View Poll Results: DA-15: Jetwing Prime Buy or no Buy?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome. Must buy.

12 30.77%
  • Awesome but I can wait for a sale.

17 43.59%
  • Meh, only on sale.

3 7.69%
  • Too pricey, can't justify that price for a glorified jetpack

3 7.69%
  • Go-Bots still around?

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: DA-15 Jetwing Prime

Default Toy Review: DA-15 Jetwing Prime

Ever since learning on Saturday that this badboy was out, yours truly was itching to get his fingers on it. Circumstances had conspired against him from journeying down to Southland until today. Even upon the premise, I somehow managed to misplace my wallet and almost went home not only empty handed but with a headache in tow. Locating the wallet, I thanked the fine (and helpful) lass with a nod and a grin before speedily ambling home.

Finally sitting in my fortress, the Iacon Hub Capital, I took a few moments before diving all in. So was it worth the wait? Come on in and find out.

Presentational/Display Quality

The packaging irks me. I like packaging to have a consistent line wide feel or in the alternative a compelling aesthetic that balances box art and display of the figure. The part that bugs me most is the yellow. Not only does it seem at odds to the rest of line’s packaging but it’s also a jarring contrast to Jetwing Prime. It makes it feel like a cheap exclusive that’s just trying very hard to get your attention when the sheer size of the packaging and it’s contents are more than eye-catching. Certainly compared to all the toys you see on shelves in stores.

The only part that works is the bottom of the box where the entire background is yellow. That works well b/c there is none of the contrast of the dark blue and silver/gray of the rest of the packaging. Possibly the best way to display it.

The Base Figure

The lighter colours are okay. Obviously having been spoiled with the Premium, the grey is not easy on the eyes. However, against the dark gunmetal grey of the armour, it’s not too bad and works reasonably well as it’s not a sharp contrast to the bling of the Premium. If you see the pictures below, the bling is nice but also could be argued is quite a contrast in itself. The grey blends in reasonably nicely.

The aspect the base figure is notably lacking in comparison is the paint applications of the gun. The gray really hurts. Being spoilt by the charred ash silver of the Premium, this looks spectacularly mundane.

The new torso is nice and strangely works despite its darker grey. I like the more techno-organic feel but I’ll still take the shine of the premium any day. There’s also a really small red Autobot insignia too in the top bit of it if you can spot it in one of the pictures. Nice touch.

The blades have been removed to provide some further articulation but I don’t feel its needed given the articulation is now inhibited by the backpack. The one problem with the blades was always that they were quite trigger happy so I can’t say that part of it is missed.

There’s also some remolding work to make the backpack clip in sturdily.

The other change is the addition of mechtech ports on the forearm. At first I wasn’t sure why the holes were there and thought it shoddy design until looking at the packaging I was reminded of the mechtech weapons selling point. I do like my weapons but on this? Any of the largely terrible deco’d mechtech weapons would quickly ruin the imposing aesthetic of this figure.

Jetwing Prime Mode

The weapons set:

This is stunning. Gorgeous. Take a look for yourself. He is a tad back heavy but that’s why the designers put in two back heel pieces that help increase his feet’s surface area coverage. This provides strong stability.

The wings can be put into any position and it’s got a lovely range of angles you can play with. The guns, just plan awesome. Remember GC-01 with the guns underneath the arms? This is that plus awesome wings and the gun actually moving with the arms.

What you ultimately have is an imposing Prime. He’s the commander in chief who marshals the troops and is the centrepiece of the Autobot forces. The air of authority is reinforced by the weapons he has at his disposal but the facial expression gives a sense of leader who will do the job that needs to be done.

This is opposed to Buster Jetfire-Prime which you feel s a great imposing and powerful toy but does not have the overall demeanour and character of DA-15.

Compared to Buster Jetfire-Prime, he also has better articulation. Legs and arms can both easily move thanks to rubber connectors that blend into the aesthetic very nicely. They have good give and make this far more poseable than the previous incarnation of an armoured Prime.

Again the guns can have mechtech weapons attached to them. But I ask you? Why? It’s damn imposing as it is already. Puny, poorly painted mechtech clutter just cuts away at the commanding presence of this toy.

The two gun pieces can be stowed away in the back of the wings. Everything belongs somewhere and you don’t have to worry about storage.

There’s a nice touch with the shoulder flaps too. You’ll notice that it just flops but at a certain angle, parallel to the ground, it clicks into place and you have to click it to keep rotating. Really like that touch and gives it this sense of finalising the transformation when you clamp it down on Prime.

Gripes? I don’t have one. I just want a stand for the damn thing. Like the Macross one’s. The range of in flight poses would be amazing. I was too lazy to grab one from my other Macross toy’s because it’s a pain reposing them again but I’m sure it’d be phenomenal if it supported DA-15’s weight.

Some comparison pics across all three

Can you interchange the backpack?

The short answer? Yes.

Using the Buster Prime mold, the sturdiness isn’t the same so you feel the jetpack isn’t as secure as it is on the DA-15 mold. However, it’s not really noticeable and play value is retained given the limited articulation already posed by the new backpack. There are two clips under the arm of the DA-15 that help secure the guns. Again, it is less secure relative to the DA-15 but hardly significant. You won’t find the gun popping off anytime soon.

Here's a pic of the remold so that the jetpack can lock into place securely:

Here's the back heel pieces:

The principal difference I felt was the Premium’s batteries. That really changes the weight distribution overall and I’ve had a relatively tougher time trying to keep the Premium Buster from toppling over compared to DA-15.

