Thread: TF Prime toys general release - any good?

Default TF Prime toys general release - any good?

I saw some recent pics and a video review of TF Prime Voyager (or the equivelant lame new name for this size class) Megs and I wasn't that impressed. It seemed to consist largely of Hasbro grey with very little paint apps. Compared to the Deluxe version I was very disappointed. The deluxe Megs looks absolutely amazing in my view, right down to the metallic paint apps especially across his chest which really add to how appealing this figure is.

Furthermore the deluxe version has far less kibble than the voyager and the front end generally looks much nicer.

What looks to be the general release voyager OP is also a let down, he seems to have more grey (rather than red) around his chest like the first edition has and the clear blue gun does not do anything for me, give the original first edition black version any day.

I know these are early pictures of UK releases and I am really hoping the general release figures are much the same as their first edition counterparts. I hope that the other deluxe figures from the first and second wave aren't affected by Hasbro's apparent cheap-out otherwise I might have to bite the bullet and fork out more for those first editions. I had really hoped that the general release might have looked much the same, if not better than the earlier releases.

Anyway was just wondering if anyone else was feeling the same way about this or even better, had information that completely contradicts everything I have just mentioned. If the latter is the case then I would be very excited to hear about it because it would mean my procrastination in buying the TF Prime figures was worth it.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Remember that the First Edition figures are different molds to the regular releases. (which is slightly frustrating, and a tad weird)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    I saw some recent pics and a video review of TF Prime Voyager (or the equivelant lame new name for this size class) Megs and I wasn't that impressed. It seemed to consist largely of Hasbro grey with very little paint apps. Compared to the Deluxe version I was very disappointed. The deluxe Megs looks absolutely amazing in my view, right down to the metallic paint apps especially across his chest which really add to how appealing this figure is.

Furthermore the deluxe version has far less kibble than the voyager and the front end generally looks much nicer.
    I agree 100%. The deluxe Megatron may be a shorty but he's a much tidier toy compared to the voyager if you ask me. Having said that, I'm expecting (hoping) to see an Earth mode Megatron in series 2 and will wait for a toy of that (not a fan of these rubbish Cybertron mode Megatrons Hasbro seem to love).

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_Prime View Post
    What looks to be the general release voyager OP is also a let down, he seems to have more grey (rather than red) around his chest like the first edition has and the clear blue gun does not do anything for me, give the original first edition black version any day.

I know these are early pictures of UK releases and I am really hoping the general release figures are much the same as their first edition counterparts. I hope that the other deluxe figures from the first and second wave aren't affected by Hasbro's apparent cheap-out otherwise I might have to bite the bullet and fork out more for those first editions. I had really hoped that the general release might have looked much the same, if not better than the earlier releases.

Anyway was just wondering if anyone else was feeling the same way about this or even better, had information that completely contradicts everything I have just mentioned. If the latter is the case then I would be very excited to hear about it because it would mean my procrastination in buying the TF Prime figures was worth it.
    In my humble opinion, if you're collecting the Prime line you really want the FE's of Prime, Bumblebee and Bulkhead. Takara versions if budget allows.

When it comes to Arcee, I think it's worth waiting for the inevitable RiD release. It will undoubtedly be smaller (so better scaled to the others, the FE is ridiculously out of scale) and will hopefully have a decent face this time. Can't stand the smirk on the FE toy, it really ruins the toy for me and is so not the Transformers Prime Arcee we see on the show.

Cliffjumper I think will really divide people. I really don't like the FE and am holding out for pics of the Takara RiD release to see if it's worth buying over the already kick butt looking hasbro RiD release. Damn that toy looks awesome!

Vehicon, the Hasbro release is more show accurate but I still want the Takara one as well, it's freaking bad ass!!

Starscream, Hasbro FE deluxe all the way. Show accuracy FTW. Looks to be a faultless toy.

Bumblebee, Takara FE all the way. It has the show accurate yellow. The RiD Bee is simply awful.

Err, who else is there...Well that's all I can think of at the second

I think what has annoyed me most about what I have seen of the RIDs are the weapons. And clear plastic parts of the robot tht don't light up. Meh. Little bit disappointed about that. Plus, I think the FE OP looks nicer than the RID, mainly coz of the RIDs kibble.

I'm considering getting the Takara and RiD Vehicons. As a general rule I don't like having multiples of the same mold (aside from a few exceptions, i.e. the Seekers, Rumble and Frenzy, etc) so I generally don't go army-building, but this solves that.
    They'll probably be the Odieverse verrsions of these guys.

TakaraTOMY's FE Bumblebee looks to have corrected the lower breastplate problem on the Hasbro version - cos the TakaraTOMY version is packaged in robot mode and those panels are open.

TakTOMY's Voyager Optimus Prime also has sweet colours too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Cliffjumper I think will really divide people. I really don't like the FE and am holding out for pics of the Takara RiD release to see if it's worth buying over the already kick butt looking hasbro RiD release. Damn that toy looks awesome!
    Yep it might divide people I really like the FE Cliffjumper (it's my favourite of all the Hasbro First Editions), and after seeing comparison pics with the first wave version, I have zero interest in the regular release.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Paulbot I caught that article this morning and like you, it pretty much made up my mind about which version to purchase. The images of general release so far look like utter cr4p in my opinion. I think it will be FE all the way for me, I'm not too fussed about inaccurate scales as long as the quality is good. Might have to get in quick though, looks like Hasbro have decided to stop making these for the time being at least.

On a related note, how's the FE Vehicon @Goki? I'm considering getting one, along with a FE Starscream.

The vehicle mode looks very Batmobilish... body's a bit too low for my liking as it makes the robot kibble scrape along whatever surface he rolls on. Robot mode is okay, but those toes bug me (they flop in way too easily). I like how the gun can sit on the bonnet for an assault vehicle config.