Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Should we let foreigners in as members?

Lame. Saintly's point about mods at night is the only real reason not to let this dude join.

As Griff said, contacts overseas is a good thing.

Griffin, I think your compromise is fine and a trial would be useful.

There no need to be too concerned about what happens in the early hours as I log in early during the day, and there's nothing to stop any local member run(ning )amuck overnight and we'd deal with them all the same.

griffin: you could ask him/her "As a non-Australian, why do you wish to participate in a board that is predominantly populated by Australian fans with a focus on Australian Transfandom?" - in other words, s/he should provide you with a valid reason for wanting to participate here, from the sounds of it it could be because s/he's had previous trade relationships with Australian and New Zealand fans and would like to establish further trade contacts/relationships with fans in this region - just prompt him/her to clarify his/her reason for wanting to participate here as a non-Australian.

Also, what about the "Location" thing for members? Maybe we should include an "overseas" option for those who are outside Australia.

We are a local shop for local people, we'll have no trouble here!

I agree that the forum should be only for fans living in Australian/NZ or with some relevance like Gok mentioned.

Even if just a few Americans join, it will radically change the ambience of the forum and make moderating much more difficult. Many American fans are very hostile and abusive to other members, you only have to read the US forums a little bit to find that. Yes they are acustomed to it and sites like TFW2005 do a good job of keeping it down but it is still very visible.

I don't want the above to happen here.

Since I got one very angry responce from an American who was refused access, I thought that maybe I can post here the details of the person who is not local and why they want to be here, and give a week for people to say yes or no - that way I can show to them that it wasn't my choice if they are refused entry, and I don't have to get the brunt of their abuse.
    If that's how he responded then to me he seems as someone who we would not have wanted in the forum to begin with despite where he is from. Someone who replies in that form was destined to cause problems and tensions between members with bad behavior and attitude, hurting the ambiance of the forum.

I'm very displeased with your statement.
    As the only non Australian currently active on the forums, I know thats its quite hard for me to partake in some discussions -- ie, most but I still like to come in and read whats being found and then partake when I can.
    I think that Roller's comment was just a bad attempt at humor. He wasn't serious.
    Last edited by kup; 12th February 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    But dude, if i want a yanks opinion i'll post at TFW.......
    Sorry buddy, but you're gonna get yank opinions here anyway

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Many American fans are very hostile and abusive to other members, you only have to read the US forums a little bit to find that.
    What a short-sighted generalization. I think what you're talking about is the result of the economics of scale, not the logistics of nationality.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

I like pie!

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Me...I'm racist. I hate the whole goddam Human Race.

Filthy humans.....

Please don't make this personal, the question asked in this thread is general, and while some people may have explicit or implicit prejudices, this isn't the place to argue about them.

Well except Dirtydigger who just hates everyone
    Last edited by Paulbot; 12th February 2008 at 02:28 PM.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Well except Dirtydigger who just hates everyone
    Hey I resent that.
    I don't mind mutants, cyborgs, androids, aliens and Aaron Archer.

It's just the humans that I want to wipe from the face of this planet like a cleansing flame to a bacterial infestation of putrid vermin and rotting disease.