Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tipping. Do you tip?

Default tipping. Do you tip?

Do you tip people? waiters, deilvery drivers of fast food, taxis, hotels, bar staff?

What is expected and how much should you tip?

Sometimes. I'll tip taxi drivers by rounding up the fare mainly because they put up with a lot; driving people around all day, putting up with drunken idiots etc.
    Tipping hospitality staff is another matter. As I work in hospitality I know how much the majority of waitstaff earn so it has to be for some first class service. Of course I've worked in jobs where the kitchen staff take a cut of the tips so I'm not against it.

In Australia it would be nice to tip workers, especially those that have earned it though it isn't necessary. In America though, tipping isn't technically necessary but not tipping is frowned upon as workers over there in most food places only make a mere few dollars an hour and rely on the tips.

When I've been dealt with great service at restaurants/cafes/shops I'll gladly tip but if it's anything below that I won't bother.

Sometimes but only sometimes. In a "keep the change" sort of way. Unless service has been out extraordinary. Never more than a few dollars.

I sometimes do, like when dinner turns out to be $97.35 or something like that, I'll give them $100 and say don't worry about the change. I'm usually pretty happy with the service at restaurants and that. Taxi Drivers as well, I will only tip if they are nice.

I normally leave a tip when I dine at a restaurant - generally somewhere between 5-10% of the total bill.

The only time that I don't is when the service has been below average, but all other circumstances, I still leave a tip.

Most other occasions like when I buy my coffee in the morning or when I get a pizza delivery, it's along the lines of 'keep the change'.

Taxi's and restaurant I do.

But not when the fare is exhorbitant compared to what I am used to. Meaning the driver used the most expensive route or went the long way.

In restaurant, US is usually 10-15% and I use around 10% for Oz. But when the service sucks, I may not tip.

In my native country, tipping isn't required. But if there's good service, I tip too but not when the bill already says service charge.
    LF: G1/Henkei/SOC/others
    For Sale/Trade:Misc TF Sale
    Want List: WSTs, SCF PVCs, Henkei, Classics

I dont tip, if people want more money they should get a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I dont tip, if people want more money they should get a better job.
    +1

When I get a pizze delivered I have a little game I play. When I pay them, if they go to give me change I'll tell them to keep it. If they don't, I'll stand there till they give it.

Basically if people expect a tip, they won't get one off me. And seeing as how a lot of hospitality staff are off the books and drawing income from more then one source I don't think tipping is neccessary for standard service.
    But then; I know what an A%^&hole the average customer is. Customers always right my a$%

Nope, never.

I don't see the point in the American system of tipping either. I think its a percentage surcharge on the bill. In my mind, a tip os for good service. Not average service or poor service, so instead of adding a % for the tip, they should just increase prices as its the same anyway.

I so rarely come across good service in Australia I never feel the need to tip.

I especially hate Taxi drivers who expect tips, even when at the end of the trip, I had to give them directions. And the old 'keeping the 5 cents change' trick. I have had this on a number of occasions and stand there until they ask me whats up and I tell them I am waiting for my change. Got that at an EB. Was most annoyed and ahven't been back there since.