Page 82 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6272777879808182838485868792102 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

I remember reading once that Michael Bay had the animators for the first movie model Optimus Prime's body language on Liam Neeson. Wanting to find out more, I typed 'optimus prime liam neeson' into a search engine. As it turns out, apparently quite a few people think, or thought, that Neeson voiced Optimus, since there were a couple of question pages asking if that was the case.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I remember reading once that Michael Bay had the animators for the first movie model Optimus Prime's body language on Liam Neeson. Wanting to find out more, I typed 'optimus prime liam neeson' into a search engine. As it turns out, apparently quite a few people think, or thought, that Neeson voiced Optimus, since there were a couple of question pages asking if that was the case.
    I'd love for Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime forever, but if they ever needed to hand the mantle down to someone younger, Liam Neeson would be my first choice.

Cullen auditioned for the role of Optimus Prime, it wasn't simply given to him. Makes me wonder who else auditioned for Optimus Prime. Remember when George Clooney was widely speculated as playing the role of Optimus Prime?
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/trans...us-prime-a1999
    http://www.themovieblog.com/2005/geo...-transformers/
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1531951

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    I'd love for Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime forever, but if they ever needed to hand the mantle down to someone younger, Liam Neeson would be my first choice.
    Neeson is 'only' 11 years younger than Cullen (Neeson was born in 1952; Cullen in 1941).

I can somewhat understand why some people would think Neeson voiced Optimus; if Neeson lowered his voice, spoke more slowly and put on a stronger American accent, he'd sound pretty close to Cullen's movie voice.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Cullen auditioned for the role of Optimus Prime, it wasn't simply given to him. Makes me wonder who else auditioned for Optimus Prime. Remember when George Clooney was widely speculated as playing the role of Optimus Prime?
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/trans...us-prime-a1999
    http://www.themovieblog.com/2005/geo...-transformers/
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1531951
    I don't remember any of that, but I can kind of imagine it. If Clooney lowered his voice...

Susan Boyle could play Optimus.

If she lowered her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Susan Boyle could play Optimus.

If she lowered her voice.
    Transformers: The Musical

Q Transformers Ultra Magnus' packaging blurb states that this toy is based on Ultra Magnus from The Mystery of Convoy
    Quote Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
    Transformers: The Musical
    *ahem*

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Q Transformers Ultra Magnus' packaging blurb states that this toy is based on Ultra Magnus from The Mystery of Convoy
    The QT Transformers did have a phone game available for download, that was a re-skinned version of the Mystery of Convoy NES game. You could scan a code on the box of the toy and then play as that character.

Sadly they started dropping the scan codes with many characters, so you could't play as them. Rather nicely the diferent characters handled differently in game. Some ran faster than others etc etc. It didn't stop the game from sucking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    It didn't stop the game from sucking though.
    Sounds fairly accurate to the original game then.

Today in things I never realised but probably should:

The movie lines have given us a lot of amazing non-movie characters with realistic military plane/helicopter alt modes!

- Incinerator as a V-22 Osprey (vehicle seen in the movie, not as a Transformer)
    - Breakaway/Thrust as an F-35 Lightning II
    - Dirge/Jetblade as a Harrier (ish)
    - Tomahawk as an amalgam of a bunch of different attack helicopters
    - Terradive as a Su-47 Berkut
    - Highbrow as a P-38 Lightning
    - Skyhammer as a Mi-24 Hind (ish)
    - Dreadwing as a Mig-29 Fulcrum
    - Stratosphere as a mish mash of military transport planes (vehicle seen in the movie, not as a Transformer)
    - Air Raid as an AWACS place
    - Hatchet as a Eurofighter Typhoon (character was in DOTM but not transforming into a jet)
    - Mindwipe as an F-117

Quite a lot of quality there.

EDIT: How did I forget Mindwipe?
    Last edited by SharkyMcShark; 7th February 2017 at 03:29 PM.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.