Page 143 of 154 FirstFirst ... 123133138139140141142143144145146147148153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Finally got around to seeing Toy Story 4 and it's not up there with Toy Story 3 (the pick of the bunch) but still very good.

I have to admit Bo-Peep steals the show by going against type and being a sassy action girl. I didn't see that coming.

Sad to hear that Disney has canned all future xmen projects including deadpool. There is one to come out that was already filmed but nothing after that from the existing universe.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Sad to hear that Disney has canned all future xmen projects including deadpool. There is one to come out that was already filmed but nothing after that from the existing universe.
    After Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix I'm not sad to see that version end and look forward to seeing how the X-men are introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe

(I do want to see The New Mutants if that ever gets released).

Also not at all concerned if the next Spider-Man movies are separated from the MCU (as being rumoured today). All the Iron Man / SHIELD stuff in Homecoming and Far From Home was not what I want from a Spider-Man movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    After Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix I'm not sad to see that version end and look forward to seeing how the X-men are introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe

(I do want to see The New Mutants if that ever gets released).

Also not at all concerned if the next Spider-Man movies are separated from the MCU (as being rumoured today). All the Iron Man / SHIELD stuff in Homecoming and Far From Home was not what I want from a Spider-Man movie.
    Yeah, I just read about that... Disney and Sony are making billions from their Spiderman partnership and they both want more money from the deal. Disney doesn't need Sony (the "Avengers" movies never really needed him, as it was probably just a comic thing to have him there as he was just making up numbers that could have been filled by someone else), so you'd think Sony would do just about anything to keep their involvement in the Golden (MCU) Goose, even if it meant sacrificing some of their profit to do it, as another billion-dollar film is better than not having one - do they really think the last two Spiderman movie(s) would have made as much money if it wasn't so intertwined with the MCU (the previous movies all sat around 700-800 million dollars, while these last two in the MCU earned more than all previous movies, and the current one has reached 1.1 billion dollars off the back of the Avengers End Game movie).
    With this being the third version of Spiderman in little over ten years, I certainly wasn't that interested in seeing yet another reboot, but being related to the MCU, I saw Homecoming, and want to see Far From Home... but if Sony have decided to start yet again with a fourth Spiderman in under 15 years, I just don't see the point of seeing the next one.

WARNING: This post contains Spider-Man Far From Home spoilers

IMO the clever thing that the MCU did with Spider-Man was that they didn't really reboot him - not a "hard" reboot anyway. At most a "soft" reboot. They didn't bother retelling his origin story; he was just already Spider-Man by the time he debuted in Civil War. By the time Homecoming came along, Spider-Man had already joined the Avengers. So for movie audiences it brought something new to the table. Marvel made the right call in understanding that audiences don't need to be retold Spider-Man's story all over again.

I personally agree that Sony should just take their lumps and come to the table with Disney as they stand more to gain than lose in the long run. But should they choose to part ways with the MCU then I think the better choice would be to avoid doing another reboot. Perhaps try to find a way to make him "Not-MCU" Spider-Man; i.e. make him basically MCU Spider-Man in all but name. I'm not sure what they could get away with, but some things might include...
    • Allowing Spider-Man to have Stark-tech. Just don't call it Stark; use a different name or just don't mention it by name. The new Spider-Man just happens to have a lot of sick high tech stuff because... reasons. If legal reasons demand an explicit separate origin, fine... call it Osborne tech. He was close to Norman Osborne (who never became the Green Goblin) and Peter Parker inherited his techno-empire. Yay. This isn't too different from the way that the MCU were able to introduce Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver; they changed their origin story and called them "Enhanced" instead of "Mutants," but aside from that they were basically the same characters. Po-tay-to po-tah-to.

• Try to follow on from the events of Far From Home. The world now knows that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Surely that's something that Disney can't trademark. Again, we don't need to be told how or why... he just exists in a world where everyone knows his secret identity and this creates all sorts of problems for Spidey.

