Page 85 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6575808182838485868788899095105 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Did you watch the extended cut or theatrical?
    I just heard of this extended cut today, a friend said the extended cut makes the film make sense, dunno if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I just heard of this extended cut today, a friend said the extended cut makes the film make sense, dunno if true.
    I just watched the extended cut this afternoon and now understand why it was supposed to be a Superman vs Batman movie as opposed to the Batman movie we got in cinemas.

Despite being 3 looong hours of film I actually prefer the extended version because it fills the gap of the storyline and the film almost makes sense. It is obvious almost all the Superman/Clark scenes were cut from the cinematic release.
    Also there are a few spoilers in the extended version that may be clues to future films.

Yep anyone who hasn't seen BvS, I would recommend viewing the Ultimate Edition (extended cut), it's a lot longer but by far a more complete movie then the theatrical version was, it has definitely changed my opinion of the movie as a whole, personally found it heaps more enjoyable, however the version does seem to have been edited towards a more adult audience, hence I would recommend giving it a watch first in order to determine whether it would be appropriate viewing for your little tackers
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Finally watched Ant-Man. It left me cold, could be a victim of overwhelming positivity but I just found it boring and not any more "funny" than the other marvel flicks. 5/10. Civil War is next I think.

On the other hand Zootopia was great. Perfectly executed, which is surprising considering how they had to redo almost half the movie to make it work. Yet you couldn't tell it had a troubled production. Loved it. 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Finally watched Ant-Man. It left me cold, could be a victim of overwhelming positivity but I just found it boring and not any more "funny" than the other marvel flicks. 5/10. Civil War is next I think.

On the other hand Zootopia was great. Perfectly executed, which is surprising considering how they had to redo almost half the movie to make it work. Yet you couldn't tell it had a troubled production. Loved it. 9/10
    I went into Antman with horrid expectations. So I came out of it thinking it was absolutely amazing.

Had the same expectations regarding Ant-Man and like Guardians of the Galaxy I was blown away.

I agree on Zootopia. John Lasseter has a reputation for being the master when it comes to movies like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    I went into Antman with horrid expectations. So I came out of it thinking it was absolutely amazing.
    Same. And I only watched it a week ago.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Independence Day 2: had low expectations, and those expectations were met. Got cheap tickets which worked out to be $11 for two people, so I can't complain.

I enjoyed the spacecraft designs and pew pew lasers, but boy did the story suck. Like Age of Extinction, the pandering to Chinese audiences with superficial insertion of Chinese characters and product placement sticks out like a sore thumb. If this is the way Hollywood is heading, then meh.

BFG spoilers ahead

Took my daughter to watch BFG today. It's a really fun movie for kids and a pretty faithful adaptation of the old Roald Dahl book (which my daughter is currently reading ). But the main difference that stood out in my mind is that this movie makes the story more "geographically insular," and much of a the violence (i.e. giants eating humans) is implied rather than explicitly stated. In the book, the giants are kidnapping and eating humans, especially children, from around the world, whereas in this film it only seems to be happening in England. Also, while the human alliance with the BFG and military offensive against the giants in the book is spearheaded by England, it is still done with international collaboration with a coalition of forces from different countries invading giant country. In the film it's purely British forces. I wonder if the British Tourism board had anything to do with it. The fate of the giants is also more pleasant (and probably realistic) than the book; rather than being imprisoned in a pit in England and being fed snozzcumbers, the giants are instead dumped on a remote island and given snozzcumber seeds so that they can self-sufficiently grow the crops themselves for subsistence. Also, the final fate of the BFG and Sophie is different; there is no castle built for the BFG with Sophie's cottage next door - instead the BFG returns to giant country (as he is now the only giant there) where he has created a massive vegetable garden with new crops imported from Britain. Sophie now lives with the Queen in Buckingham Palace. Initially I thought that this wasn't as nice an ending, thinking that the BFG deserved to have his own castle... but upon reflection one could see it as an arguable improvement over the book's ending. The idea that the BFG need not conform to human societal standards (and odds are that if he did live in England he would be viewed as a freak, which the movie points out is one of the BFG's greatest fears in terms of human interaction), but rather he is allowed to live his own life and continue his work as a dream catcher. The Royal Breakfast scene is also different in that the BFG shares his frobscottle with his human hosts (with hilarious results). The generals are also far more receptive of the BFG than in the book. So there does seem to be a somewhat greater sense of acceptance and tolerance over any impetus for societal conformity. But otherwise the movie is actually really good adaptation, often with many lines being identical to what's written in the book.

Batman V Superman Ultimate
    Wow, they really should have released this in cinemas instead. Turns out cutting major plot points hurts a movie, who'd of thunk it?
    Studio interference screws another movie (poor Affleck, first Daredevil now BvS).
    8/10 (fanboi score 9/10)

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Bleh. First is good, but this was a mess. Boring.
    5/10