Thread: PS3 Suddenly Not reading Disc!

Question PS3 Suddenly Not reading Disc!

Hi guys, I've had my PS3 Slim 120GB for 2 years, since 2009 when it was got released. I haven't used it in a while but when I turn the system on and put a game in it makes a strange sound and the blu ray game on the home screen doesn't show up. I have to try putting the game in and out for like 3 times, then eventually works. Has anyone had the same or some what similar issue here?

Does the drive make a really loud banging noise?

Quote Originally Posted by KillinSpoon View Post
    Does the drive make a really loud banging noise?
    Not a bang but like a chugger chugger nose, if ya know what I mean haha.

Yeah, your drive is screwed.
    My friends ps3 is the same, half of the games/blurays don't work unless you apply pressure around where the disk is centered. (if that makes sense) Otherwise it just makes that banging sound you described.

It's an absolute pain but there are various topics about it on the playstation forums. I think the only way to fix it long term is to send it into sony. :/

It was a bit of a shame to see the PS3 slim have a problem like this. I'd thought that the PS3 slim would never have any issues if taken good care of. But it seems it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by KillinSpoon View Post
    Yeah, your drive is screwed.
    My friends ps3 is the same, half of the games/blurays don't work unless you apply pressure around where the disk is centered. (if that makes sense) Otherwise it just makes that banging sound you described.

It's an absolute pain but there are various topics about it on the playstation forums. I think the only way to fix it long term is to send it into sony. :/

I think mine is going the way of the dodo too.

Sadly the slim does suffer this. One of my pals got a new one and within 6 months the drive had conked out. Seems to be luck of the draw though, as I have been using mine for about 2 years with not a single issue.

Off to Sony for your ps3 Blackop, but remember to do a drive backup as I believe they don't guarantee that you get the same PS3 back. And they will probably format the drive anyway.

Good luck.