• Make half of Peter Parker's schoolmates look 5 years older than the other half (e.g. taller more chiseled blokes with smaller dweebier teenage-looking guys). No need to mention how or why. Just make half the school population look much older than the rest. Just as Tobey MacGuire never looked like a convincing teen, just hire people like him!

...and... that's pretty much it I think.

Griff, it looks there's already a fourth Spiderman (and successful at that) and his name is Miles Morales from Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse.

BTW Yesterday I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and it's impossible trying to compare one Tarantino movie to another. All I'll say is the slow burn side of this movie isn't bad and the ending is one hell of a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I personally agree that Sony should just take their lumps and come to the table with Disney as they stand more to gain than lose in the long run.
    Guh... now that I've read more about this story I've changed my mind. I understand why Sony doesn't want to play with Disney.
    Anyway, if Disney doesn't choose to play nice then I still hope that any future Spider-Man movie will be "Not-Sequels" to MCU Spidey. We really don't need another reboot.

For those who may not know, this is the problem as I understand it...
    * As we all know, Disney owns Marvel Studios while Sony owns the cinematic rights to Spider-Man.
    * Sony pays for the production of every Spider-Man movie.
    * When Disney were starting the MCU they approached Sony and asked if they were willing to share Spider-Man under the proviso that Disney reaps half of profits made by stand-alone Spider-Man movies, despite the fact that Sony still pays for them completely. Sony laughed in their face and declined, then made some Spider-Man movies starring Andrew Garfield.
    * Years later Disney and Sony worked out a deal where Spider-Man (now played by Tom Holland) could appear in MCU movies. Disney pays Sony a licensing fee but otherwise Disney reaps the profits. The counter-balance to this is that when Sony makes stand-alone Spider-Man movies that they are 100% funding, Sony reaps 90% of the profits while Disney takes a 10% cut and also takes profits from merchandising. Yeah, all that sweet Homecoming and Far From Home merch money goes to Disney, not Sony. But in any case, Sony was happy with this deal up till now.
    * Now Disney has insulted Sony by asking them for that 50/50 split again. Sony has already said no to this before and only agreed to share Spider-Man under the 90/10 deal.

Honestly... if I were Sony I'd also tell Disney to go take a jump off Splash Mountain.

Once upon a time...in Hollywood.

A slow burn kind of film that just suddenly puts the accelerator on at the end. Knowing the real-life events of the movie made me even more tense. Some wonderfully crafted scenes and impeccable performances by the leading cast.

Recently saw It Chapter 2 and adding up both the first and the second movie, it's like taking the It miniseries and cranking it up to eleven.

Or another example would be like doing the same to Clive Barker's Lord Of Illusions.

I saw 天気の子 (Weathering With You) today.

It was enjoyable. Music was great and it was visually entertaining. But I honestly didn't enjoy it as much as 君の名は (Your Name). I found the male protagonist to be less likable than his counterpart in Your Name, and as such I didn't find myself being as emotionally invested in the character and his journey. There were also a few parts of the story that didn't make sense to me.

The crossover with Your Name was also pretty pointless. Neither of these characters had to appear in this film; their roles could've been filled by anyone else. They didn't even directly draw back on or relate to Your Name. What's the point of having a shared cinematic universe if you're not going to do anything with it? It'd be like having some X-Men characters show up in the next MCU film but they just do really boring background stuff, like sweeping the floor or something.

And finally, the translation quality of the subtitles was woefully inaccurate at some points. As in completely off what the characters were actually saying. They also seemed to use swear words where the characters weren't actually swearing (and other times when they did, they would just replace them with non-swear words). But there was some technical information that was grossly mistranslated; and unfortunately I can't just switch the subtitles off when watching a film in the cinema.

Overall: I did find it to be an enjoyable film but certainly no where near as enjoyable as Your Name or Voices of a Distant Star (星の声).