Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers: Autocracy

Issue 11 finally appeared in the Transformers app today so I clicked and got it.

I'm a bit over TFTM being quoted and paraphrased in other Transformers fiction, and even though three quotes in ten pages isn't that much, it's felt like too much. Sure this is written by the author of TFTM but that doesn't give it a pass.

But then I thought more about Metroplex's comment at the start and it got me thinking. This isn't 5 million years ago on Cybertron at all!

This is an alternate/altered reality/dream of some sort. This is a comic book story like "Heroes Reborn", "Age of Apocalypse", "Flashpoint", "House of M". Something happened during Chaos when Optimus Prime opened the Matrix and everything went white. The Autobots and Decepticons awoke in a Cybertron based on their memories pre-war, but the details were slightly wrong or reflected their current situations, rather than where these Transformers were back then or what actually happened.

It bugged me from issue one that "young" Bumblebee was a police officer fighting alongside his "idols" years before the war began. Orion's fellow officers just happen to be key Autobots 5 million years later too? Hot Rod being the leader of a faction before the war began doesn't fit the young upstart. Silverbolt not getting over his fear of flying despite 5 million years as a jet? All of this makes more sense if it's the characters where they were (in a figurative sense) at the point of issue 30.

The art's dream like quality? Of course because it is a sort of dream. The same art style that we saw in Chaos? Of course because this is part of the Chaos story. Familiar phrases? Well that happens in dreams too!

Metroplex, as an ancient Cybertronian, can see through the illusion. At least somewhat. He knows something has changed. (He's the Bishop/Flash/Wolverine of the story - just not as proactive about setting it all right again, probably because he knows that's not his role in all of this). Ironhide's vision (#31) likely comes after all of this, a side effect or a hopeful wish, a glimpse of what could be.

Everything happening is a metaphor. Optimus Prime, who gave up leadership of the Autobots after Ironhide's death, is being forced to truly reclaim the position. The only way he can really unleash the power of the Matrix to stop the D-Void is if he's sure of who he is. So he's been cast in a universe, to a time were there was some doubt and is forced to reclaim the Matrix and make a stand against the Decepticons. To become Optimus Prime one more time.

With all this in mind, I actually like the story more and look forward to getting the last chapter and reading it all in one go to see if my theory holds true on re-reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Everything happening is a metaphor. Optimus Prime, who gave up leadership of the Autobots after Ironhide's death, is being forced to truly reclaim the position. The only way he can really unleash the power of the Matrix to stop the D-Void is if he's sure of who he is. So he's been cast in a universe, to a time were there was some doubt and is forced to reclaim the Matrix and make a stand against the Decepticons. To become Optimus Prime one more time.

With all this in mind, I actually like the story more and look forward to getting the last chapter and reading it all in one go to see if my theory holds true on re-reading.
    Love the theory. Even if IDW come out and say "no, this is the definitive in universe history, ignore all the other stuff we've released." I think this is a much more creative and interesting idea.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I thought last issue quoted TFTM too much? This issue repeats an entire scene!

But it's okay, the Matrix/Primus is creating this whole 'virtual reality' scenario anyway and it's aware of the alternate versions of 2005 and is just being a little lazy in scriptwriting. The book ends in a way that helps my theory so I'm going to stick with it and read the story again in whole once I get a printed version.

I thought last issue quoted TFTM too much? This issue
    i thought that to.. and since the events with Acropolex a couple of weeks back it was always going to be a bit of a predictable finish.

i too look forawrd to reading it in hand, although i might give the whole series a read on the train ride home this afternoon.

on the whole tho i have enjoyed the digital exclusive series and i would like to see more series in this format.

Maybe Spotlights would work in this format 12 page stories every 2 weeks....throw in a profile at the end..
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Maybe Spotlights would work in this format 12 page stories every 2 weeks....throw in a profile at the end..
    You're right they can!

What do you know about it lad?

I've just got this feeling.

You're right they can!

What do you know about it lad?

I've just got this feeling.
    i know nothing...wishful thinking.

it just seems the perfect fit for it as a supplement to everything IDW is doing. fortnightly backstories on hundreds of characters that deserve it.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    i know nothing...wishful thinking.

it just seems the perfect fit for it as a supplement to everything IDW is doing. fortnightly backstories on hundreds of characters that deserve it.
    Absolutely-positively-definitely.

Paulbot's been possessed by Flint Dille.

I got nothing out of this issue other than the fact that the onomatopoeic sound Transformers make when they transform is well and truly canonically TSCHE-CHU-CHU-CHE-TSCHE.

I just read Autocracy, and I'm really surprised to find it was so well (or at least adequately) received.

I found this to be the most contradictory, poorly written story arc to date. The dialogue is terrible, with obvious exposition, out-of-character dialogue, jarring panels and forced "fan-pleasing" references. The cast was boring, the plot was boring and it didn't feel like it fit into the IDW early civil war history at all. By the end of it, I ended up hating the Autobots, and thinking the Decepticons were idiots.

Why would the Autobots even end up calling themselves Autobots, if that is the name associated with the oppressive elite ruling class that the populace hates and they themselves rebel against?

This almost makes Costa's rubbish look good. Personally, I find it so bad that this is the only IDW story that I'm just going to pretend never happened. Well, this and when Spike murdered Scrapper.