Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Submissions, corrections, suggestions

Default Submissions, corrections, suggestions

This will be the only open topic in this section, as none of the reference listings are open for discussion.

If you have a submission (to an existing reference topic), a correction to something here, or a suggested review/change to existing content - post here WITH a link to the topic or its exact title name.

If you have a suggestion for a new resource/reference topic, or want to submit a new one, post here with details/description, and I'll see if it is suitable - If it is worth adding, I would then go through the content with you, or ask for you to post up what you've got and would create a new topic from your post.
    This goes for any staff or members who are currently or later assigned to this project - discussion needs to be kept off the reference topics (like on a wiki site). This is just to keep the postings 'clean' and concise as possible, so that people don't need to wade through stuff that isn't archival information (like comments or signature files).

If one of your reference topics is used here, you can edit/update it if you want - it can be your responsibility if you choose. Otherwise, the staff of this section can update it whenever necessary (from this submissions topic).
    Last edited by griffin; 21st July 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Beast Wars toy prices seem too high. Early Deluxes were under $20 at Big W (I'll dig up that scan from the first catalogue when I can). Basics were more like $10 weren't they.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Beast Wars toy prices seem too high. Early Deluxes were under $20 at Big W (I'll dig up that scan from the first catalogue when I can). Basics were more like $10 weren't they.
    Yeah, that's right. And Megas were $30ish and Ultras about $50.

Prices were from a recorded range, which included expensive stores... so could be skewed to the high side.
    I have some catalogues as well from that era, plus some archived sightings, which I will go through after I've done up the toy lists and re-edit those sorts of minor details.
    If you have something that is easily accessible, I can change the listings now from your numbers.

BTW, this section hasn't yet been officially launched, but each new post shows up on the daily listings, so it's not going to be a surprise when it is added to the main table.
    It's a work in progress though, which will take a while before enough is posted to make it worth unveiling.

Oops. The lists are looking good though. I've enjoyed reading through them. I'd hold off other suggestions for now.

Could you unapprove the thread once you've published it? It should hide them (including this one) from all but the moderators and you could "approve" them when you want to launch.

Oops.
    Don't be sorry. You haven't spoiled anything.
    It's okay if people see these topics/posts - I could have hidden the entire section from the search engine and daily listings... but I figured that some of the first items I've posted up are needed quite often, so I want to have people use them if possible (which I've already been linking to them in some public topics).
    You're free to use or refer to these topics as well, now that you know the link to access this section.

And just to be clear - corrections or additions to topics already here CAN be posted. I don't want to knock back anyone already keen to have something fixed.
    I'm only not revealing/unveiling this section until such time that I think the format will work (after I've set up a number of topics to see if this concept is worth the effort).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Prices were from a recorded range, which included expensive stores... so could be skewed to the high side.
    I have some catalogues as well from that era, plus some archived sightings, which I will go through after I've done up the toy lists and re-edit those sorts of minor details.
    Cool. When you do, the prices do currently seem to be inflated. Is it excluding any sort of sale prices? Even if you look at your own fantastic resource here, it says that Beast Machines prices were:

Beast Machines Retail Prices in Australia.
    Supreme - $99.00-$109.00
    Ultra - $37.28-$59.99
    Mega - $15-$44.99
    Deployer - $8.99-$13.51
    Deluxe - $9.95-$32.49
    Beast Rider - $13.51-$24.74
    Basic - $5.47-$16.99

And yet in the new Beast Machines guide it says:

(SPM) Supreme - $99-$109
    (SUP) Super - $80-100
    (U) Ultra - $50-60
    (M) Mega - $40-45
    (D) Deluxe - $25-33
    (BR) Beast Rider - $20-24
    (DEP) Deployer - $10-13
    (B) Basic - $15-17

And the Beast Wars prices are:

(SUP) Super - $80-100
    (U) Ultra - $55-60
    (M) Mega - $40-45
    (D) Deluxe - $25-33
    (B) Basic - $15-17

which is the same as you have for Beast Machines prices (and even more expensive for Ultras.) 1997 Beast Wars prices were definitely cheaper than this.

In the Crossovers thread there is one error.
    It is the class 1 SW figures. It is really minor, but you have the 2 Jedi Starfighters listed as the wrong versions around.
    Should be:
    Obi Wan/Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter
    Anakin/Ep3 Jedi Starfighter

There is a small difference between the Ep2 Jedi Starfighter and the one in the Clone Wars tv show. The give away is the location of the droid dome. If it is in the centre, it is Clone Wars.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

SWTFs - I'll fix that up. I haven't got any images or had a close look at those figures yet, so was likely to get something wrong from my guesses at their vehicle modes (as a not-so-much-a-SW-fan).

As for the prices - I actually used the ones from that archive listing you linked to, but those need to be fixed to remove the discounted/clearance prices I included (to make it more comparable throughout the years between the regular prices we've had to pay here). Basically I took the highest prices from that page, and made an approximate range from there by noting that stores are usually within $5-10 of the store that was the most expensive.

Anyway, spent most of today going through my box of old catalogues (that go back to the early 90s - it was a trippy flashback going through all of them )... and these are prices I found. From these I can extrapolate other prices, based on the set price points/gaps we have here.
    Later I'll go through the early Ozformers newsletters to see if I posted any prices in there as well.

Basic
    1997 - $10 (TRU, Myer)
    1998 - $12-15 (W4K, TRU, TW)
    1999 - $12-13 (TW, TRU)
    2000 - $12 (TW)
    2002 - $13-15 (KM, BW)
    (currently at $16-20)

Deluxe
    1997 - $17-18 (TRU, BW, Myer)
    1998 - $19-26 (TRU, W4K)
    1999 - $25 (TW)
    2002 - $25 (KM, TW, BW, TRU)
    (currently at $24-35)

BW Deluxe w/ Video
    1998 - $20-25 (BW, TRU)

Mega/Voyager
    1998 - $30 (TW)
    2002 - $40 (KM, TRU)
    (currently at $49-55)

Ultra
    1998 - $40-48 (TW, W4K)
    2000 - $50 (TW)
    2002 - $55-58 (KM, BW
    2003 - $60 (TW)
    (not a current size class)

RiD Leader
    2003 - $80 (TW)
    (currently at $88-100)

TFA Super
    2002/2003 - $90-99 (KM, BW)

Exchange rates during that time, which Hasbro used as justification to raise prices (but ignores the exchange rate when it goes back up).
    1996 - US$0.74 up to US$0.80 (peak just at the end of the year as BW was just about to be released here)
    1997 - US$0.78 down to US$0.66 (weaker rate = higher AU retail prices, as in the price rise next year)
    1998 - US$0.66 to US$0.59 to US0.62 (still dropping)
    1999 - US$0.63 to US$0.66 to US0.64 (minimal movement this year)
    2000 - US$0.65 down to US$0.52 to end on US$0.55 (big drop this year)
    2001 - US$0.55 down to US$0.50 to end on US$0.51 (the lowest point)
    2002 - US$0.51 up to US$0.57 to US$0.56 (on the way back up from this point on, with a trough in 2009)

The exchange rate has been offsetting inflation and any US retail price rises since 2001... but we've still seen price rises in the last 10 years (no passing on of the Hasbro AUS's savings).

If I can't find actual documented prices for certain size classes during a particular series, I will include an estimate in brackets, based on prices of other size classes known or an adjacent series.