View Poll Results: TFPrime Dlx Wheeljack - worth buying?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 76.19%
  • Only if...

3 14.29%
  • No

2 9.52%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime DLX Wheeljack

Picked this toy up yesterday - a nice solid Deluxe figure. The lack of an insignia bugged me before I got the toy, but since getting the toy it bugs me even more! The reason for this is that the toy, by design allows for an insignia to be placed on the mid-chest panel (where the insignia appears on the package art) but this panel folds away and is completely concealed in robot mode and replaced by the two back "wings". In other words, the mid chest panel is "faux kibble," meaning that if Hasbro had placed an Autobot logo tampograph on that panel for robot mode, it's not visible in vehicle mode and therefore doesn't detract from the "robot in disguise" aesthetic of the vehicle mode.

In this sense it's a lot like Transformers Car Robot (e.g. Fire Convoy, Car Robo Bros etc.) where the faction logos were only on robot mode parts but not on any of the alt mode panels, which I think is such a simple but clever idea. Quite a few movie-verse toys do the same thing too (e.g. TF1 DLX Jazz, ROTF DLX Skids, DOTM DLX Quejack etc.). TFPrime Wheeljack's allows for the Autobot logo to be placed on the mid-chest panel which would, by virtue of design, be completely concealed and replaced with different alt mode panels. So I see no valid reason why Hasbro has omitted placing a logo on this toy!

In fact - and I mentioned this to some guys at the meet on Sunday - what I would have done is place a rub sign on the mid-chest panel (yes it's a small panel, but you can get small rub signs - look at the little rubs signs used on some Beast Wars figures). And make say 1 in every 10 or so Wheeljacks carry a Decepticon rub sign, i.e. making him Makeshift! There would be _nothing_ on the packaging to tell you which was which, the only way to find out would be to buy the toy! You'd be effectively blind-packing the character's allegiance (and thus who the character really is)! You could put a small blurb on the back of the card advertising this feature - saying something like "Hey kids, have you really purchased Wheeljack or is it the secret Decepticon spy Makeshift! Rub the seal of authenticity on his chest to find out!" <evil.grin>

Anyway, I stuck an Autobot logo sticker on the mid-chest panel of my Wheeljack. It's oversized but it was the smallest one I had. Better than having no logo at all. My only other gripe would be the sword handles, oh sorry, Battle Sword (as opposed to the kind of sword you don't use in battle?!? (o_O) I await to see Hasbro release a toy with Battle Bazookas ) handles -- they're rather long which means that they kinda get in the way when you wanna quickly spin his hands around during play. On the plus side it allows for a double-handed grip, which I suspect is the intention. The ability to stow the swords away at the bottom is okay, but not as neat as say on Generations Drift. On the plus side they can be turned outward for his vehicle attack mode. But overall this is quite a nice and fun toy.

Photos!

Double-handed grip:

Single-handed grip, "Nito-ryu" (dual swords):

Fighting with two swords is really hard and a very highly advanced skill (very few fighters ever successfully master it). That's how hardcore Driftjack is!!

....I guess you can never have enough Vehicons....

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    ....I guess you can never have enough Vehicons....
    I only have one Vehicon. I just took 8 different shots of the same Vehicon in different positions then composited the photos in MSPaint. (if you look again you can see the very obvious seam lines )

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I only have one Vehicon. I just took 8 different shots of the same Vehicon in different positions then composited the photos in MSPaint. (if you look again you can see the very obvious seam lines )
    Wow... had me fooled. Nice work
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Thank you. You can look here if you wanna see what the eight different shots looked like before I composited them. (^_^)

Other uses for the TFP Wheeljack: Decepticon Battle Chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Other uses for the TFP Wheeljack: Decepticon Battle Chargers!
    Very nice - those are better than the original colours!

Picked this guy up on the spur of the monent.

It has been almost a year since I bought a TF toy off the shelf. Sad innit?

Very solid robot mode, I like it, the swords are very adaptable witht heir different pegs. He can hold them like Strider Hiryu if need be, which gets a plus in my book. He also reminds me of the Lancia Stratos in Sega rally as well. One thing I would have liked is a way to hold his swords on his back in robot mode.

One thing that really bugs me is this:

Hard to believe they are both deluxes...

I can sort of see this turning into a Hot rod as well. He reeks of Animated hot rod.

Oh , I voted only if... you can get him cheap. Definitely not worth $30 Aus!!!

I may be in the minority here but I'm actually glad they're making Transformers smaller, it's like they know I have bugger all shelving space left! What's upsetting for me is when the price doesn't reflect this change, and that's the reason why I'll be buying my bots overseas.

Tets, now that you mention it I too can see the resemblance to Animated Rodimus. Wow! Really hoping for this toy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    One thing I would have liked is a way to hold his swords on his back in robot mode.
    SMHFConvoy posted this pic in his initial post on this thread showing how it can be done:

I've tried it myself - it does work, albeit sitting loosely. Otherwise you can clip them onto the holes on the sides of his upper arms.

One thing that kinda bugs me about the vehicle mode are the unsightly open gaps on the front and rear. I could probably forgive the gaps on the back, but having them on the front too is kinda disappointing.

Here's a pic of the toy in vehicle mode - note the gap up front (no grill, no front fender!)

Attack vehicle mode

I am impressed that the vehicle mode still rolls quite well even with the swords attached - however upon closer inspection it seems that the blades do touch the surface, which has be worried that the paint might get scratched when vroom-vrooming this toy over rough surfaces. So I recommend not leaving them attached there during play. See these pics:

Top: no swords attached, Bottom: swords attached.
    As you can see the blades contact the surface, so there's potential for scraping.

I've also placed an Autobot logo on the mid-chest robot mode panel. As you can see in the photos above you can't see the logo in vehicle mode - but after I transform it to robot mode...

...so the toy's design easily allows for a faction logo to be unseen in vehicle mode, but visible in robot mode (it wouldn't surprise me if this was an intentional design element). I cannot fathom why Hasbro has chosen not to exploit this feature of the toy's design and just whacked a small logo on the mid-chest part.