Page 75 of 154 FirstFirst ... 556570717273747576777879808595 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Haven't seen Batman v Superman yet but I have read some spoiler-free reviews and from the sounds of it, it's not good. Normally I don't buy into the reviews but when they're overwhelmingly bad, it's hard not to feel a little let down. I only go to the movies 2-3 times per year and I want to make sure I'm getting my monies worth.

Has anyone here seen it and if so, what are your thoughts?
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Haven't seen Batman v Superman yet but I have read some spoiler-free reviews and from the sounds of it, it's not good. Normally I don't buy into the reviews but when they're overwhelmingly bad, it's hard not to feel a little let down. I only go to the movies 2-3 times per year and I want to make sure I'm getting my monies worth.

All critics are expecting is action action action. So when a movie that is story driven comes along they say it's crap. Much like Man Of Steel, mostly story for first part with some action, then big climactic battle at the end. Wife and I enjoyed it. And we only pay $11 a ticket thanks to Optus

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    All critics are expecting is action action action. So when a movie that is story driven comes along they say it's crap.
    It's not April 1st yet, man.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I enjoyed it but I'm biased as hell (Love me DC) and I know I'm in the minority of those who liked it. Putting my bias aside (as much as I can) its nowhere near as bad as reviews suggest, at worst it's average. Not as action packed as expected but what is there is good (Batman v Thugs near the end being the highlight for me, it was like seeing the Arkham games in film) The shoehorned world building and parts of Lex are the only real issues I had.

Good:
    Batfleck
    All the Bats stuff basically (Batmobile, Alfred etc)
    Half of Eisenberg's Lex
    WW Theme

Not Good:
    Hamfisted Worldbuilding/Cameos
    other Half of Lex
    the Reviews

I'd say 7/10

Batfleck movie needs to be made yesterday

Ace is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I really enjoyed watching Superman vs Batman and I'm really interested in seeing where they take it from here. I liked the pace of the movie but I can understand why people may not like how it slows down at parts. It's hard not to talk about it without giving anything away.

I definitely recommend it. At least to make your own mind up.

I went in with very low expectations for the film, and found that I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

That said, the more I think about it many things don't make a lot of sense or are unanswered questions. Even during the film there were multiple times where the logic just wasn't working for me. "Why would he do that instead of that?" kind of things.

It really felt more like a Batman film than a Superman film, and I thought it did (an older, war-weary) Batman quite well. Lot more Wonder Woman than I expected and she was done well too. Superman though got short changed. (They even did a Lois and Clark style moment where Superman flew off of screen with just wind and sound effect - which on TV budget makes sense but on a movie budget?)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    (They even did a Lois and Clark style moment where Superman flew off of screen with just wind and sound effect - which on TV budget makes sense but on a movie budget?)
    Possibly done as a nod to the tv show.

Hopefully some of the unanswered questions will be addressed with the R rated ultimate cut that is coming to blu ray.

And we definitely need a solo Batfleck movie. He did a good enough to warrant a solo movie

You won't get your monies worth.

It's not awful, but it's not good either. Average-to-poor - 4/10 IMO. The plot's kind of disjointed, the writing's so-so, the characterisation is pretty limited IMO with basically no character development, the fight scenes (aside from the Batman VS thugs fight) are mostly more about the spectacle than the battle going on, and above all they just try and do too much for a single movie. It would have benefited from a few more individual character movies to set the scene/build the world and establish the characters first - the Marvel cinematic universe pulled it off rather better IMO.
    Affleck does better than I would have thought (though I'm not a fan of him as an actor), but the script doesn't really give him anything to work with besides sullen or angry.
    Wonder Woman was great though - totally stole the show IMO.

There's some really nice moments, and some good themes that could have been developed more (it's especially nice to see them taking into account the after-effects of hugely destructive battles between what are basically demi-gods on society at large), but they all kind of get lost in the overall package.

I'd say skip it, at least for a rare cinema trip. It'll be available more cheaply soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    All critics are expecting is action action action. So when a movie that is story driven comes along they say it's crap. Much like Man Of Steel, mostly story for first part with some action, then big climactic battle at the end. Wife and I enjoyed it. And we only pay $11 a ticket thanks to Optus
    I think you've fundamentally misunderstood what a film critic does.

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Going back to my Star Wars fandom and film school years, I believe George Lucas had to quit the DGA to have those credits as they are. Either that, or he threatened to. That said, my memory is a little vague on that point and may not be at all accurate.
    i think he got fined.