View Poll Results: TFPrime Voy Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 81.82%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • No

1 9.09%
  • Not interested

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Optimus Prime

My issue isn't the mask. It's that the head doesn't look all that close to Prime Prime. If you stuck Prime Prime's head on Movie Prime, I probably wouldn't notice the change.

I quite like this guy, i think he's got a clever transformation!
    My only problem is that his shins sometimes become dislodged in robot mode.. probably can fix it with some clear nail polish.

I got the Japanese version of this toy which has a darker colour scheme than the one in the photo on Post #1 of this thread.

Pics:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...1324536989.jpg
    http://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/toy/searc...mg_slide_1.jpg
    http://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/toy/searc...mg_slide_2.jpg

The engineering of this toy is really similar to the Deluxe figure - they seem to transform in almost the same/very similar ways. But I must say that the design of this figure just works out better as a Voyager; especially with the faux chest windows. The transformation is also easier at this scale too; the arms on the Deluxe are really fiddly. I also really like how they put an Autobot insignia on the left shoulder! (why the Deluxe figure doesn't have an Autobot logo in robot mode baffles and annoys me)

So I would recommend the Voyager over the Deluxe if you're willing to splash out for the higher price point -- otherwise the Deluxe is fundamentally nearly the same as this toy.

After having another fiddle with both Voyager and Deluxe Primes today, the Voyager really is the better figure. I take back what I said before about the transformations being very similar -- there are some similarities, mostly in the legs, but the rest of the transformation scheme is substantially different from the Deluxe.

Between the Deluxe and the Voyager, the Voyager wins hands down. The only nice thing on the Deluxe is the striping on the top roof.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    After having another fiddle with both Voyager and Deluxe Primes today, the Voyager really is the better figure. I take back what I said before about the transformations being very similar -- there are some similarities, mostly in the legs, but the rest of the transformation scheme is substantially different from the Deluxe.

Between the Deluxe and the Voyager, the Voyager wins hands down. The only nice thing on the Deluxe is the striping on the top roof.
    you fail to mention how awesome the front wheels are in his shoulders! rather than in his forearms or on the back like in other toys.

First Edition Voyager prime is hands down my favourite Prime of the year.

as for the faceplate-less version, it'll probably be a redeco with the Orion Pax name.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    you fail to mention how awesome the front wheels are in his shoulders! rather than in his forearms or on the back like in other toys.
    It does look interesting for sure, but I find one slight problem is that the arm pegs don't lock in very securely into the wheel holes and sometimes the shoulders become dislocated with rigorous toy play. You need to get the window-chest section transformed precisely in order to get the arms to lock in better; so that can help. It doesn't pop out a lot, but just occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    as for the faceplate-less version, it'll probably be a redeco with the Orion Pax name.
    See... that'd make sense. Hasbro will probably just call it something random like "Solar Blizzard Optimus Prime"

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It does look interesting for sure, but I find one slight problem is that the arm pegs don't lock in very securely into the wheel holes and sometimes the shoulders become dislocated with rigorous toy play. You need to get the window-chest section transformed precisely in order to get the arms to lock in better; so that can help. It doesn't pop out a lot, but just occasionally.
    Yeah it occasionally does but I can forgive that minor problem. from what I can see the peg only pops out when the arms are handled roughly and are being pulled in a way that forces them to pop out.

the fact that they're aesthetically pleasing and leave the forearms smooth and unmarred by big black wheels and also not just hanging off the back like you're not supposed to see it - makes it a winning design formula in my eyes. the only thing holding it back from perfection is a way to clip the arms and shoulders together so that they don't pop out unintentionally.

I was watching an ep of TF Prime last night (the one where Knockout and Breakdown debut) - and watching the scene where Optimus Prime is fighting cons made me realise just how amazingly show-accurate TakTOM FE Voyager Optimus Prime really is. It was as if I was watching the toy come to life on my TV!

Posted comparison photos between Deluxe and Voyager Optimus Primes here

At first I thought this was going to be a bit of a 'meh' figure, but it has really grown on me a lot in a short amount of time.
    It really is an outstanding figure. But alas no bot is perfect. Yep, there are a few sections that dont peg/tab in at all which I think should; and a the shins (which do actually tab in) come loose far too easily.
    Oh yes, theres also the rubber sword and exhaust stacks. Damn shame that one.
    The figure has a certain x-factor type charm to it, that I can't quite put me finger on. So its hard for me to quantify why I like it so much.

Does the fact that the truck cabin remains a vacant space in both modes (esp bot mode) make anyone else think 'diaclone?' Very easy to see a human 'pilot' in there in robot mode.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.