Page 142 of 154 FirstFirst ... 122132137138139140141142143144145146147152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Spider-Man far from home. Better and worse than the first film for many different reasons, not as character driven and very special effects laden but it makes sense. You?ll be watching the movie going ?what???? Then it all makes sense at the end. My wife who has no knowledge of the comics was surprised but I think most people will figure it all out pretty quickly.

Make sure to stay till the end for clues about the direction of the mcu into phase four. I?m very interested in where they go from here.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Saw Spider-Man: Far From Home. It has it's slow moments but mainly it's good and I knew what Mysterio's main weapon was going to be although this Mysterio has a grander background story.

When it comes to the post credits scenes, the first one is the bigger WTF. How the hell is Pete going to get out of this one?!

I've seen Parasite twice in cinemas now. I went in watching the first time completely blind about this movie and I strongly recommend that people watch it the same way. Don't ask questions about it, don't read any synopses and don't watch any trailers.

This film has won awards at film festivals in Sydney, Munich and Cannes (where it won the Palm d'Or).
    In an age where so many movies are remakes or adaptations of pre-existing material it's really refreshing to see a movie that's not. While I do enjoy my superhero movies it is a breath of fresh air to see something more original.

This is an M rated film and not family friendly -- definitely not one for kiddies so I would only recommend it for adults only. This movie is kind of like Fight Club in that I just cannot talk about it to anyone who hasn't seen it, and for those who have we can sit down and talk about how this movie has spun us out and WTH did we just watch and how do we make sense of this. One interesting thing is what genre would you classify Parasite as? Because different people have different opinions, and here's the creepy thing, your answer says something about your personality type. I saw it the first time with colleagues and we all had different ideas on the genre. Second time I saw with the Mrs and she also had a different view.

I cannot recommend this film highly enough. I would rate it as one of the top films of 2019, especially given its originality.

I'm hearing good things about Toy Story Four but ... undecided as to whether or not I want to watch it.
    I loved Toy Story and Toy Story 2 but found Toy Story 3 to be disappointing, and not through any fault of the film per se, but it was something that I, as a toy collector, couldn't relate to. And it proved that the villain from Toy Story 2 was right all along, which kinda nullified the point of that story.

Toy Story I loved because we were all Andy. That's how we started as toy collectors. Toy Story 2 not only continued this spirit, but also showed us the darker sides of toy collecting: a) people who quit and abandon their toys (horrible!), and b) low-life scalpers who get toys just to jack up their after market prices to sell onto other collectors (scum!). We meet Jessie the cow girl who has emotional issues after having been abandoned. We meet Stinky Pete who has spent his life as a MISB figure and has thus never felt the warm touch of a loving toy collector's hand to play with him. He has grown bitter as a result and sees himself and his fellow toys as museum pieces rather than playthings. Pete tells Woody and his friends to stay with him and allow themselves to become part of a collection where they'll never be played with but will instead continue to be appreciated as display pieces. He tells them that this is a better life for them rather than repeating what Jessie has experienced where Andy will one day abandon them too - maybe when he reaches high school or university.

Woody refuses to believe this and tells them that Andy is different; he will love them to infinity and beyond. And this is the part of Toy Story 2 that I as a toy collector really clicked with. Because I saw myself in Andy! Andy represents toy collectors like us -- we've clung onto our childhood toys and continue loving them as we loved them long ago; to infinity and beyond! Screw you, Stinky Pete, what do you know? You stick it to him, Woody! And Jessie has to make a choice and she places her faith in Andy.

Only for all of this to come crashing down by Toy Story 3 where we see that Stinky Pete's despicable prophecy has come true. Andy has abandoned his toys (who the freak does that?!?). They've been languishing in disuse - in storage (seriously?) - for years and now Andy's a teenager who's finishing high school and is about to go to uni. And at the end of the film he gives away his entire collection to that little girl. Okay, it's a good ending in a way that the toys find a new owner - someone else who will love them now that Andy has betrayed and abandoned them (that person-born-out-of-wedlock!). And Spanish Buzz is pretty funny. But still... I just did not like that outcome because it's just not one that we toy collectors can relate to. Now my Toy-Muggle friends have told me that this ending is fine for them and it's only upsetting to the minority of people who still collect toys, and okay, I get that. As I said, objectively speaking, I don't think it's a problem with the story per se... just a problem with the way that I experienced it. Because I know that even as I was approaching the end of primary school there were loads of kids who quit their toys. Sold off or gave away their Transformers. And while this may have been advantageous for me because I could get cheap or free toys, the bigger disadvantage is that I was losing playmates. I was quickly losing the community and until the internet came along it felt like I was the only one for many years.

But the people who've all told me that Toy Story Four was really good have all been Muggles. I've yet to speak with a toy collector who's watched the film so... has anyone here seen it and if so, what did you think about it?
    NO SPOILERS PLEASE
    Just use single words to describe the movie or how it made you feel. Maybe tell me how many stars you would rate it out of 5? Thanks.

Lion King. Great visually but being photo realistic means losing the emotional expressions of the characters from the cartoon. No emotions in the face i can understand why some are saying its souless. Some people clapped at the end. 6/10.

Toy Story 4. Nothing wrong from a cinematic point of view. Acting, visuals, pacing all great. Story-wise, I felt it unnecessary and feel they could?ve left it at Toy Story 3.

Just finished watching Batman:Hush and I wish there was a way of talking about it without spoiling it. Once again a brilliant twist near the end.

Finally saw "Mirai" today. Enjoyable film with some interesting themes and motifs, although I personally prefer Wolf Children.

I felt that Kamishiraishi Mone was possibly not the right casting choice for Kun as she just sounds too much like a young lady. I know that it's very standard practice to cast women as boys in animation but I just felt that she doesn't have the voice to play a boy and she personally didn't come across as being a convincing infant. I loved Kamishiraishi in her other roles like Mitsuha in Your Name, but I felt that she was miscast as Kun. And in scenes when I was watching Kun interacting with the teenage Mirai (Kuroki Haru), it sounded like they were both about the same age. I know in reality Kamishiraishi is 19 whereas Kuroki is 29, and one of the liberating things about voice acting is that things like your physical age doesn't matter, you just need to sound the part. Kuroki can still sound like a teenage girl quite well. Kamishiraishi is a teenage girl and absolutely sounds like one... her voice kind of broke my suspension of disbelief that I was meant to be listening to a four year old boy. Nothing against her performance, I just think that her voice is too deep to sound like a little boy. <shrugs>

But this is a minor nitpick; on the whole it was an enjoyable film. Not at the same level as Your Name (which is going to be the new Japanese Extension HSC text), but still a good film in its own right and I would rate it above "Fireworks."

Yesterday I saw Hotel Mumbai. A harrowing movie about the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks.

Hobbs and shaw: fun action flick. The action movie needs to be fun, this is fun. Yes you have to suspend belief but at least it does so in inventive ways. A big boofy movie with action. A fun 6/10.