View Poll Results: DOTM MechTech Voyager Megatron. Worth buying?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. (I have exceptional taste.)

26 65.00%
  • Only if cheap. (And every Christmas I get visited by three ghosts.)

6 15.00%
  • Only if (something else. I meant to hit 'Yes' but I'm uncoordinated.)

1 2.50%
  • No. (I only collect paperclips.)

1 2.50%
  • Not interested. (I also passed up the chance to buy Action Master Elites at retail.)

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - DOTM MechTech Voyager Megatron

Default Toy Review - DOTM MechTech Voyager Megatron

Dark Of The Moon MechTech Voyager Megatron.

This is the greatest Transformer of all time. Not even Lugnut can compare to the glory that is Dark Of The Moon MechTech Voyager Megatron. For one thing, Megatron is finally a truck. For the first time, he is on equal footing to Optimus Prime. (Deliberate or not, this is also a neat nod to Prime's 'brother' comment in the first film.) Since he is a truck, it means the toy actually transforms into something real and not just a made-up pile of scrapmetal as Megatron did in the previous two movie toylines. In Mack truck mode, this toy has astonishing engineering. This is a one-piece Transformer with trailer, and yet the cab can turn independently of the trailer as in the picture below! If you cannot appreciate the genius of this, keep staring at the photo below until you do. Keep staring! Okay, good.

Some bits of the transformation back and forth are a bit tricky, particularly the front grille-and-bonnet and sides of the cab, but ultimately every single piece locks securely in where it should in both modes. (Except the tarpaulin in vehicle mode, unless you tie it down with Lilliputian ropes. What do you expect – it's a tarpaulin!)

In robot mode, Megatron carries a MechTech fusion cannon on his right arm, a tribute to his G1 namesake (and this toy will also be available with G1 Megatron [apparently in Megaplex colours] in Japan – the most brilliant Transformers two-pack ever.) MechTech seems to mean 'A Weapon That Does Stuff' and in this case if you push the ladder on the fusion cannon the sides extend out and forwards to make it a longer cannon. Megatron has one big eye and one small one (and this is also paralleled in vehicle mode, where one windscreen is much thicker than the other.) I am told that if I actually remembered anything from Revenge Of The Fallen I would know that Megatron got some face and arm damage at the hands of Optimus Prime (or something) and that this is a result of that.

To truly appreciate the brilliance of DOTM Voyager Megatron, you must understand that in over twenty-five years, HasTakTom has never attempted anything as bold as this toy. Until now, no toy in Transformers history has ever had a poncho. Not Lockdown, not the Jointron brothers, not even Drift - a character known for nothing more than his love of ponchos. The poncho transforms from shroud to tarpaulin (and back!) and you will get literally months of pleasure from transforming it back and forth. I love this toy so much, that I might even go back and buy some older Movie Megatron toys.

[Sky Shadow goes and looks through images of every single older Movie Megatron toy.]

Ew.

Okay, so it turns out that I won't be buying them (except maybe that Voyager tank one with a lobster claw for an arm – he looks fricking awesome.)

There have been a lot of complaints about 'Hasbro grey' in recent years, and this toy is Hasbro's clear response to that. It states, in no uncertain terms, "#@(* you! Look at this marvel! Some of the greatest sculptures the world has ever seen are grey and this is yet another to add to that pantheon. Hasbro grey is awesome and you're a bunch of whingers".

In summary, it will be hard for Hasbro to top themselves after DOTM MechTech Voyager Megatron. So... how could HasTakTom incorporate the ingenuity of this toy into future Transformers releases?

I would say "more ponchos". Maybe a whole line of Transformers with ponchos or a new franchise: Transformers: Robots Disguised Through The Wearing Of Ponchos. Nevertheless, until they release a Lugnut toy with a poncho, this toy will remain the pinnacle of nearly three glorious decades of Transformers engineering.

I give this toy five ponchos out of five and my highest possible recommendation.

Thanks for the colourful review SS - makes my review of Shockwave absolutely vanilla in comparison to this literary piece of work!

I'm shocked that you rate Megs higher than the glorious Lugnut himself.

Still, I'm not convinced - unlike yourself, I'm not a fan of his poncho (or ponchos in general) nor am I a fan of his colours (or lack thereof), so sadly, I will have to vote, "only if cheap"

I can't tell if there's any serious endorsement in this review (started off like there was) or if it's just Sky Shadow taking the piss.

I look forward to actual reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I can't tell if there's any serious endorsement in this review (started off like there was) or if it's just Sky Shadow taking the piss.

I look forward to actual reviews.
    This is an actual review! I heartily endorse this event or product.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    This is an actual review! I heartily endorse this event or product.
    Don't worry, I believe you mate.

I'm just not a big fan of this Megs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    Don't worry, I believe you mate.
    Thanks! To be honest, if I didn't love this toy, I wouldn't have reviewed it.

In fact, I love it so much that I even posted my review on TFW2005 - only my second post on that site since joining in 2004 (back when the TFW2005 was still futuristic! Yes, I suspect certain aspects of the review may confuse the heck out of them.)

One other feature I failed to mention - the fusion cannon can lock in 'deployed' position if you rotate the ladder diagonally. Which makes for a very G1 Onslaughty vehicle mode:

Best movie Megatron toy - ever. (yeah, nothin' like being a big fish in a small pond )

Seriously though... TF1 and ROTF Leader Megatrons were massive disappointments. TF1 Voyager Megatron is okay, but I can'ts stands the ice kibble. I've never handled ROTF Voyager Megatron IRL so I can't really comment on that. But DOTM Voyager Megatron is the best boxed movieverse Megatron toy I've come across so far, and for the first time I don't feel royally ripped off by a movie Megatron toy.

As Sky Shadow said before a lot of this toy's merits over its predecessors comes from the sheer virtue that it has an Earthen alt mode! In robot mode it looks more like a Transformer because it has Earthen alt mode kibble. TF1 and ROTF Megatrons looked more like weird alien robots, and their alt modes looked forced (i.e. like alien robots deformed into a jet thing and tank thing). DOTM Megatron's alt mode is a Mack - a licensed vehicle!

At he costs half the RRP of a Leader... win.

Yeah, there's lots of grey plastic on this toy, but it honestly doesn't bother me. The olive green plastic is metallic which is really nice. The MechTech weapon can be mounted on either forearm, though I imagine most G1 fans would mount it on the right arm to make it look all fusion cannony.

The poncho can be used for both robot and vehicle modes and is easily removable if you don't like it. I'm guessing there's probably a scene or two in the movie where Megs is covered, so they've included it for that (cos if they didn't, fans would whinge about it then 3rd party producers would make one ).

My only gripe about this toy - and it might just be because I can't transform one step properly - is the lower legs. Is there a proper way for each of them to interlock firmly?

That's done it! Since Gok approves too it'll be a purchase on sight now! Was gonna hold out for a bit but I've been swayed!

You make a decent sales pitch Sky Shadow, I was leaning on the fence with this guy but I think I'm sold!

Hopefully we'll see a decent 3rd party custom cloak pop up soon...