Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Digital Photography Equipment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post

What setting are you taking the pics in?

Have you learnt how to use the various other modes yet (like aperture or shutter priority)?

How about adjusting your focal point?
    To be honest, the pictures I posted in the other thread are all from me playing around with the camera settings.

I don't know which ones are which but I was trying out the S and A settings and Macro and portrait. I want to try and do a picture like the one with the seekers in the toy photography thread. With a 3 in focus and then only Starcream in focus. I love that picture.

I just need to practice using the settings more I guess.

I have since learnt more about changing the focal point using the multi selector. I want to take more pictures but the lighting thing is really frustrating me. Hopefully the cool white globes will fix that

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    To be honest, the pictures I posted in the other thread are all from me playing around with the camera settings.

I don't know which ones a which but I was trying out the S and A settings and Macro and portrait.

I have since learnt more about changing the focal point using the multi selector. I want to take more pictures but the lighting thing is really frustrating me. Hopefully the cool white globes will fix that
    If you don't remember what mode was what for each pic, you can always look at the metadata of each pic on your computer (by clicking the file and looking at properties) and it should display what mode, aperture, shutter and ISO the pic was taken in (among many other things).

Maybe try taking a few in aperture priority (with ISO at 800 or 1600) and play around with a few f-stops from maybe f/5.0 to f/11 whilst adjusting the exposure compensation to see what works best for you given the lighting you have available at the time.

My advice is to just set one focal length (for consistency whilst comparing), pose one figure and then just work with that figure whilst adjusting the settings - once you've figured it out, remember that setting and you will find it works well with every subsequent figure after that.

Lighting is important, but it's not the end all or be all for creating great shots - work with what you have and you can adjust the camera settings to compensate for the lack of lighting.

When you start mentioning ISO and the f-stops that is where you lose me. I have read up on them but I don't fully understand them. I usually just put the ISO on Auto and let the camera do the rest.

I might set everything up a bit later today and try out a few more settings. I think this thread and your knowledge will help me immensely.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    When you start mentioning ISO and the f-stops that is where you lose me. I have read up on them but I don't fully understand them. I usually just put the ISO on Auto and let the camera do the rest.

I might set everything up a bit later today and try out a few more settings. I think this thread and your knowledge will help me immensely.

Thank you
    You're welcome.

Someone with more knowledge may disagree with what I say since I'm a relative newbie to DSLRs myself (sub-3 months).

As for leaving ISO on Auto, that's fine in the interim, but you will need to learn how to experiment with aperture.

You need to grasp a basic understanding of the elements to be able to figure out how they are all inter-related and affect the pics you're taking.

Maybe read up further on ISO and aperture (and shutter)?

Basics
    ISO (film speed)
    Aperture
    Shutter

Vector Prime is spot on, you need to understand how aperture, shutter speed and ISO work together.

In simple terms:
    ISO - sensitivity to light (like good ol' film)
    Aperture - the size of the opening in the lens
    Shutter speed - the amount of time that the shutter is open

One thing to be careful of is that a high ISO means your pictures will have lots of noise (grain) - it's the same as buying film. It's best to stick within the range of 100 to 400 ISO.

Aperture is a confusing thing to learn. Large apertures mean you let lots of light in through a large opening in the lens but they're given the smaller f/stop numbers. So f/2.8 is a much larger aperture than f/22. Just remember it's opposite and you'll be right.

There's so much more I could ramble on about. I'm happy to try and answer questions though, I teach Photography at my local TAFE so I think I know what I'm rambling about, hah!

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    Vector Prime is spot on
    Yay!

One thing to be careful of is that a high ISO means your pictures will have lots of noise (grain) - it's the same as buying film. It's best to stick within the range of 100 to 400 ISO.
    Interesting that you recommend 100 to 400 - I never shoot anything in that range.

I use mostly 800 to 1600 and don't really notice that much noise - I might experiment with the slower film speeds and see what sort of results I get.

Interesting that you recommend 100 to 400 - I never shoot anything in that range.

I use mostly 800 to 1600 and don't really notice that much noise - I might experiment with the slower film speeds and see what sort of results I get.
    You might surprise yourself, between 100 and 400 is beautifully clear and crisp. The only downfall is that you won't be able to get such fast shutter speeds in low light, so a tripod will probably be necessary.

I just had another lookie at your photos in the toy photography thread and I don't see much noise at all, generally 800 isn't too bad though. And when photos are resized for web use, you don't notice noise so much anyway. If you were to print a photo taken at 1600 ISO as an enlargement, you'd definitely notice the noise.

You might surprise yourself, between 100 and 400 is beautifully clear and crisp. The only downfall is that you won't be able to get such fast shutter speeds in low light, so a tripod will probably be necessary.

I just had another lookie at your photos in the toy photography thread and I don't see much noise at all, generally 800 isn't too bad though. And when photos are resized for web use, you don't notice noise so much anyway. If you were to print a photo taken at 1600 ISO as an enlargement, you'd definitely notice the noise.
    I shall do some experimenting tonight with the lower speeds and post my findings (pics) - I've recently purchased a tripod, so the slower shutter speeds won't be a problem.

On a side note, picked up another prime lens 'bargain' today - Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 for just under $300, so my current lens selection is as follows:

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron SP Di II Macro 60mm f/2
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (SOLD)

I shall do some experimenting tonight with the lower speeds and post my findings (pics) - I've recently purchased a tripod, so the slower shutter speeds won't be a problem.

On a side note, picked up another prime lens 'bargain' today - Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 for just under $300, so my current lens selection is as follows:

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron SP Di II Macro 60mm f/2
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (SOLD)
    Nice! You have more lenses than me and I've been doing this photography thing since 2006!

I'll look forward to seeing your photos. I need to find the time to take some more photos, working 3 jobs blows.

Nice! You have more lenses than me and I've been doing this photography thing since 2006!
    Lol... when I get into something, I tend to go slightly overboard - still not done yet with the lenses though.

Have decided to move away from zoom lenses and focus (no pun intended) on prime lenses - next on the shopping list is a 22mm prime (which will give me the approximate equivalent of 35mm).

I also intend on upgrading to a full frame body later on (5D Mark II's successor, whenever that comes out) so I want to be able to re-use the same lenses (EF-S zoom lenses don't fit).

I'll look forward to seeing your photos. I need to find the time to take some more photos, working 3 jobs blows.
    Working one job already blows! But whatever it takes to make the dollars so you can live (or buy stuff that you don't necessarily need).