Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Repairing Ken's Sky Lynx

Default Project: Repairing Ken's Sky Lynx

Hi,

As some of you may know, I have recently bought Ken's broken Sky Lynx.

It is actually in better condition than expected, I have already been able to fix the electronics. The problem there was just that the (-) connector was not making contact with the motor. Fixed that and gears begun to turn.

Next time I will be looking at fixing the broken leg.

A lot of gears. First time accidentally knocked most of them out, I had to spend some time working out the proper sequence

The Broken Leg:

Last edited by kup; 26th May 2011 at 08:21 AM.

After having recently dismantled 2 G1 Sludges and having rebuilt 1AZRAEL1's G1 Galvatron, I can appreciate the intricacies of pulling apart a G1 figure, but one with so many gears certainly would've taken some time and thought figuring out how they go back dude.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about repairing the leg on this guy Kup.

It wasn't that long to put the gears back, probably 5 minutes or less but it did spook me at first.

Seeing as you have got it that far apart, how would I go about replacing the tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Seeing as you have got it that far apart, how would I go about replacing the tires?
    All in good time

Just find a thin rubber band, preferable the ones that have a 'square' or 'round' shape not the flat ones. Size doesn't matter just that the band is appropriately thin to fit in the 'rail' of the wheel. That's what I will be using as the main material to fixing the wheel when I get to it.

Like this:

What do you think about using a rubber 'O' ring for the tyre, as a suggestion?
    Last edited by kup; 10th May 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Could work but you need to find the exact size for the wheel for it to work effectively. With the rubber band you can easily custom your own tracks regardless of size and they are more likely to stay in place.

If you find the correct O ring size, it is the easiest way to fix it although you may still require to pull Sky Lynx apart as I did in the picture so that you can access the wheel properly to put the ring on.

Edit: Sorry Hursti, I accidentally clicked 'edit' on your post instead of quote

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Edit: Sorry Hursti, I accidentally clicked 'edit' on your post instead of quote
    All good dude , I agree though that one would have to find the right size - I don't suppose you've any measurements?
    It might help those who want to go down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    All good dude , I agree though that one would have to find the right size - I don't suppose you've any measurements?
    It might help those who want to go down that route.
    No measurements yet but I do have a few O rings that I could try to see if any matches.

The thing is that if it's too small, it will stretch too much and not serve much for traction (same as if there was no rubber) and it's likely to snap. Too big and it will just become loose and fall off randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    No measurements yet but I do have a few O rings that I could try to see if any matches.

The thing is that if it's too small, it will stretch too much and not serve much for traction (same as if there was no rubber) and it's likely to snap. Too big and it will just become loose and fall off randomly.
    Like their designed purpose, it would seem that the right 'O' ring is a must huh?
    Well, I still look forward to seeing what you're able to come up with dude as I'm curious to see what you do with the Rubberbands.