View Poll Results: TF3 : DotM - worth watching?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • excellent, must see

50 43.86%
  • good, see if you can

35 30.70%
  • average

22 19.30%
  • disappointing, avoid it

7 6.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers 3 : Dark of the Moon (spoilers)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dissapointed with DOTM??? Need to 'debrief'??

Hi all. I rarely post on here but like all of you I'm an avid TF fan. So, after just seeing DOTM at the melb central midnight screening I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who need to vent their slight dissapointment or near psychotic rage over the F@$%^D UP MESS THAT IS DOTM!!!

Now, I didn't want to listen those naysayers out there (and certainly didn't want to be one of them) who I've told myself were just Bay haters or wouldn't allow themselves to appreciate a fantastical SFX extravaganza such as what I figured DOTM would be. I was willing to look past those Bay staples: the lingering shots of the bimbo (especially annoying for gayformers like myself!), the lack of character development, the poor narrative, the lame humour (which I actually don't mind, I must say!) and just enjoy the show. But, as a fan of TF from way back, I'm afraid I can't appreciate this film for being just that when it involves such an inconsistent and incongruous narrative and the character assasination of our beloved bots and cons. For example, Rosie Huntington-Bimbo chides Megs like he's a snotty little kid and he doesn't crush her like the bimbo bug that she is? C'MON!! Sentinel is already a Rosenbauer when he's been on the moon for 50 years? And my heart just about shot out through my ass when I learned the Dino was Dino and Q was Q. EEERGGHHHH!!! It was pretty down hill from there for me.

Those are just minor examples as I don't want to include 'spoilers' for those who haven't seen it yet and may read this. IMO, at the end of the day, DOTM does suffer from the same inadequacies as ROTF did.

I'm sure many of you will enjoy this for just what it is - a SFX blockbuster and as that it is fine. Your enjoyment can only be facilitated by not having to sit between constantly fidgetting, commentating, popcorn feed masticiating mammals and a lack of concern for how TF is interpreted by Bay.

One positive: laserbeak was pretty cool.

Hope you can enjoy DOTM more than I did!

You're just jealous that your makeup can't stay THAT good even though you've been through the middle of a warzone...

Also, laserbeak transforms from a painting? Wait... what?

Ithoughtit was great aside from shockwaves involvement. And laser beak transformed into a plasma screen on the wall not a painting

The humor was great! One of the funniest movies I have seen that wasn't an actual comedy specific movie.

Rosie was great

I loved it, I already booked my tickets to see it again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by KillinSpoon View Post
    You're just jealous that your makeup can't stay THAT good even though you've been through the middle of a warzone...

Also, laserbeak transforms from a painting? Wait... what?
    Granted, a couple of LB's transformations were kinda silly.

And it was quite an achievement on my part not to leave the screening with my mascara running down my cheeks . . . so definately no jealousy there!

bowspearer Guest

I reached the conclusion a long time ago that what was missing from the LAMs in terms of their substance was a shot of Michael Bay popping up on screen every single time there was an explosion:

With the mouth and eyes animated Robot Chicken style and
    this dubbed in via ADR.

Quote Originally Posted by MeisterROB75 View Post
    Hi all. I rarely post on here but like all of you I'm an avid TF fan. So, after just seeing DOTM at the melb central midnight screening I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who need to vent their slight dissapointment or near psychotic rage over the F@$%^D UP MESS THAT IS DOTM!!!

Now, I didn't want to listen those naysayers out there (and certainly didn't want to be one of them) who I've told myself were just Bay haters or wouldn't allow themselves to appreciate a fantastical SFX extravaganza such as what I figured DOTM would be. I was willing to look past those Bay staples: the lingering shots of the bimbo (especially annoying for gayformers like myself!), the lack of character development, the poor narrative, the lame humour (which I actually don't mind, I must say!) and just enjoy the show. But, as a fan of TF from way back, I'm afraid I can't appreciate this film for being just that when it involves such an inconsistent and incongruous narrative and the character assasination of our beloved bots and cons. For example, Rosie Huntington-Bimbo chides Megs like he's a snotty little kid and he doesn't crush her like the bimbo bug that she is? C'MON!! Sentinel is already a Rosenbauer when he's been on the moon for 50 years? And my heart just about shot out through my ass when I learned the Dino was Dino and Q was Q. EEERGGHHHH!!! It was pretty down hill from there for me.

Those are just minor examples as I don't want to include 'spoilers' for those who haven't seen it yet and may read this. IMO, at the end of the day, DOTM does suffer from the same inadequacies as ROTF did.

I'm sure many of you will enjoy this for just what it is - a SFX blockbuster and as that it is fine. Your enjoyment can only be facilitated by not having to sit between constantly fidgetting, commentating, popcorn feed masticiating mammals and a lack of concern for how TF is interpreted by Bay.

One positive: laserbeak was pretty cool.

Hope you can enjoy DOTM more than I did!

Since my expectations and care-factor were rock bottom, I enjoyed the film overall. But I do have my irks.

CONS
    -The continual emasculation of Megs as a character.
    -Zero character development for Starscream and Shockwave, but yet quite a bit screen time is devoted to their fates, especially compared to the fate of Megatron and Sentinel.
    -Anti-climactic ultimate showdown between Prime & Prime & Megs
    -Spending too much time sliding across floors of a building which seemingly defies the laws of physics.
    -Wtf is with that matrix
    -Patrick Dempsey's character being overbearingly loyal to the Cons cause despite the elimination of their primary leverage over him.
    -The fact that Prime (and to a degree other Autobots) get to live on due to the mercy/carelessness of others but he achieves victory by being brutal and mercilessly decisive. This ones just a personal irk of mine regarding characterization.

PROS
    -Laserbeak upholding a reputation for being the most competent Con ever.
    -I thought the first half of the film was actually pretty good theatre. Revealing the conspiracy, Sam's personal issues/woes, Sentinel plot twist etc, etc.
    - Nice special effects
    - Decent comic relief
    - Ken Jeong & John Malkovich were hilarious. Numerous other appearances by lesser-known actors whom I love.

Within the context of the Bay universe, this was the best one, hands down. It's definitely the closest he's come to actually making a Transformers movie, as opposed to an action movie with TF's in the background like the first 2.

It felt like a proper Sci-Fi movie, whereas the previous two felt more like fantasy-adventure films.

I've got a bunch of problems with it, sure, just like everyone else, but overall it's a pretty solid action movie. And repeat viewings will likely improve it further, I feel, because the biggest problem I have is how densely packed a movie it was.

Watched the movie this afternoon and loved it!
    Much better than the second, not sure about the 1st as it has been a while ..

isn't there a movie review thread for this already?

All I have to say is "WHYRONHIDE?!" Why did Ironhide have to be killed! he's my favorite character from the movie series. Could have got rid of Ratchet. Other than that this movie was massively awesome and I can not wait to see it again!