A niggling concern I have is with the back heel pieces. I’m not sure if using them on my Premium will scratch the figure the paintjob over time as it uses friction largely to kick it locked in. Something to keep an eye on.

Transformation

Very standard if you have the ROTF Prime mold already. None of the remolding affected transformation. I had quite some trouble to be honest as I hadn’t revisited the mold in a long time. Took me close to 20 minutes to get the whole thing done.

I do love the jetpack. It’s very simple to attach and deploy. You don’t have to disconnect the rubber attachment as well. It’s very easy to connect the two and I love it. No messing around like you had to with Jetfire from ROTF to get the right look and feel. That was a nightmare and in fact one of my duplicates from the Premium two-pack has not been untransformed because it’s so hard. With DA-15? It’s just so easy. And it should be.

Alt Mode

It’s very cool looking but obviously it doesn’t make much sense given the Movie line is based on realistic vehicles. Why does a truck have wings and massive cannons attached to it? I’m mot sure but I am happy with the look if I suspend the imagination and think of it from a sci-fi perspective. It’s quite gorgeous in that light actually. The way things retain articulation provides a range of visual choices as well.

The colour of the guns and the overall vehicle are very nice. The back bit clips on very firmly and the articulation of the wings is retained which allows you to play around with the look. Here, the silver and the gunmetal really come to the fore and contrast the plain grey. I don’t mind it though it’s not optimal.

My only gripe with this mode is the two back heel pieces detach easily with the slightest of nudges. They really don’t make a great deal of sense but I don’t mind them.

Worth it?

Every penny if you can get it at retail in Australia. With impending sales, it’s a crime if you don’t. It’s a gorgeous addition to the collection and the retention of articulation makes it clearly the best of any Prime. it’s interoperability with other Premium version’s of Prime easily make it a must because that’s what your Premium Prime deserves.

If you have to import, as those in Europe or North America, it does feel a tad steep. If you don’t own ROTF Prime in any incarnation, there’s no hesitation. Do it.

Otherwise, ultimately you are paying for a piece of armour with Mechtech ports. The question turns on how much you of a armoured Prime fan you are. If you love large armoured Primes, there’s nothing that beats this. If you have a glass case, this is deserving of display in its own right. I will be coming back for a cheaper version in the mid year sales

For those wondering if they should wait for Ultimate Optimus Prime due in the 3rd quarter. I can’t say for sure but based on pictures alone to date, this one to me was the definitive one. Having seen him in trailers (which I have tried to avoid) this will –easily– be the best representation. Unless of course the photography from official Hasbro photographers to fan ones to date have just been terrible. So to me, the Ultimate Optimus Prime mold’s only selling points are that it’s a new figure and the trailer. To me those aren’t enough.

If the criteria is adding to the overall personality, variation and aesthetic of one’s collection DA-15 Jetwing Prime is a must. Go get it. Now.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Excellent! Thanks for reviewing it for us, STL. I have posted a thread for your review at TFW2005, crediting yourself, of course.

Internets fame and fortune awaits you!*

*This is a lie.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Sorry in advance to anyone who gets bugged by the large pics but I love large pictures. Often find that the most lacking on other sites when I see a new fig.

Without further ado, here are few more. Love this guy. One of the best retail pick ups in long time.

New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

How posable is the neck joint? Can he look up? (it just looks weird him having a jetpack and not being able to look up like Iron Man movie figures) That's one of the main factors behind me considering this fig.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    How posable is the neck joint? Can he look up? (it just looks weird him having a jetpack and not being able to look up like Iron Man movie figures) That's one of the main factors behind me considering this fig.
    I was gonna write a reply but I figured I'd let the pics do the work. This is a lot of fun.

I would love this pic w/ him a on stand flying towards you.

More pics cos I realise they didn't give a good enough view of head articulation

Wow, there are A LOT of C-joint clips on that backpack and cannons (C-joint being the clip system weapons that were used a lot last year and in the HA basics).
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Great review STL, I might pick one up and leave MISB as I have an impending feeling that he will get a 'premium' repaint. But honestly looks like a great figure and articulation is surprisingly good!

Question - So no electronics in this version?

The comments on the 'Global' (American) sites have been mixed, but at least it hasn't been all bad... so there will be quite a few jealous American fans out there.
    I think most do recognise it as being a more movie accurate & playable 'large-size' Optimus Prime toy, and despite some colouring issues (on the toy and the backpack), the overall look is worth the price (but shop around when they are released to other storechains).
    It probably could have been a bit cheaper, considering our current exchange rate, but compared to what we currently pay for Leader class figures, or JP import figures, it's probably what we would have expected to pay here.
    (it'll be interesting to see how much this will end up costing to import from JP or HK when it is released, to see how good/bad a deal we got here)

As soon as it appears at BigW or TRU, I'll be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by k.wong23 View Post
    Great review STL, I might pick one up and leave MISB as I have an impending feeling that he will get a 'premium' repaint. But honestly looks like a great figure and articulation is surprisingly good!

Question - So no electronics in this version?
    It doesn't come with working electronics, no. I'm not sure if the electronics still work since there's a new torse. However, the clip that activated the sounds is still there so probably still there. Then again they might have reduced production costs and stripped that out. I haven't put batteries in and don't intend to at this point. May do it tonight but as noted in the review, on the Premium, the batteries change the weight distribution so certainly not my preference.

Excellent review dude! I missed out on the ROTF Leader and I'm not that impressed with the upcoming DOTM Ultra, this is definitely bought on sight.