Page 80 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6070757677787980818283848590100 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Civil War was awesome!

SPOILER:

"Hank Pym said never trust a Stark!"
    "Who are you again?"
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

X-men Apocalypse was good, Civil War was better imo.

It had some cool scenes but I wished they'd given some characters more screen time and lines.

I thought Civil War was good but nobody won and that contributes to a sense that nothing was resolved. It feels like the in between movie of a trilogy, bridging a beginning and ending but not having the substance of either.

As for X-Men this retro trailer sold the film for me.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Recently went to see X-Men Apocalypse and I have to admit that I'm still unsure about the new look Apocalypse, but I am impressed with how they've created a villain that has a more balanced personality compared with the one dimensional, cardboard cut-out villain I've seen in the comics/early 90's cartoons. To elaborate on what I mean:

1. To ensure this villain does not come across as overblown and over the top so as not to be cheesy or corny they've incorporated a strong subtle side into him to strengthen the villain's charisma, guile and god complex.

2.As a result the personality has a feel at times reminiscent of Apocalypse' manipulative geneticist Mr. Sinister.

3.And so as a tyrant/mass murderer, Apocalypse is more deadly and more convincing.

PS- What an awesome retro trailer!

It's sad that Jubilee says more in that trailer than the whole movie.

I finally watched Capt. American Civil War last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It felt like a friendlier/lighter version of the Watchmen with similar recurring themes and motifs. These include...

What would superheroes be like a in a more real/credible world?
    There's collateral damage. A lot of collateral damage. Or as Vision calls it, "catastrophe." Whenever the Avengers fight, lots of innocent people die. This movie explores what the results of this would be from various angles. The impact on society, impact on government, as well as impact on the individuals.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    "Who looks after those who look after us?", or as Alan Moore put it, "Who watches the Watchmen?" This is the underlying question behind the accords that the United Nations wishes to impose on the Avengers, which Team Iron Man agree to but Team Captain America do not. And for good reason, because governments cannot be trusted. The UN is concerned about all the collateral damage done by the Avengers, but this damage would've been much worse without them. Remember that during the Chitauri invasion of New York, the government wanted to destroy NYC with a nuclear missile! It was the Avengers' actions which averted this from happening (instead, turning the nuke onto the Chitauri). Okay, the Avengers' fight with Chitauri may have killed several hundreds or maybe thousands of people... but that nuclear missile would have killed millions and hundreds more with the nuclear radiation. Remember that the atom bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki happened 71 years ago. Nuclear warheads today are significantly more powerful and much more devastating than those bombs (the destructive power is now measured in megatonnes instead of kilotonnes). And the UN/CIA were willing to execute Bucky without trial for the alleged assassination of King T'Chaka, an allegation which ultimately proved false. The Scarlet Witch is criticised and effectively imprisoned because she inadvertently killed several innocent people in Nigeria, but bear in mind that the bomb went off when she levitated it in the air, away from the crowded streets below. More people would have died if she'd left it on the ground. She was trying to get the bomb as high up in the sky as possible, but unfortunately it wasn't completely cleared when it exploded.

And then there are some of the main players...

Captain America: Believes in justice above all, even the law. A core value which he shared with Nick Fury and was essentially the underlying value of S.H.I.E.L.D. Rogers remains the ever professional, not allowing his personal feelings to cloud his judgement and thus compromise his ability to perform. Yes, he wants to help Bucky as his friend, but it's also about protecting an innocent man who has been wrongly accused of a crime he didn't do, as well as previous crimes which he did not willingly do because he was brainwashed by Hydra.

