Thread: Best way to apply Bot/Con symbols???

Default Best way to apply Bot/Con symbols???

Whats the best way to go about autobots or decepticons symbols on TF's, stickers or paint them on?

What considerations have you had to consider or learnt the hard way from personal experience?

Stickers are the easiest way to go. Whether you print out your own onto sticker paper or buy them from reprolabels.com or TFStickers.com just peel them off and stick them down.

My preferred way probably isn't everyone's favorite but I'd rather waterslide decals. It requires you to wet the decal and slide it off the backing paper and can be hard to manipulate into place but I find they're more durable and less prone to peeling off than sticker.

Painting that level of detail by hand is not attainable by anyone on this board. Don't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    My preferred way probably isn't everyone's favorite but I'd rather waterslide decals. It requires you to wet the decal and slide it off the backing paper and can be hard to manipulate into place but I find they're more durable and less prone to peeling off than sticker.
    I like waterslides too. Where do you get them done? I've previously had mine printed by samueldecal but haven't had anything printed for a while.

I found this a while back. A nice low cost way of adding faction symbols.

Pros like Frenzyrumble use vinyl stencils to airbrush factions onto their customs.

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Easiest and cheapest option for waterslide decals is probably this ebay seller, especially if you're only after standard logos or want light logos on dark backgrounds.

Alternatively, if you're comfortable with basic use of Photoshop/GIMP you can print your own waterslide decals using an inkjet or laser printer. Best place to ask is a local hobby shop but basically they should be able to sell you some clear water slide decal paper which you can then print on to. You'll want to seal the print with either Microscale liquid decal film or Testors decal bond. Note that this won't work for white/light colours on a dark background. Lancalot has done this recently with his Tiger Track custom so he should be able to give you a more detailed guide.

Either way, to use a decal, it helps if you're applying them on a smooth glossy surface. Trim it out as close to the art work as you can to minimise visible edges, dip in water for 10-20 seconds, then gently work it loose from the backing and slide it into position with a wet paint brush. Blot excess water and let it dry in position. Microscale Microsol will soften the decal film and help it conform to surface details. Clear coat over the top to protect them from damage. More detail here.

That's a nice find. There's some good stuff there.

Thanks for all the websites some nice looking stickers to try

Just noticed one thing on one site they had the fraction symbols that come in gold/silver/white/mirror and clear is there any hard and fast rule about which one would suit a TF figure?

Quote Originally Posted by ohmic12 View Post
    Thanks for all the websites some nice looking stickers to try

Just noticed one thing on one site they had the fraction symbols that come in gold/silver/white/mirror and clear is there any hard and fast rule about which one would suit a TF figure?
    Nope. Depends on the figure, both in terms of size of symbol and type. For instance, Reprolabels have faction symbols with the FOC characteristic glow effect on them, which works for FOC figures, but not so much for, say, your G1 bots. The white outline ones look good on dark figures. Gold ones won't look so good on figures with a lot of chrome or if the colour scheme doesn't suit it. Etc, etc, etc.

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohmic12 View Post
    is there any hard and fast rule about which one would suit a TF figure?
    The only rule is that you have to like how it looks.

I think most logos used to be red/purple, usually with silver backing but sometimes with white, black or no backing. More recently there's been full silver logos with no backing for both factions. Some of the G2 autobots had logos in yellow or orange. The G2 FOC Bruticus and the new MP Acid Storm have emblems in black with no backing.

In general, match to your colour scheme, but beyond that you can do almost anything without being wrong.