Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which's the best Ultra Magnus toy in your eyes?

Question Which's the best Ultra Magnus toy in your eyes?

I've been in pursuit of a perfect Ultra Magnus for quite a while and I'm getting desperate with the result.

Bottom line:

1. I don't want a white Optimus Prime;
    2. I don't like a disproportioned transformer that when in robot mode can't even split his legs; and
    3. seeing he's my favorite next to OP he gotta look 95% (if not 100%) close to his image in the comics.

As such I've pretty much ruled out all the Ultra Magnus I can find on eBay so far. I have seen the classic one complimented with the Fanproject City Commander upgrade kit and think that's the best version I've seen so far. But I'll need to sell a kidney if I'm getting one of those.

Just wondering which (or what) is the best Ultra Magnus in everyone's opinion? Any hint would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcee View Post
    3. seeing he's my favorite next to OP he gotta look 95% (if not 100%) close to his image in the comics.
    I would say a large part of your problem lies there. The only real option you would have would be a PVC figure that doesn't transform. Or the Titanium version of Ultra Magnus. You could get a Masterpiece Magnus and one of those dodgy 3rd party trailers for that, but that's probably more expensive than the Fansproject version.

Most of the rest don't look much like Magnus from the comics at all.

oh, I forgot about that issue of the Dreamwave comic where he drops his armour. in that case, get a MP magnus and BAM! EXACTLY like in the comic(but looks like Prime)

As Tetsuwan Convoy has mentioned, there isn't really a 95% character model accurate toy rendition of Ultra Magnus unless you go for a bust or PVC toy.

The closest official one is the Titanium release which isn't exactly a great figure and I would go as far as to say that it's at best 80% character model accurate. However it is somewhat lacking and has crucial design flaws indicative to the Titanium line. It also isn't the best looking sculpt ever although it is the most accurate to the character model.

Also as Tetsuwan mentioned, there are one or two really dodgy looking Masterpiece armor upgrades but they are overly expensive and dodgy.

The balance between the closest and best toy representation of G1 Magnus is the FansProject City Commander upgrade for Classics Ultra Magnus. However it does fall a fair bit short of your 95% character model accuracy mark.

Titanium Ultra Magnus:

City Commander:

Just remembered, since you didn't mention WHICH Ultra Magnus you were referring too....

Animated Ultra Magnus.

Comic Accurate? Check!
    Cartoon Accurate? Check!
    Not A White Optimus? Check!
    Good Proportions? Check!
    Spreadable legs? Check!

Sounds like a winner. Awesome toy too

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Just remembered, since you didn't mention WHICH Ultra Magnus you were referring too....

Animated Ultra Magnus.

Comic Accurate? Check!
    Cartoon Accurate? Check!
    Not A White Optimus? Check!
    Good Proportions? Check!
    Spreadable legs? Check!

Sounds like a winner. Awesome toy too
    I am assuming that G1 is what is wanted but yeah, The Animated version wins hands down using those listed parameters. Several of the Animated toys are actually very character model accurate.

The rumour mill has rumblings of an eventual official UM using the new MP10 mold, but they are just rumblings...

And weren't the Spacepet guys testing the waters of a new Classics UM upgrade too?

Yes G1 is what I want. I actually prefer the Fanproject City Commander to the Titanium version. Would be better if they can do something to that head.

I've also seen this custom painted on eBay, thought it's a good paint but his upper body looks unproportioned and the head on a spike is pathetic:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220836459...84.m1423.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I am assuming that G1 is what is wanted but yeah, The Animated version wins hands down using those listed parameters. Several of the Animated toys are actually very character model accurate.

If you're after the most G1 cartoon accurate toy of Ultra Magnus, I'd stick with the G1 toy. The Titanium and Fansproject toys are (holds up flame shield) pretty loose/weak interpretations of the cartoon character and the white cabs are simply 'Magnus' (what's ultra about them?). Patience is the key, Hasbro will do Ultra Magnus justice one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    If you're after the most G1 cartoon accurate toy of Ultra Magnus, I'd stick with the G1 toy. The Titanium and Fansproject toys are (holds up flame shield) pretty loose/weak interpretations of the cartoon character and the white cabs are simply 'Magnus' (what's ultra about them?). Patience is the key, Hasbro will do Ultra Magnus justice one day.
    I'll hold on to that...just pray it won't take forever!