Page 24 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41419202122232425262728293444 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Last night we practiced parrying for a while then had to partner up with someone of similar size and play forehead slaps. Due to bad weather hardly anyone was there which meant I got partnered with the Sempai...Needless to say I got my brains scrambled pretty bad. The Sensei got a good laugh out of it. Although I did imoress both of them when we had a grappling session after that and I made a purple belt tap with a wishbone leg lock (I did have a little bit of a size advantage but he won bronze for grappling at the KRMAS nationals so I think it was even).

I'm getting graded again this weekend. Been going for 2 terms and have been graded twice. The Sensei told me last night he was impressed with my determination and commitment.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Got my orange belt... very sore but happy

Also got to see a brown belt get graded. Apart from the 3 seperate katas he performed he had 10x 2 minute sparring rounds. Geez it was brutal

Congrats Bartrim It's a great feeling getting to the next level isn't it because you have something to show for all your efforts.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Good work Bartrim

This morning we had a special outdoor training session. It started drizzling about halfway through, but we persevered. Then it started sprinkling as we went through the last form and the instructor sped things up (haha) and just as we finished it started downpouring. So we camped under a nearby pergola having tea and munchies and a social chat... but still getting saturated from the stupid gravity-defying upward rain!! Joy... (;-_-)

Thanks guys. This grading was held in the middle of the day instead of in the night because one of the head guys from Sydney was down our way so the heat made it even more gruelling but the reward or the more worthwhile.

From here

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU
    3) Get back into Muay Thai/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/MMA/Taekwando.
    In my experience/observation, if you're primarily interested in learning martial arts for practical self defence, I would recommend BJJ out of that lot. But that's just in my personal experience/observation -- if you happen to find those other styles work for you for self defence, then by all means keep training in them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    From here

In my experience/observation, if you're primarily interested in learning martial arts for practical self defence, I would recommend BJJ out of that lot. But that's just in my personal experience/observation -- if you happen to find those other styles work for you for self defence, then by all means keep training in them.
    Nah it's not actually about self defense for me. It's to maintain my fitness regime. The place I used to train at offered all of these styles (except TKD), plus Karate and Boxing as part of the membership so I just trained in all of them.

Having said that, BJJ is probably by far the art that I was most keen on learning

Fairy 'nuff. BJJ certainly is a very... 'intimate' fighting style. As are all forms of grappling and wrestling really, but it's funny watching people who've never done anything like it get freaked out by the extremely-close personal contact

It's also a rather boring (IMO) style to watch in competition. But you blink sometimes and the next thing you know, one opponent taps out and you're left wondering "Wait...what? What just happened?"

It can happen so fast. But I've always been into submission maneuvers. Ever since watching WCW/WWF/WWE since I was a kid :P Which is why it interests me so much.

Can anyone suggest good places to train in Muay Thai between Melb CBD and South East suburbs?

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU View Post
    It's also a rather boring (IMO) style to watch in competition. But you blink sometimes and the next thing you know, one opponent taps out and you're left wondering "Wait...what? What just happened?" It can happen so fast.
    Which, from a self-defence POV, is a good thing. Most of the more effectual fighting styles are actually really boring and dull to watch - that's because they're not designed to entertain an audience, but just to finish a fight as soon as possible. Bushido has a famous saying of "One hit one kill" -- the ideal dream scenario where you can finish a fight in just a single move (highly unlikely, but one should still definitely aim to end the fight in as few moves as possible). This is why I see learning martial arts for self defence and learning it as a competitive sport as two entirely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU
    But I've always been into submission maneuvers. Ever since watching WCW/WWF/WWE since I was a kid :P Which is why it interests me so much.
    I dunno about sport fighting, but one good thing about learning submissions, holds, grapples etc. from a self-defence POV is that it's a more passive means of defending yourself (whereas striking/hitting is more aggressive and can potentially put the defender into legal strife if s/he uses excessive force in self defence). That's why police are well trained in submissions and holds - so they can subdue and control an opponent but without actually hitting them.

Can't help you with recommending any schools in Melbourne I'm afraid.