Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guardians Vol2 was fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Guardians Vol2 was fun to watch
    More emotional/personal than the first movie, but possibly more laugh out loud moments than the first one too. I could've walked out after the opening sequence/song and been satisfied, that is one of my all time favourite tunes.

A fine way to spend a few hours but nothing groundbreaking or must see, just enjoyable.

Strangely after the first GotG film, I went and bought every lego set, this time around I am really not interested in any but may break my "minifigure rule" and get Taserface just for the chuckles.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Loved GotG2, arguably better than the first. Has tons of heart and knew not to pull its punches when it mattered.

I dread the day GotG is dragged into the mire of the mainline Marvel flicks.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to seeing Dr Strange the other day.

Not terrible by any means, but not all that great either. I must admit, for a relatively unknown character to be given a film, it was quite daring and I did like the way they did it. I guess, I was most disappointed because it ended up being exactly like I though it would be.

Standard movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Speaking of which, I finally got around to seeing Dr Strange the other day.

Not terrible by any means, but not all that great either. I must admit, for a relatively unknown character to be given a film, it was quite daring and I did like the way they did it. I guess, I was most disappointed because it ended up being exactly like I though it would be.

Standard movie.
    At least they didn't insult the brand name. The same cannot be said for Ghost Rider.

I liked Dr. Strange. It wasn't the best but it didn't suck like the Fantastic Four Movies or Green Lantern. I think a lot of times studios make these movies simply to maintain their legal ownership of these properties. But at least Marvel Studios keeps them in continuity, whereas some other studios reboot properties like Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four just to keep the rights. Although Fox did at least handle their rebooting of X-Men pretty well in terms of using time travel. It may be cheesy but it works.

And it's cool that Sony finally joined the party and have agreed to share the cinematic rights to Spider-Man (and kudos to Universal Pictures for being the first to do this back when they chose to share the rights to the Hulk). And it's nice that Fox have shared Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but with greater restrictions than Universal or Sony seem to have placed on Marvel (MCU cannot use their mutant names or even the word "mutant") - their origin stories were also completely changed. While the MCU couldn't make direct references to Universal's Hulk movies or Sony's Spider-Man films, they were still able to use their names and didn't have to change their origins. Hulk isn't an alien and Spider-Man isn't a mutant^an enhanced.

I would love to see Fox sharing their rights to the X-Men with the MCU. It would also allow Fox-Marvel Studios to make a "clean start" for a new actor as Wolverine since:
    a/ Hugh Jackman has announced that he has retired from playing Wolverine
    b/ Cinema audiences are already used to actors changing when characters are absorbed into the MCU - e.g. Quicksilver, Colossus, Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Aunt May etc. - heck, they even changed the actor for War Machine and he never even changed studios! James Rhodes was played by Terrence Howard in the first Iron Man, but replaced by Don Cheadle from Iron Man 2 onwards. People will initially whinge but eventually shut up and get used to it.

Saw Alien Covenant on the weekend and it is definitely a better and more disturbing affair than Prometheus.

Just like she does in the movie, Wonder Woman is kicking all kinds of arse at the box office

Wonder Woman has very easily kicked the arse of Batman vs Superman. Which bodes well for the upcoming Justice League movie in November.

...although Justice League is mostly directed by Zack Snyder, so I dunno. But on the other hand, Joss Whedon is now doing reshoots, post-production and final editing, so it'll be interesting to see what he brings. Also, Snyder's directing of Superman may be different in a film without Superman, as the main problem with his Superman directing is his lack of understanding of the character.

Although the circumstances as to why Snyder had to hand over the directing helm to Whedon is truly tragic. No matter what any of us think about him as a director, as a fellow human being my heart breaks for him and his family.