Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: Robots in Disguise ongoing

I think part two of "Spotlight Soundwave" was superior to part one. I think it might have been better as a standalone spotlight and losing all the Shockwave in the present stuff though.

The take on the cassettes was interesting and I'd like to see that covered a bit more. For instance I can't recall if Steeljaw or Ramhorn have appeared yet in IDW but some sort of look at what it means to be a Transformer with a animal like robot mode in the prewar Functionist society could be good. I always prefer continuites where they aren't actually animals - discussion on G1 Animal Sidekicks Sentient, Semi-Sentient or Drones (so as not to derail this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I think part two of "Spotlight Soundwave" was superior to part one. I think it might have been better as a standalone spotlight and losing all the Shockwave in the present stuff though.

The take on the cassettes was interesting and I'd like to see that covered a bit more. For instance I can't recall if Steeljaw or Ramhorn have appeared yet in IDW but some sort of look at what it means to be a Transformer with a animal like robot mode in the prewar Functionist society could be good. I always prefer continuites where they aren't actually animals - discussion on G1 Animal Sidekicks Sentient, Semi-Sentient or Drones (so as not to derail this thread).
    I agree, this was an excellent issue of RiD, superior to almost every other issue released this far. I liked the fact that the flashbacks went back in time as the issue went along, it's a different time device. I also enjoyed both art styles, even though they guy do not mesh all that well.

Nice to see some personality in Soundwave, and see he is not just loyally blind to Megatron for no reason. I also enjoyed the connection to most of the cassettes being bottom rung of society and Ratbat being the top.

Wonder where Soundwave actually came from as well, since it seems he had no recollection of his life prior to finding his future cassettes. Institute based?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

So now it's FIRRIB again? I... I can't keep track. I really wish IDW would make up their freakin' minds on this and just stick to either FIRRIB or RIRFIB.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So now it's FIRRIB again? I... I can't keep track. I really wish IDW would make up their freakin' minds on this and just stick to either FIRRIB or RIRFIB.
    I'm RIB as per the cartoon, but in this issue they've gone off a tangent and made him purple?

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

I liked the cover of part one, where they were both black and white/greyscale. Problem solved!

Since after this issue the Dark Cybertron event reverts to the two regular titles, I don't think we need a separate review thread.

I thought I'd throw it in the RiD thread as it featured a heavy RiD based character focus.

As a setup issue, it did a very good job of bringing new and eclipsed readers back up to speed. For new readers, I thought it did a fantastic job of summarising all that has happened already, but was not a good advertisement to try and seduce readers to go and back-read at least the two ongoings.

Using as much Shockwave and prime as they did was smart to hit the casual or Gen 1 fans, but maybe more Soundwave and other iconic characters could have used a page or two of content. Lots of useful names drops as well.

AS for the content of the issue, the retcon makes no sense, and makes me think that the Hearts of Darkness/Infestation events may be written off as possessed Galvatron fake memories or "dreams" which i wouldn't mind. The only thing that bothered me was that Shockwave has been serving a master all this time, something that just doesn't sit right with me having read everything so far. it would have been better (although harder to write and explain) that Shockwave did all of this for himself, only to fall under the powerful sway and influence of Nova Prime once he returns as a side consequence. Would also serve as a decent re-introduction of Nova.

I'm interested in the event, but at the same time, cannot wait for it to end so we can get back to regular MtMtE.

Art, colours, letters all very good, top notch stuff, as it has been almost every releases since the ongoing split.

Speaking of Dark Cybertron, look at the inside of the back cover. There's a group photo that features a certain board member in it - see if you can spot him! Took me about 2 seconds to find him. I showed the pic to mknell this morning and he managed it in a few seconds too.

Yeah we discussed his cameo in the Dark cybertron preview thread a few days ago.

Hopefully he can grab himself a copy. I was thinking of grabbing a spare to get him to sign it, could be worth something one day!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Maybe they like to color swap every now and then. It only takes a couple of spray cans

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Maybe they like to color swap every now and then. It only takes a couple of spray cans
    Since it seems to take next to nothing to get a new body for dozens of bots and cons when resources are next to non existant, it certainly would seem that a paint change would be a blink of an eye job!