Page 76 of 120 FirstFirst ... 566671727374757677787980818696 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

Wait, my bad... Monzo will be Monxo's name in Japan (LG30), so evidently TakaraTOMY still has rights to both the name Weirdwolf and Monzo. Which is not surprising, as I believe trademark/copyright laws don't cross over languages. There are plenty of examples of names that Hasbro can use that TakaraTOMY can't and vice versa.

The weird one is Laserwave (Japanese name for Shockwave), because it seems that TakaraTOMY were able to secure the rights to that name when written in Katakana, but not when it's Romanised. If you look at MP Shockwave's box and instructions etc., it says "DESTRONLASERWAVE" whenever the name is Romanised, but just レーザーウェーブ (Laserwave) when the name is written in Katakana. And I'm not sure why there's no space between "Destron" and "Laserwave" either. Makes me wonder if the Japanese have separate registries for trademarks written in Japanese or Roman script.

Takara(TOMY) usually doesn't lose trademarks as often as Hasbro, probably because it's less likely for Anglophone names to be taken by someone else in a non-English speaking country. But there are a few including:
    * Inferno ---> "Cybertron Inferno"
    * Octane ---> "Destron Octone"
    etc.

I didn't realise my own Generations Metroplex had a firing missile until I almost shot my eye out yesterday
    I must have forgot I had displayed him like that.
    Not the first time a TF has tried to take me out unexpectedly
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I wonder how quickly a company can lose a trademark after disuse. It might be as quickly as a year (which would explain why Hasbro are so keen on releasing lots of toys named "Optimus Prime" and "Megatron" every year; although I think they've gone a tad overboard (they would only need to release one of each per year) ).

e.g. Bumblebee and Hound; the last time Hasbro used these names before they lost them was in 1995; G2 Go-Bot Bumblebee and the never released G2 Autoroller Sgt. Hound. My presumption has been that toys like BW Buzz Saw and K-9 were assigned these names because Hasbro had lost the rights to Bumblebee and Hound by this stage. Although those toys were released in 1997, Hasbro would've needed to register the names in 1996 well before their release, so their application for those names may have been knocked back as early as just one year after having registered them for the final year of G2 in '95.

Hasbro last used the name "Laserbeak" in 1985 and had lost it by 1997, hence the BW character's name had the cringeworthy spelling of "Lazorbeak." Hasbro last used the name "Weirdwolf" in 2007, which feels like yesterday to me, but was actually 9 freakin' years ago. So yeah... definitely possible that they might've lost the rights to the name in the meantime.

But it's also interesting to imagine why they can't just keep it a "less intrusive" variation, like "Decepticon Weirdwolf" or "Decepticon Weirdwulf" (wulf being German for wolf), or "Oddwolf" or "Oddwulf" or something like that. Wolfwire... Okay, he's a wolf. Wire? Still, I'll take Wolfwire over Tankor or Scattorwolf.
    As I understand it, it's an odd little area of law in which there is not a lot of certainty. Long and consistent use certainly strengthens a trademark though: it's unlikely any company (even LG with their Optimus phone) would ever be able to use Optimus Prime as Hasbro have so consistently used and protected the trademark, and it's so strongly connected to the brand. I would imagine that even if they didn't reuse it for 10 years Optimus Prime would still be too strong a mark for anyone to challenge. On the other hand, a mark like Slugslinger might be a lot harder to hold on to since it doesn't have that prominent association. There's certainly no rule that says they must use the trademark at least once in one period of time.

It's also worth pointing out that trademarks can be held in different areas. Hasbro could stop releasing all Transformers toys tomorrow (DON'T GET ANY IDEAS HASBRO) and if IDW were still publishing the comics they would be able to hold on to the trademarks at least in the area of comic book publishing.

I know that a lot of the above has been stated before but it's always worth talking about this when it comes up, especially as I still see some fans talking about Hasbro "losing the copyright" and other uneducated responses when talking about name changes and other IP issues. I recently saw someone speculating that Titans Return Clobber is so named because Hasbro lost the trademark on Grimlock, which is very unlikely given how much they've used it lately. BTW, the more likely explanation is they're trying to avoid confusion between this version of Grimlock and ARID Grimlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that trademarks can be held in different areas. Hasbro could stop releasing all Transformers toys tomorrow (DON'T GET ANY IDEAS HASBRO) and if IDW were still publishing the comics they would be able to hold on to the trademarks at least in the area of comic book publishing.
    Really? Because Hasbro were unable to even use "Autobot Jazz" for the Alternator toy and had to call it "Meister." I thought it was because Alternators were semi-classified as model cars rather than just action figures and maybe "Jazz" sounded too similar to the Honda Jazz. Also, writers are able to use trademarked names that are different to what Hasbro can use on product. e.g. in the films, cartoons, comics etc., characters like "Ratchet" and "Jazz" are just called that, not "Autobot Ratchet" or "Autobot Jazz." But on any packaging or tech specs bio, they always have to use "Autobot Ratchet" or "Autobot Jazz" etc. IDW were also able to use the name "Octane," and only started using the name "Tankor" after the Universe toy was released. Then Hasbro released Generations Tankor and IDW made up the nicknames "Fat Tankor" and "Tall Tankor" to distinguish them apart in the eyes of other characters.