Bucky/the Winter Soldier: they are essentially two different characters; somewhat like Bruce Banner and the Hulk only far worse because the Winter Soldier cannot be reasoned with and made to cooperate (whereas the Hulk could; he only went berko when he was enchanted by the Scarlet Witch). Bucky is well aware of this, hence his decision to put himself in ice until someone can find a way to permanently deactivate the Winter Soldier programming in his brain. In this way it's similar to what the Hulk did at the end of Avengers 2; removing himself from the stage because he views himself as being more of a menace than a help. The Winter Soldier is purely a menace. Bucky did try the Banner approach (running and hiding), but of course, Baron Zemo managed to find him and catastrophe ensued.

Iron Man: Stark believes that the Avengers need the accord in order to minimise catastrophe, but much like Mirage and Thundercracker, he has doubts about his own cause. This especially comes to fruition when he discovers that Bucky was framed by Zemo and goes rogue to initially help Cap and Bucky. However, after discovering that the Winter Soldier killed his parents, Stark allows himself to become emotionally compromised, lusting for vengeance against the Winter Soldier. Now, Stark knows that Bucky and the Winter Soldier are two different people. After all, he experienced something similar when the Hulk went nuts and started attacking innocent people and he had to try and battle Hulk without actually killing him ("Go to sleep go to sleep go to sleep..."). Stark was still able to keep level-headed then, but when face-to-face with his parents' killer, and also when discovering that his good friend Steve knew all along... it was too much emotional pain for him to bear and he broke. Ironically and hypocritically, Iron Man became the very reason why the accords were drafted in the first place. He became the rogue super hero turn vigilante who only wanted vengeance, not justice. And Stark isn't obvious to this either, as we see how he helped Rogers to free the imprisoned Avengers at the end of the film. So there does appear to be some level of emotional conflict in Stark.

Black Panther: Again, serves in the similar role of being the vigilante bent on vengeance. But unlike Stark, T'Chaka is able to reel himself in, check his emotions and regained self-control. He realised that he had embarked on a self-destructive journey of revenge and then took himself off that dark path. He took the moral high ground and captured Baron Zemo so that he may answer for his crimes rather than simply killing him, or even allowing him to kill himself. And of course, Panther allies himself with Captain America and Bucky at the end.

Spider-Man: Spider-Man's involvement in the Civil War serves to highlight Tony Stark's darker nature and just how low he was willing to go in order to achieve his goal. While it's clear that Stark (and likely others) have been aware of Spider-Man's existence and true identity for some time now, they've left him alone until now because he's a child! The fact that Stark is willing to recruit a child to fight alongside the Avengers goes to show how far low Stark's morality has gone. He's taken a boy with super powers and zero training and pit him up against other super-powered beings with training. The child soldier, or the infantry. How is this any better than what Hydra did with the twins? Although Parker is highly intelligent, like most kids, he is still very impressionable and easily influenced. He idolises the other Avengers and would do anything to impress "Mr. Stark." He's still in high school, he's not even old enough to enlist in the military, let alone fight superheroes! And Parker being wounded in the fight finally made Stark realise that it was a mistake to bring Spidey, which is why he tells Parker, "you're done" and promptly brings him home. Some people have commented on just how young Tom Holland is (he's only 19 now and was just 18 when they filmed), but I think that this worked in the film's favour because he's young enough to play a minor, and the audience needed to know that Spider-Man is just a child. And this is accurate to the comics, because Peter Parker always starts off as a high schooler, and the movie does state that it's only been 6 months since he was bitten by a radioactive spider^received his powers through undisclosed means because so that Marvel won't get sued by Sony. Ant Man geeks out too, but as an adult he doesn't put himself in nearly as much danger as Spider-Man. Ant-Man gets the job done, he's not desperately trying to impress the Avengers. He's also able to focus and doesn't get distracted by everything like a child ("You have a metal arm?! Dude, that's awesome!").

War Machine: Unlike Iron Man, War Machine is ever the true patriot. There is no hidden or personal agenda with Rhodie; his motivation is to serve his country. And this has always been the case with this character. War Machine is what the United Nations wishes for all of the Avengers to be like. An obedient soldier. War Machine's wounding was also a very powerful moment, especially seeing Falcon and Iron Man both diving to try and rescue him, with Falcon later show remorse and concern over Rhodes, a brother-in-arms through the USAF.

