Thread: Custom: Taking DOTM Sideswipe apart.

Default Custom: Taking DOTM Sideswipe apart.

I'm trying to take my DOTM Deluxe Sideswipe apart to give him some paint. While I have found many people detailing pin removal, they always have something under the pin like a block of wood a piece of rubber to stabilize it. What do you do on a figure like Sideswipe where the pins are positioned in such a way you can't put anything directly under the pin?

I'm afraid of stressing the plastic on his fenders, windshield and boot since pins need to be removed before these thin parts can come off.

EDIT: Here's the part that's the problem.

Can't you mask it off and paint around it? Because getting it out is one thing, putting it back without damage is something to think about.
    But if you really want to get it out I'd punch it against a small piece of wood with a hole drilled in to accommodate the pin then use pliers when you get a little bit punched out.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Can't you mask it off and paint around it? Because getting it out is one thing, putting it back without damage is something to think about.
    But if you really want to get it out I'd punch it against a small piece of wood with a hole drilled in to accommodate the pin then use pliers when you get a little bit punched out.
    I am leaning towards masking it off, I'll go get some tape tomorrow. I was kind of hoping there would be a technique to get them out without damage to make the painting easier.

For anyone else thinking of customizing DOTM Sideswipe the main body is held together with lots of pins in hard to reach places and the screws are under the pinned sections. And the ball joints at the shoulders are so tight they can't be pulled off.