Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronicle Optimus & Megatron sets now out (& pics)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The lack of accessories makes it more G1 accurate actually, because Goodbye Megatron never came with the sniper accessories. I don't think Goodbye Megatron even came with the scope/fusion cannon, did he? If so, then even just giving him that is over-accessorising him.

Remember folks - it's a reissue of Goodbye Megatron, not a reissue of regular G1 Megatron! (and regular G1 Megatron's already been reissued several times) Ah, you lucky WAers and your liberal toy-gun laws! Even though I have a NSW permit, if customs intercepts it I would have to take a day off work to collect the toy from their office with my permit. Gah! Having said that, I have no interest in getting this toy -- already have 2 different versions of G1 Megatron and DotM Voyager Megs -- not worth the hassle for a variant of a toy I already own. A reissue Browning on the other hand, I'd be willing to go through the hassle to get that!
    Well not really. One important difference is that Goodbye Megatron didn't have the moulding on his back leg for the stock whereas this latest release does. Also Goodbye Megatron does come with his cannon, sword and gun plus bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Has that been stated anywhere or are you just assuming due to the lack of accessories and chrome?
    No, it's never been officially stated AFAIK. However I think the intention is there. The core robot is the same colours as Goodbye Megatron, albeit modified with different accessories. It's as much a reissue of Goodbye Megatron as eHobby Megaplex is a reissue of VSX Megatron. It's not explicitly stated, but it's kinda obvious. Kinda like how G1 Ricochet isn't explicitly stated to be a Hasbro reissue of Stepper - and it does come with different accessories from G1 Stepper - but for all intents and purposes it's a reissue... or as close to one as we've gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Well not really. One important difference is that Goodbye Megatron didn't have the moulding on his back leg for the stock whereas this latest release does. Also Goodbye Megatron does come with his cannon, sword and gun plus bullets.
    That's true.

This toy technically isn't explicitly stated to be a reissue of Goodbye Megatron, but for all intents and purposes it effectively is one (or as close to getting one as we'll probably ever get). The mould and accessories look the same as the reissue Megatron mould; and this would've been done to:
    a: save on costs, cheaper to just use the existing reissue Megs mould rather than retooling it to match such an obscure variant
    b: help differentiate it from the original Goodbye Megatron, which I'm sure G1 purists would appreciate

I mean, to me, eHobby Megaplex is - for all intents and purposes - a reissue of VSX Megatron, even though it has different accessories and is the same mould as the reissue Megatron toy (VSX Megatron also never had the stock clip and also didn't have the arm mount for the fusion cannon/scope). It's marketed as a whole new character by eHobby, but it's essentially a reissue of VSX Megs -- just as say the eHobby Insecticon Clones are reissues of Diaclone Insecticons but marketed as new Transformer characters, if you get my meaning.

What would've made this toy a bit cooler to me is if they did what eHobby does and give this toy a whole new persona instead of just making it a "reissue". Like maybe call it "Megatron II" and write up a profile stating that this is the clone of Megatron from G1 (you know, the one Straxus made) -- similar to how they marketed the two different reissues of Galvatron (the common purple reissue was regular Galvatron, the eHobby reissue (in G1 toy accurate colours) was Galvatron II).

So technically, no this toy isn't an explicitly stated reissue of Goodbye Megatron - but it effectively is. Despite minor mould differences and some different additional accessories, it has the same colours as Goodbye Megatron and it also lacks the silencer and stock like Goodbye Megatron. For anyone wanting a Goodbye Megatron but aren't willing to fork out aftermarket prices for it and don't mind the differences, then they might consider getting this toy.