Thunderbolt Ross: This character represents authority and control. We know that Ross desperately wants to use super powered beings in the theatre of war, and we know that Ross is willing to take some morally questionable acts to achieve this (re: the Abomination). Banner was right to drop off the radar to elude Ross (which clearly continues to bug him, as he does mention how the Avengers have lost track of the Hulk and Thor). Given Ross' track record, there is all the more reason that he may not be fully trusted, and by extension of that, the accords and the U.N.

Vision: Extremely powerful and highly intelligent, yet also incredibly naive (as Ultron rightly pointed out). Vision still has a relatively more immature "black and white" worldview, but it's really because he is so young. He's also conflicted between attempting to empathise with his friends and doing what he believes to be the most logical course of action.

The introduction of Redwing was unexpected and hilarious, especially the way the Falcon (and only Wilson) regards the drone as a pet.

It was interesting how they made Baron Zemo more of a villain through his intelligence and ability to divide and conquer the Avengers and ultimately triumph. Because in the end, the Avengers were divided which is what he wanted. Even though the Avengers didn't kill each other, as an organisation, they were annihilated.

X-men Apocalypse would have done better as a 2 parter or a longer movie.

SPOILERS BELOW~~~~~~~~~

-

You were warned!

Movie was great but felt like maybe it should have been released before Civil War as that movie set the bar too high for this one.

Great use of 80's Music.
    Really loved the quicksilver scenes.
    I felt like I was watching Katniss Everdeen instead of Mystique.
    Poe Dameron was an awesome apocalypse and psylocke (Olivia Munn) was fantastic.

Seems Byran Singer can't stop shitting over X-men 3: Last stand with that "the 3rd movie always suck statement when the tweens were coming out of the cinema.

Did anyone stay after the credits? They hinted at Mr Sinister with the essex company and a potential X-23 with wolverines blood vial.

The real downfall was that the movie just wasn't long enough!

I really hope that's not the last time we see apocalypse, i hope his regen is like Mr Sinister where he can come back after being disintegrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    I've been to civil war 3x now, wondering if i should do a forth
    damn son! save your money for the ULTRA HD or 3d Blu ray

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The introduction of Redwing was unexpected and hilarious, especially the way the Falcon (and only Wilson) regards the drone as a pet.
    Redwing had a psychic connection to Sam and they could see through each other eyes. The really cool thing about this cinematic incarnation is Sam has access to the Redwing drone's tactical scans from his goggles thus seeing through its eyes.

Little acknowledgements to the long history of these characters make me respect Marvel even more.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi594 View Post
    X-men Apocalypse would have done better as a 2 parter or a longer movie.

SPOILERS BELOW~~~~~~~~~

-

You were warned!

Movie was great but felt like maybe it should have been released before Civil War as that movie set the bar too high for this one.

Great use of 80's Music.
    Really loved the quicksilver scenes.
    I felt like I was watching Katniss Everdeen instead of Mystique.
    Poe Dameron was an awesome apocalypse and psylocke (Olivia Munn) was fantastic.

Seems Byran Singer can't stop shitting over X-men 3: Last stand with that "the 3rd movie always suck statement when the tweens were coming out of the cinema.

Did anyone stay after the credits? They hinted at Mr Sinister with the essex company and a potential X-23 with wolverines blood vial.

The real downfall was that the movie just wasn't long enough!

I really hope that's not the last time we see apocalypse, i hope his regen is like Mr Sinister where he can come back after being disintegrated.
    1.Especially great is the scene where Metallica's The Four Horsemen is playing.

2.Mystique is the dark side. Raven Darkholme the light side.

3.Apocalypse definitely has to come back because there's no way in hell a director could pass up the prospect of turning the successful Age of Apocalypse event into a movie trilogy.