Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromewear on G1's

Default Chromewear on G1's

Hi, I recently moved house and have now managed to put nearly all transformers back on their shelves. But during this slow process I have noticed two transformers who had super clean chrome like a mirror who have now what I would say is significant chromewear. The suspects are Soundwaves buttons and Gnaws teeth.

Now this is disheartning because I hunted for pristine examples of these guys but now they are in what I call 'played with' condition.

They were both in the same glass windowed disaply cabniet whose temperature is cooler than room temperate - due to it being a cabniet. Other g1s like Hound and Optimus who have chrome parts are still nice and smick.

Does anyone have any input of the 'best conditions' to keep g1 transformers to avoid chrome wear? I dont particulary want to keep them in boxes but I dont want to buy something super smick condition and then have wear eat away at them without my knowledge. Or is this just the way/to be expected with g1's?

There was an article on the old 'Transformer Variants' site that from memory suggested the only way to avoid chrome wear was to keep your Transformers in a sealed vacuum.

The same thing happened to my Soundwave, Sideswipes feet, and Grimlocks tail. They are all my originals and very carefully played with when I was younger. For approx. 5 years they have been locked away in my glass display however there has been noticeable chrome wear developing.

It's not only the G1's though - my MP05 is also showing signs of chrome wear and it was literally taken out of the box and placed into a cabinet without even transforming him once.

This is just one of the pitfalls of a G1 collector. You have to learn to accept it otherwise it'll just drive you insane.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

As mentioned by 5FDP, Chrome wear is unavoidable. You can slow it down by being careful with the toy and keeping it in a dry area away from dust and sunlight but at best, you will only slow down the degradation process.

The only way to avoid it fully would be to put it in a vacuum sealed container and leaving it in the dark forever and no one wants to do that.

Naturally, some chromed toys lasts a lot longer than others but the vacuum-metalized ones (specially on plastic) are the most vulnerable and most difficult one to repair short of sending the part to be re-chromed which is very expensive.

Stuff like MP Megatron's feet can be fixed with polish since the metal's shine is a natural one, so polishing out the 'rust' brings out the shiny metal underneath.
    Last edited by kup; 22nd August 2011 at 02:11 PM.

Chemicals can remove chrome as well so stay away from bleach etc. I think it might be the ammonia. Also stuff like ip alcohol, oven cleaners and stuff with sodium hydroxide. Maybe it's caused by the chemicals of the cabinet leeching out.

I coated some of my chrome with clear coat paint a long time ago and it does seem to have helped. Also dust will suck the life out of chrome big time.

Cheers guys just I will have to handle the wear unfortunatly, 5FDP - I noticed some wear on one grimlocks tail too

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    I coated some of my chrome with clear coat paint a long time ago and it does seem to have helped. Also dust will suck the life out of chrome big time.
    Yeah thats why I have the cabniets dust - is the mortal enemy of all transformer displays - just ones from ikea so nothing fancy that has polished up or coated many times. So no chemicals leeching out.... hopefully

So there's the issue of chrome wearing on G1 toys, but what about a resolution? I know that there are enamel paints out there that allow you to put a gloss layer on your toys to maintain their shine, and there are even 'chrome silver' paints, but the paint isn't actually chrome..

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    So there's the issue of chrome wearing on G1 toys, but what about a resolution? I know that there are enamel paints out there that allow you to put a gloss layer on your toys to maintain their shine, and there are even 'chrome silver' paints, but the paint isn't actually chrome..
    My experience with clear paint on chrome is that it ruins it.

Has anyone tried clear nail polish? I'm forever having to buy more because my dad is always stealing it for some obscure purpose or another.

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    Has anyone tried clear nail polish? I'm forever having to buy more because my dad is always stealing it for some obscure purpose or another.
    Some of us use nail polish to tighten loose ball joints on figures. Maybe your dad has a secret collection!