Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDW Comic: Heart of Darkness - reviews and thoughts

Default IDW Comic: Heart of Darkness - reviews and thoughts

So, did anyone pick this up and read it? If so, what did you think of it?

I wasn't too impressed by the art style, but there's definitely worse stuff I've seen (some of those panels in All Hail Megatron were quite crude).

I didn't find the story all that interesting, but it's not too bad, so I may go ahead and get issue 2. Storyline gets a 7/10 from me, art would be 6.5/10.

SPOILERS START...
    I found the whole "undead universe" thing to have a bit of a passing resemblance to the "Chronicles of Riddick". Also wonder if Arcee is a match for Galvatron (probably not).
    SPOILERS END...

Out if all the Transformer comics too be released this year
    this was the one I was most looking forward too...and...
    I'm disappointed beyond belief...

While the story is okay...the art is simply a joke...

Now while I freely admit that I could do no better...
    the artwork is just silly...I cannot believe that this
    mini-series about Galvatron and "the boys" has
    pretty much been ruined from the out set.

Seriously...can we just get Nick Roche drawing
    every Transformer comic from now on...at least
    then they'll actually look good...

or EJ Su, Guido Guidi, Andrew Wildman... etc!
    So many artist choices and the new guy fails on his first outing.

The art drew me out of the story, which wasn't terrible. And having Arcee and Hardhead back now is good timing imo
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

Just read these comics today... Thoughts:

+ Art: Forget the crappiness, the inconsistency really bugs me. Sometimes they have small eyes, other times they have big eyes, sometimes Cyclonus is lavender, other times he's more purple... it's like Kung Pow Enter The Fist "Your shirt is red... your shirt is blue."

+ Story: feels a lot like Transformers Generation 2! Let's compare...
    * In HoD Galvatron guided by the Anti-Matrix, peers through time and space to view the past and discovers a malevolent dark force that absorbs life, with a particular taste for Cybertronians. / In G2 Optimus Prime guided by the Creation Matrix peers through time and space to view the past and discovers a malevolent dark force that absorbs life, with a particular taste for Cybertronians.
    * In HoD Galvatron insists that Autobots and Decepticons must unite to fight against the darkness. / In G2 Autobots and Decepticons unite to fight against the darkness.
    * In HoD Galvatron's enemies are skeptical of his claim. / In G2 Optimus Prime's enemies are intially skeptical of his claim.

I enjoyed this story back in 1993*, even with Manny Galan's dubious art (but at least his art style was consistent!)... but this time round... meh.

---------------------------------------
    *Although apparently even Simon Furman isn't too proud of his writing of G2 given his suggestion to disregard G2 and continue G1 from where he'd finished it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Just read these comics today... Thoughts:

snip/

I enjoyed this story back in 1993*, even with Manny Galan's dubious art (but at least his art style was consistent!)... but this time round... meh.
    So same old same old, that's kinda the problem with Transformers comics thse days period. I yearn for something new, but I don't know what that is because everytime the new writters try something new it ends up just like something old.

Story is better than anything else IDW have tried to persuade us is worth reading in the past two years, it ties into the Furman stories more than the ongoing/more recent stories, which should be interesting, do IDW intend to go back to the large universe based story Furman was writing, or head back (again) to an Earthcentric snail paced story?

Art is laughable and all over the shop, but as a series, so far it is far more interesting and sci-fi than Zombie horror like I was expecting...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I like that panel where they broke the Fourth Wall when Galvatron was falling through realities and saw various versions of himself, including different versions of G1 Megatron and Galvatron, Frank Welker, Leonard Nimoy as Spock, and even a MISB G1 Galvatron toy!

The art is by some web comic guy, so yeah, it's crap.

The artist is Boo and s/he's done TF art before for some of the TF Animated comics. His/her art style is okay (but not fantastic) for Animated, since it's quite cartoonish, but just doesn't suit the 'Neo-G1' aesthetics of HoD. Gah.

And being a web artist is no excuse for inconsistencies in one's own style. There's greater artistic consistency in Penny Arcade, Shortpacked and Homestar Runner!

True, but the 100 million other web comics are generally poorly drawn tripe, like this comic!