Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic reviews: IDW More Than Meets The Eye ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I think Roche and Roberts complement each other incredibly well, and I'm personally gutted that Roche won't be doing the art of MTMTE for much longer.

The writing will obviously be as good as ever but a large part of what makes MTMTE#1 and LSOTW is the amazing synergy of art and dialogue. With Roche gone will we love the characters as much? Will the humour have as much impact?

This first issue is such a masterpiece, they can't break up this team!
    I am still skeptical that quality will continue. I don't trust IDW given all the stupid decisions they have made in the last two years so I am not getting my hopes up too much.

I think Roche and Roberts complement each other incredibly well, and I'm personally gutted that Roche won't be doing the art of MTMTE for much longer.
    Oh wow, that's rather disappointing to hear. Is Roche being put to do another title?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Oh wow, that's rather disappointing to hear. Is Roche being put to do another title?
    I think Roche has been on record about wanting to take a bit of a break. I think what he was doing on this first issue was helping the new guy into the swing of things. Take a look at the art credits and you'll see that it's Roche plus someone (can't remember who off hand) and they'll be taking over full time from issue 2 onwards, so we'll soon see how he works out.

RID is supposed to be written by John Barber, who is also the new TF editor. He wrote Sector7 and the movie prequels, which were all quite good.

When is Robots in Disguise out?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    When is Robots in Disguise out?
    Next week. And the Digital-only Comic "Autocracy" is out this week.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 16th January 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Art style didn't look too bad. At times gnarling but I can live with it. Not like the G2 comics which were some of the low points in TF art imo.
    Do you mean Derek Yaniger and/or Manny Galan's art? Cos I thought Geoff Senior's art in G2 was pretty top notch -- a lot better than the other two IMO. Of course, Senior never bothered to use Yaniger's G2 models or emulate his artwork (which Galan has retrospectively admitted was a mistake on his part).

You said it, this first issue sure has delivered the goods. I'm already attached to several of the characters, if anything happens to Rewind I don't know what I'll do, haha.
    Heh, yeah, I like how they're using a wider range of characters like Rewind and Chromedome (and Horri-Bull and Needlenose in RiD).

Speaking of the small fry, I wonder what those disks are he purchased before climbing aboard the ship?
    Indeed... and I like Swindle's comment about it too... makes you wonder.

Tailgate definitely brought home the lols didn't he? Every scene with him was pure gold!
    Heh, yeah... poor bugger crawling around and passing out for millenia! I'm surprised those Energon cubes lasted that long... I guess they don't have any kind of expiry date ... does that mean Energon Cubes remain that way indefinitely until someone uses them? Wow.

And then in contrast you've got the rather disturbed Whirl who's equally engaging but for totally different reasons. It's just terrific stuff!
    Yeah, I like how is character fits in with how we've seen Whirl previously too -- it's interesting to see an Autobot being portrayed as an absolute d!ck from time to time instead of always showing them as "goodie heroic" characters.

Re: Prowl I think he receives the message before they leave, mainly because of his comments in the last cell of page 7. Not too sure though!
    More intrigue!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Every character so far has a distinct personality (and they're almost all lunatics, so thank Primus they have a psychiatrist on board.)
    And the psychiatrist is a collector! I felt really bad for him when Cyclonus and Whirl made him drop his collection box... ouch. XD

I don't understand the complaints about the art - Roche does a much better job on art than any issue of a Transformers ongoing in years. And I can actually understand what's going on. The art in Chaos was... chaos.
    I think it's the designs that some people may not like rather than the art itself. But I agree, at least the characters here are distinct and you can tell who's who. Hey, did anyone else spot Xaaron?

"It's authentic. Check out the rubsign."
    Yeah, that put a big smile on me.

Did anyone notice the Japanese Micromaster Launcher with Tailgate? That was cool.
    Yup!

better than any single issue that I have read since Last Stand of the Wreckers even if Drift is in it
    You know why Drift isn't as annoying so far? Because he doesn't do that much! It's like Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars Episodes II and III... he's not as annoying as in Episode I because he was less prominent! Let's hope Drift stays this way (too bad he wasn't one of the ones who burnt up... poor Fizzle & Waverider )

I must say that I do enjoy re-reading this issue. The artwork is reminiscent of Geoff Senior's stuff in G1 -- stylised and dynamic.

Ultra Magnus has, for some time, been becoming my favourite character in IDW's G1verse... and he really shines through for me here.

Hot Rod: "Magnus, your definition of a wayward character is an Autobot who wears his badge at an angle."
    Ultra Magnus: "Yes. In direct contravention with the Military Regalia Act."
    ^LOVE IT!

Also when we see him looking at Hot Rod and Drift through Magnus' eyes and the footnotes that appear under each one, especially Drift and his "Must resist urge to arrest on sight" note.

He's really true to his original tech specs persona and the whole "Consistency is victory" motto (which is my own personal life motto ) Just another reason to love MTMTE (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I must say that I do enjoy re-reading this issue.
    It does hold up well to mutliple later re-reads and is an enjoyable issue even of the fifth or later reading.

Last comic (I only really read the tf ones) that I've re-read for enjoyment as many times as this one was Spotlight Kup...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I missed out on buying this issue, so if anyone who is attending the Parra fair and has access to another issue #1 can please pick 1 up for me and Ill pay you there...

though from the teaser pages Ive seen it is a lighter fun approach whereas RID is a bit darker, grittier in theme... having read only RID that is my small observation...

RID is out now, for some time.. sadly PZ Parra wont re -order MTMTE #1 sigh...
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    RID is out now, for some time.. sadly PZ Parra wont re -order MTMTE #1 sigh...
    Seems PZ sells out these #1 issues quickly, I only got one copy of Mtmte, but they were all out of RID by Friday afternoon. Had to get it for other means until I can acquire a paper copy, maybe even in the trade.

Mtmte is certainly the superior comic for now. (not that RID is bad!)
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)