Other discrepancies include:
    * Noble/Savage ---> Beast Changer
    * Tidal Wave ---> Shockwave (at the time Hasbro didn't have the trademark for Shockwave, hence some toys were called "Shockblast")
    * Rodimus ---> Hot Rod (he later changed his name to Rodimus in the IDW comics; even his Spotlight issue was called "Hot Rod")

I can understand trademarking "Optimus Prime", but just "optimus"? 'Optimus' is simply the Latin word for "best," surely that should be considered too generic for anyone to trademark. If you're going to trademark "optimus," then what about "bonus" (good) or "melius" (better)?
    bonus・melius・optimus = good, better, best

I recently saw someone speculating that Titans Return Clobber is so named because Hasbro lost the trademark on Grimlock, which is very unlikely given how much they've used it lately. BTW, the more likely explanation is they're trying to avoid confusion between this version of Grimlock and ARID Grimlock.
    Or why can't Clobber just be a whole new character?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Really? Because Hasbro were unable to even use "Autobot Jazz" for the Alternator toy and had to call it "Meister." I thought it was because Alternators were semi-classified as model cars rather than just action figures and maybe "Jazz" sounded too similar to the Honda Jazz. Also, writers are able to use trademarked names that are different to what Hasbro can use on product. e.g. in the films, cartoons, comics etc., characters like "Ratchet" and "Jazz" are just called that, not "Autobot Ratchet" or "Autobot Jazz." But on any packaging or tech specs bio, they always have to use "Autobot Ratchet" or "Autobot Jazz" etc. IDW were also able to use the name "Octane," and only started using the name "Tankor" after the Universe toy was released. Then Hasbro released Generations Tankor and IDW made up the nicknames "Fat Tankor" and "Tall Tankor" to distinguish them apart in the eyes of other characters.

Other discrepancies include:
    * Noble/Savage ---> Beast Changer
    * Tidal Wave ---> Shockwave (at the time Hasbro didn't have the trademark for Shockwave, hence some toys were called "Shockblast")
    * Rodimus ---> Hot Rod (he later changed his name to Rodimus in the IDW comics; even his Spotlight issue was called "Hot Rod")

I can understand trademarking "Optimus Prime", but just "optimus"? 'Optimus' is simply the Latin word for "best," surely that should be considered too generic for anyone to trademark. If you're going to trademark "optimus," then what about "bonus" (good) or "melius" (better)?
    bonus・melius・optimus = good, better, best
    In the case of Jazz, you're probably quite right about the Alternators=model cars thing. Just because there are areas doesn't mean a Trademark in one area can't be used to protect another. In the case of Jazz, Honda would hold the mark in the automobile area. Hasbro want to use it for a toy, that's fine, but marks for automobiles are also enforceable in the model car area, and therefore Hasbro are blocked.

In the case of the comics, the fact that they use the names doesn't mean they use the trademarks. The only trademarks that are probably held by Hasbro or IDW for the comic book area are probably "Transformers" "More Than Meets The Eye" and "Robots in Disguise". They wouldn't even need to trademark Optimus Prime in that area because their existing marks would already be enforceable. There very likely isn't a trademark for "Hot Rod" in the comic book area and therefore they can use the name with wild abandon. This happens all the time - Batman is definitely a trademark but ordinary names like Alfred Pennyworth, Jason Todd, Barbara Gordon are no doubt untrademarkable, because they're just people's names.

What I meant was, LG can use "Optimus" for their cell phones but I doubt they could use "Optimus Prime" for the new, improved model. In any case, while optimus is an ordinary Latin word, since Latin is a dead language, terms taken from it are probably viewed as esoteric enough to be used as Trademarks.

Or why can't Clobber just be a whole new character?
    Because Hasbro says he isn't, apparently. Why they thought "Clobber" was a good enough new name for G1 Grimlock is beyond me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    I didn't realise my own Generations Metroplex had a firing missile until I almost shot my eye out yesterday
    I must have forgot I had displayed him like that.
    Not the first time a TF has tried to take me out unexpectedly
    He had a missile? Well there's another lost part lol

What I meant was, LG can use "Optimus" for their cell phones but I doubt they could use "Optimus Prime" for the new, improved model. In any case, while optimus is an ordinary Latin word, since Latin is a dead language, terms taken from it are probably viewed as esoteric enough to be used as Trademarks.
    Yeah, that's what I meant too. Cool. And Latin is "dead" because there are no longer any native speakers of it since the Middle Ages, but there are still plenty of people who speak it (it's the official language of the Vatican); it's just that it's only ever spoken as people's second language. A language which has absolutely no more speakers at all is an extinct language (like many Australian languages).

Because Hasbro says he isn't, apparently. Why they thought "Clobber" was a good enough new name for G1 Grimlock is beyond me though.
    Okay, that is stupid.

I'd like to know how many people actually know latin in Australia? My small knowledge from Transformers and basic english does help with some (well little) latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    I'd like to know how many people actually know latin in Australia? My small knowledge from Transformers and basic english does help with some (well little) latin.
    Replied here

My thoughts in the Clobber situation. Perhaps just because he is a head, they didn't want to go all out and call him Grimlock. Maybe later on they'll release a Grimlock and the Clobber head is just a stand in.

Hopefully the character bios are interesting enough to be able to confirm to us.

In regards to Wolfwire, erm, wot? This seems to make no sense, as it has little relation to the type of character he is, ie crazy. Unless there is some new catch phrase I don't know about.