Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clean up sticky tape marks?

Default How to clean up sticky tape marks?

I don't know what exactly is the term for that thing but here's how it happens:

Sometimes when you peel off stick tapes from a smooth surface, it leaves a grossy sticky layer. It's impossible to rub it off with wet wipes, even impossible to scrub off with nails or knife (yes, I've tried that a LOT and decide to give up).

I've got quite a few boxes and cards with that problem. When the marks are new they are extremely sticky you can't put them together with other cards or boxes, otherwise they all stick together. And if you leave them alone, very soon they'll attract a lot of dust and dirts, and wherever they are just go black.

They got me obssessed but I just don't know what to do with them. So annoying.

Anyone may know how to deal with such things?

It stinks for a while after, but eucalyptus oil works very well on sticky residue!
    It won't clear up the actual paper tho (say you're removing a price label from a DVD case).... u have to remove all that first, but the stuff that's left behind will go in an instant.
    Sticky residue on paper/card i think it works but you have to be a bit more careful with the rubbing.
    You can get it in chemists cause it's usually for flu etc.

what he said
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

You could try a slightly damp long pile microfibre cloth. Trust me they clean anything without chemicals.

Whenever I remove a sticker or label of some kind off something, I always use my hairdryer to heat it up first. I don't know the reasons behind it but there's something to do with warming up the adhesive that causes it to peel right off without leaving any residue behind. Its magic really.

Zippo lighter fluid used by Heroic D... he shows it on his blog
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    Whenever I remove a sticker or label of some kind off something, I always use my hairdryer to heat it up first. I don't know the reasons behind it but there's something to do with warming up the adhesive that causes it to peel right off without leaving any residue behind. Its magic really.
    That's fabulous! I've been using zippo lighter fluid but it's not perfect. It works for some but not for others.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    It stinks for a while after, but eucalyptus oil works very well on sticky residue!
    Gonna check it out in the chemist's tomorrow lunch break.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    You could try a slightly damp long pile microfibre cloth. Trust me they clean anything without chemicals.

I have a couple of the microfibre towels which I use for my camping trips and they are amazing. But somehow they feel kinda posh...not really something I'd want to use as a wipe It might get really difficult to wash afterwards, and they are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    ...Ok, eucalyptus oil for existing problems, and hairdryer for future precautions. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Zippo lighter fluid used by Heroic D... he shows it on his blog
    ...another posh way of doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Arcee View Post
    I have a couple of the microfibre towels which I use for my camping trips and they are amazing. But somehow they feel kinda posh...not really something I'd want to use as a wipe It might get really difficult to wash afterwards, and they are not cheap.
    They are not cheap & they will leave residue you cannot get off but hey I get them for free as samples from suppliers so I just grab one from my sample room when I need one.

I guess you can look it that way Arcee. Although as HD mentioned you can still use the method if you need to remove a good stickers (like in G1 deco Tfs) momentarily and "apparently" once it dries you can still reuse/re attach the sticker. e.g. if you found a Tf you wanna improve the white (using the H202 bath method) and the stickers are in the way but are quite good enough you dont wanna buy replacements, you can peel this off to reuse later using the Zippo method. Best to look up his blog fpr details, not sure where it is there , but the blog is quite interesting especially if your a toyhunter in overseas places and like looking at vintage , pristine G1 stuff

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]