Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 OTCA Christmas Drive

bowspearer Guest

Default 2011 OTCA Christmas Drive

So I was just out shopping with my girlfriend when we walking into KMart to look at Christmas placemats and I spot the Wishing Tree. Feeling like I should get something for a child somewhere, I pick up a Cyberverse legends figure but then feel guilty so I go back to the Transformers Aisle.

That's when I notice that the DOTM HA Basics have been reduced to $10. So I pick 2 up (Thunderhead and Icepick) and hand them over then and there- which is when it hits me.

These guys are only slightly more than a small legends figure and have way more play value for a 5 year old or older for whom this might be the only TF they get this year- heck, it might be their first TF ever.

So this is the challenge for those who want to participate in it. We each go into Kmart and pick up at least 1 HA Basic figure to donate to the Kmart Wishing Tree.

People can of course get other things, but at $10 each, the HA Basics make great play value while giving almost the best bang for our buck in terms of quantity.

When each person does so, they list it here so we can keep a tally, including by figure if people want that kind of a breakdown. Perhaps someone will want to turn this into a competition but I was thinking it could be a challenge as a community to see just how many kids we can help out this year.

We're all here because we fell in love with Transformers as a kid. This is a great chance for us as a community to no only pass on that love to a heap of kids, but those in most need of that childlike wonder at Christmas who might otherwise get nothing.

I'll start the tally off with the 2 I just got and I'll probably go back to my local Kmart next pay and pick up a few more.

So far the tally stands at

Icepick- 1
    Thunderhead- 1

So who else is in?

EDIT:

Current tally stands at:
    HA Basics:
    Icepick- 1
    Thunderhead- 1

Cyberverse Legions-
    Skids- 1
    Barricade- 1
    Bumblebee- 1

Deluxe Class: 2

Leader Class:
    Bumblebee/Deluxe Starscream- 1

Total kids reached- 8.

There's still a week to go and plenty of time to make a difference on this one. Let's keep it coming guys .
    Last edited by bowspearer; 18th December 2011 at 08:31 AM.

mate sounds like a great idea for kids that will not get alot this Christmas, i will definately be in it. as i came from a family with not alot i guess that was my drive to collect. plus i'd like to think that if my family was in this situation that someone would do the same for them.

only Q i have is that does it have to be just an Dotm HA or can we go for the deluxe as well?

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

As the Xmas Drive that STL organised with a number of others doesn't seem to of resurfaced this year, which was no small feat mind you, I'll be glad to join in on this as soon as I can find my way past a Kmart - How long does the $10 price-tag remain?

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crankcase76 View Post
    mate sounds like a great idea for kids that will not get alot this Christmas, i will definately be in it. as i came from a family with not alot i guess that was my drive to collect. plus i'd like to think that if my family was in this situation that someone would do the same for them.
    Excellent, welcome aboard .

Quote Originally Posted by crankcase76 View Post
    only Q i have is that does it have to be just an Dotm HA or can we go for the deluxe as well?
    It's your call, but bear this in mind. At $25 a deluxe, you can get 2 and a half HA basics at that price and so you can reach 2 and a half times the amount of kids for the same money spent. That's the other reason I suggested HA Basics @ $10- there's just much more economy of scale there for what you're spending .

Like I said though, it's your call. If you'd rather say, get 1 or 2 kids a deluxe instead of 2-5 kids a basic for that amount of money, then either way, kids who might have gotten nothing are still getting something .

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    As the Xmas Drive that STL organised with a number of others doesn't seem to of resurfaced this year, which was no small feat mind you, I'll be glad to join in on this as soon as I can find my way past a Kmart - How long does the $10 price-tag remain?
    Excellent. As for the price, it looks like it's a price drop from what I could see- the price tag I saw wasn't a sale tag. My guess is it lasts just as long as they still have HA basics in and for the purposes of this, until the cutoff date for the giving tree.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Excellent. As for the price, it looks like it's a price drop from what I could see- the price tag I saw wasn't a sale tag. My guess is it lasts just as long as they still have HA basics in and for the purposes of this, until the cutoff date for the giving tree.
    Sweet as, I'll let you know what happens guys.

tried to get something started a few months ago.

haven't heard from STL if he's been talking to the same charities he was taking to last year. I do like the giving tree idea as well.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

That's an awesome idea. I'll definitely pop something under the wishing tree. The basic Kre-O sets are another option. And clearance tags have been appearing on those.

This is a great idea,
    I'll try and contribute too

oh and for those of you who want to buy a deluxe Kmart does have those exclusive Deluxe DOTM optimus toys (pretty sure those are like $15 each)

Great work, Bowspearer. I'm definitely happy to fall behind this as I haven't organised it this year as I did last. It was my hope to redo it this year but I just haven't been able to. I have over the course of the year though purchased cheap toys to donate and will be more than happy to contribute to this effort.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    tried to get something started a few months ago.

haven't heard from STL if he's been talking to the same charities he was taking to last year. I do like the giving tree idea as well.
    My apologies. I haven't been in a position to follow up this year as I've had to manage a lot of things in my personal life. I have been in touch with the charities and I'm not sure how many are aware but Orana Family Services is ceasing operations after a nasty media incident earlier this year where one of the orphans ran off while on excursion (being mischevious) which placed enormous pressure on Orana as the mainstream media bombarded it for "abandoning" a child.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ch...824-1jacz.html

It's very unfortunate and it's a reminder how difficult it is to manage such orphans. As tragic as their backgrounds are, they are real kids with often more than real idiosycracies that do not make them easy to look after. Having attended and met with the children, I admire the work that was done there as well as the staff who had worked hard to do right by these kids. Broadmeadows / Meadow Heights (where Orana is located) is not an easy place for a youth to grow up, let alone an orphaned one.

The other organisation the IFYS I have been in touch with but as I was unable to organise this pre-October (when they do their planning, logistics and budgeting) we were not able to contribute but they will be keen for us to help again next year.

So in short, I do feel bad for dropping the ball this year but will aim to get things back on track next year as hopefully things settle down for me. In the meantime, I'm more happy to get behind any other initiatives anyone may have.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I might try to grab a couple things to stick under the tree. Nothing to buy myself so might as well give to someone in need. Don't know what I'll get. About time I splurged a bit