items lack engineering complexity, some of the more popular ones actually exceed Hasbro's.

bowspearer Guest

My point was more that Hasbro can afford to employ a team of engineers each on 60k a year where the third party companies are too small to be able to do that, which can even be seen on retail costings.

Take a look at the cost of most of the 3rd party items. The early Casualty toys if they were released by Hasbro would have cost no more than $20RRP here yet they cost $50 each + import costs.

That's the flip-side of the third party stuff: brilliant design but killer economy of scale.

Pricing was not in my mind when I said my first comment. If I had liked that Soundwave, I probably would have gotten him at whatever price they are selling it for.