Page 25 of 93 FirstFirst ... 51520212223242526272829303545 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Yeah I agree with you. I'd never compete in whatever art I choose to train in. It's just not me, or why I'm looking at training. Which is why I think I'm looking at training in two different arts. Muay Thai to help me keep fit and BJJ because I actually have an interest in learning the art.

i want to learn mai thai(sp) or is there a better self defence? im looking at defending myself against groups of 5 say.

Muay Thai is a competitive sport martial art (and Thailand's national sport). If you're interested in self defence, I would personally recommend learning a more traditional style (e.g. Muay Boran). But that's just my personal recommendation - it pays to "shop around" and see what works best for you. Most martial arts school offer at least one free trial lesson.

Fighting against more than one opponent is an EXTREMELY DIFFICULT thing to do (fighting just 1 vs 1 against a competent opponent is jolly hard enough) and is a more advanced form of fighting, and as such most schools won't teach it until you're more advanced. If you're looking for a style that teaches at least the core principles of multiple opponent fighting from relatively early on, then I'd probably recommend Traditional Long Fist, particularly the Islamic version which was used by Muslim warriors as far out as Turkey during the Crusades. They employ wide sweeping/arcing strikes which serve to improve your upper strength and also generate more force to penetrate an armoured opponent. Beware of the "Modern Wushu" styles of Long Fist which are designed more for performance entertainment - they have lots of very pretty acrobatic and gymnastic moves which would look great on film, but otherwise fairly useless in a real fight.

But whatever style you choose, the basic rule with fighting multiple opponents is to 'break them down' to fighting one at a time. Never let yourself get caught between two or more people (although if you do, I find Long Fist has techniques to deal with getting caught in between, see 0:28-0:38 of the 2nd video link above). But it's still by no means an ideal situation.

But no matter what, fighting 2 or more opponents is really REALLY hard and extremely dangerous. Always remember that the best form of self defence is to avoid getting into fights. If you're afraid that a group of people are going to attack you (or even concerned that one person wants to attack you), then Contact The Police. -- you don't need to wait for them to make a move. If you have genuine reasons to be concerned about people wanting to hurt you, you can contact the police and the police may even be able to place an AVO against them on your behalf - at least in NSW they can. For FREE WA legal advice contact Legal Aid;
    1300 650 579
    http://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 11th January 2011 at 01:45 AM.

just looking for the best self defence style for any kind of situation

I'd say the best defence against five opponents AC is learning to, what is referred to in this neck of the woods, "pissbolt".
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

The best thing to do is the first rule we are taught at karate. Avoid the Situation. If there is somewhere you go/hang where people are harrassing you then I would suggest changing where you hang out or contacting the police.

From a technical point I've found the style I learn to be very practical. I study Kumiai-Ryu. We actually had one session last year about being attacked by multiple opponents and how life isn't like a cheesy 80's action flick where they attack one at a time.

http://www.krmas.com.au/mainpage.html
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I'd say the best defence against five opponents AC is learning to, what is referred to in this neck of the woods, "pissbolt".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim
    Avoid the Situation.
    All excellent advice. The best way to survive a fight is to not get into them. Self-defence techniques are useful in the unlikely event that avoidance is not an immediate option - i.e. if your attacker is obstructing your nearest exit. Even then, your self-defence should primarily be about making said exit available again then running for it at top speed. Staying around to fight when you don't have to is just stupid.

Took some photos yesterday of Animated Rodimus doing various kicks. The names of kicks may vary from other styles/schools, but I'm just gonna use the names I'm familiar with.

Heel Stomp Kick
    Similar to the Front Kick or Forward Kick, only that it impacts with the heel of the foot, not the ball.

Side Kick:
    The kicking foot should be rolled over so that the side of the foot is in contact, but the limited articulation of the toy's foot doesn't allow me to do that.

Shin Kick:

Lift Kick:
    My favourite.

Door Shutting Kick:
    aka Roundhouse Kick

Backward/Reverse Whipping Kick:

whats the best way to gather strength in your kicks and punches? building muscles or repeated action? both?

the whipping kick looks hard to produce strength behind it to do any damage

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    whats the best way to gather strength in your kicks and punches? building muscles or repeated action? both?
    Both. Buy yourself some velcro strap on wrist/ankle weights and wear them during training.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon
    the whipping kick looks hard to produce strength behind it to do any damage
    Not all kicks are necessarily used for striking. The whipping kick is used as a 'dumping' move - typically preceded by hooking your foot behind an opponent's whilst simultaneously placing your hand on their shoulder, then simultaneously sweeping the leg back while tilting forward and pushing forward hard on the shoulder (hence why Rodimus' left arm is pointing forward)... you're then pushing the opponent through their centre of gravity (what some martial artists refer to as the Dan'tian).